How to stop cat from puking on my bed?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
I have a cat that eats to fast/gorges and vomits due to it. She'll vomit almost anywhere... Our solution was pretty simple, the slow eat bowls are awesome. Of course, it turns out she has a skin allergy to plastic and her chin started getting rashes, so we switched to a metal version.

Plastic: http://www.amazon.com/Skid-Stop-Slow.../dp/B00251EPL2
Metal: http://www.petfooddirect.com/produc...inless-Steel-Slow-Feed-Bowl-for-Dogs-and-Cats

All that being said, observe the cat's behavior before the vomiting, and if its not some kind of gorging, take it to the vet. It may be allergic to food or have some other disorder.

Our cat had the chin thing and they told us to switch to metal also.
she also eats too fast. when i work long days she waits for me to come home to eat, then eats the whole bowl and pukes it up. I started going in there and telling her not to eat too fast. she listened and no more puking!

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
She's really stubborn about this. So I've been closing my bedroom door but her litter is in the spare room which also has a bed, so she puked on that one today. At least those sheets fit in my washer but still a royal pita and just comes to show how she really badly wants to puke on beds/couches suddenly. Basically the hardest parts to clean, she has to puke there. I don't know WTF is up with her.

I'm thinking of wrapping the spare bed in a vapor barrier, and doing the same for mine. Just need some kind of rigging so it's tight on it or she'll just go under it. Tape wont work, she'll just chew it. Maybe a rope all around the bed with a small length of bungee cord to tighten it or something. But then she'll puke on the couch so I have to wrap that too. Getting a bit ridiculous.

Another alternative to wrapping everything in plastic, I might just lock her in the bathroom at all times. I'll move her litter and her food there. Not much can be damaged in there. I never thought it would get to this, but I'm at a point where I don't even love her as much anymore. She's become a real pest.

I'll try the vet again, but I have a feeling they'll just tell me it's normal, but I'll insist on getting tests done. Guess I'll end up putting a few grand on the credit line over this. :/ Hard to get a hold of them too because I finish at 4:30 and they close at that time. Short of all these extreme measures, I'm seriously considering the unthinkable, and getting rid of her. Just don't know what to do anymore.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
She's really stubborn about this. So I've been closing my bedroom door but her litter is in the spare room which also has a bed, so she puked on that one today. At least those sheets fit in my washer but still a royal pita and just comes to show how she really badly wants to puke on beds/couches suddenly. Basically the hardest parts to clean, she has to puke there. I don't know WTF is up with her.

I'm thinking of wrapping the spare bed in a vapor barrier, and doing the same for mine. Just need some kind of rigging so it's tight on it or she'll just go under it. Tape wont work, she'll just chew it. Maybe a rope all around the bed with a small length of bungee cord to tighten it or something. But then she'll puke on the couch so I have to wrap that too. Getting a bit ridiculous.

Another alternative to wrapping everything in plastic, I might just lock her in the bathroom at all times. I'll move her litter and her food there. Not much can be damaged in there. I never thought it would get to this, but I'm at a point where I don't even love her as much anymore. She's become a real pest.

I'll try the vet again, but I have a feeling they'll just tell me it's normal, but I'll insist on getting tests done. Guess I'll end up putting a few grand on the credit line over this. :/ Hard to get a hold of them too because I finish at 4:30 and they close at that time. Short of all these extreme measures, I'm seriously considering the unthinkable, and getting rid of her. Just don't know what to do anymore.

Yeah I'd get a 2nd opinion on that too, can't be normal. Failing that vapour barrier the cat!

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Dogs ARE better and more fun, however they require more attention. When you work all day it's kinda hard to own one. The nice thing about a cat is they poop in a litter box and are content alone. The bad part is they puke. In the case of mine, puke abnormally.

So I booked an appointment at the vet for Monday. I'll keep the cat locked in a room till then. I just hope they can do something, and that it wont end up making me max out the credit line.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Dogs shit on the floor, piss on the chair, hump your leg, stink, and make really irritating sounds. I'd rather have a pet rock than a dog.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Dogs ARE better and more fun, however they require more attention. When you work all day it's kinda hard to own one. The nice thing about a cat is they poop in a litter box and are content alone. The bad part is they puke. In the case of mine, puke abnormally.

So I booked an appointment at the vet for Monday. I'll keep the cat locked in a room till then. I just hope they can do something, and that it wont end up making me max out the credit line.

Cats normally don't puke, something is wrong.

There are pros and cons to dogs and cats.

No animal is content alone.

Most cats aren't friendly due to poor socialization.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Good luck. It's common for geriatric cats to do this, unfortunately there is nothing you can do, assuming you've taken the cat to the vet and had a basic check out. You can google it there are tons of people with the same complaint. I've got friends with three cats and ALL of those fvckers puke. One only occasionally another more so and the other at least once/day.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001

Same vet or different? If it seems like they're giving you the run around or shrugging it off, find a different vet.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Good luck. It's common for geriatric cats to do this, unfortunately there is nothing you can do, assuming you've taken the cat to the vet and had a basic check out. You can google it there are tons of people with the same complaint. I've got friends with three cats and ALL of those fvckers puke. One only occasionally another more so and the other at least once/day.

Lots of cats are on bad diet, including overfeeding.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I wikied geriatric, from what I gather it means elderly. My cat is around 5+ years old now... at what point is a cat considered old?

Now she wont hold food at all, she just pukes right away. I have her locked in a single room with her litter and food to contain the puke. The food only makes things worse, but she has to eat something... Though I'm wondering if changing it up would be better. Should I give her tuna or something, or is that going to make things worse?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
That doesn't sound right. I think there's some kind of real issue going on there. I'd try different food. Tuna might not be bad, but I wouldn't give her a whole can.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I wikied geriatric, from what I gather it means elderly. My cat is around 5+ years old now... at what point is a cat considered old?

Now she wont hold food at all, she just pukes right away. I have her locked in a single room with her litter and food to contain the puke. The food only makes things worse, but she has to eat something... Though I'm wondering if changing it up would be better. Should I give her tuna or something, or is that going to make things worse?

Sounds trolling now.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
That doesn't sound right. I think there's some kind of real issue going on there. I'd try different food. Tuna might not be bad, but I wouldn't give her a whole can.

Something is definitely wrong. OP, is it drinking water?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yeah she drinks quite a bit. She does not drink from her bowl though, she never did. I have to leave the tap running for her to go, she'll be drinking for like 10 minutes until I can finally go turn it off, sometimes she'll go back for more 5 minutes later. She'll only drink cold running water.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I have a cat that use to puke all the time. Shaved most of her hair off. Hasn't puked in a long time. You might want to try that.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
eww shaved cat lol. But if that's what it takes...

I was feeling so bad I ended up leaving her out to roam for a bit. Watching her like a hawk so she does not puke on the couch or something.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
If a cat does something to your bed, shoes, or any other item you spend a lot of time on it's trying to tell you something.

Your cat is sick. Get a vet who can diagnose it. Change food.