How to set fan speed rpm to 60% on automatic

HuNTeR-

Oct 9, 2015
Cheers to all.Please help me with a suggestion.I have a big problem with my video card.I have an gtx 980ti reference card.Well, all is fine in idle my video card have interval between 24-31 degree,but when I launch a game like Wolfenstein II-The new colossus my video card go on 83 degree and is very dangerous.I launch tweak GPU-Z and my video card goes to 83 dgree because Fan Speed RPM on automatic is going to only 45% equivalent with 78-83 degree.If I set manually fan speed rpm to 60% with MSI afterburner ALL is FINE and temp drop to 62 degree.My dilemma is: WTF,why not going on automatic fan speed to 60 percent when a game launches??Why is going only to 45% fan speed rpm?Is there any way to set in NVidia driver or registry windows to going at 60% fan speed rpm when I launch game?I don t want to use always msi afterburner to set fan speed rpm is not fair.In my opinion video card must be cooled when playing game.The noise is not a problem for me,i want goes on automatic to 60% under load.

Flapdrol1337

Golden Member
May 21, 2014
83 doesn't seem all that dangerous to me, but you can use afterburner to make a curve that slowly ramps up to 60% if the card gets hotter, if you're not gaming the card will not use much power so be quite cool and fans will spin down.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
You already mentioned you don't want to use it for whatever reason (principle?), but the easiest way is to use Afterburner (which I imagine most of use to tune fan profiles on Nvidia cards).

HuNTeR-

Oct 9, 2015
you don t understand I don't want to use anymore msi afterburner to set manually fan speed,i want to go on AUTOMATIC on 60 % when I launch a game.I don t understand why is going only to 45%,its a clean suicide.Redacted driver!!!!I don't understand why that card must be so hot and why doesn't rise rpm to 60 percent on AUTOMATIC??I don t understand I swear
In my opinion card must be cooled with more rpm under load,and silence for watching movies or navigate browser
why why why only 45 percent quivalent with only 1800-2000 rpm on automatic under load and WHY not 60% with 2800 rpm with 62 degree under load??
I wil never understand this NVidia conspiracy...

No cursing in tech forums
Usandthem

Last edited by a moderator:

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
83 doesn't seem all that dangerous to me, but you can use afterburner to make a curve that slowly ramps up to 60% if the card gets hotter, if you're not gaming the card will not use much power so be quite cool and fans will spin down.

You already mentioned you don't want to use it for whatever reason (principle?), but the easiest way is to use Afterburner (which I imagine most of use to tune fan profiles on Nvidia cards).

Basically all of this. I have a reference 980Ti, 83 is not dengerous. But if you want to run it cooler, youre going to have to use MSI AB and set a custom fan curve. Thats what I do with my card, not sure why you wouldnt want somthing like that.

you don t understand I don't want to use anymore msi afterburner to set manually fan speed,i want to go on AUTOMATIC on 60 % when I launch a game.I don t understand why is going only to 45%,its a clean suicide. Redacted driver!!!!

Oh, no you dont have to set it manually, afterburner has a user defined automatic fan control section:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsHVhZ_ARn4

Also im pretty sure profanity isnt permitted in the tech forums, might want to edit that out before a mod does it fo ryou.

Last edited by a moderator:

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Op you're asking how to set a dynamic fan curve. Someone explained it to you. For your future reference though you're asking about how to set a dynamic fan curve for if you need help on this subject in the future. Good luck op I understand your frustration but we'll get you to a good spot don't worry.

HuNTeR-

Oct 9, 2015
is not fair...video card in my opinion must be coled suitable with no program like msi afterburner.Video card in my opinion must be coled with more rpm on automatic under load
a video card must not depend on a program like msi afterburner.I don t understand NVidia its like a conspiracy

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
is not fair...video card in my opinion must be coled suitable with no program like msi afterburner.Video card in my opinion must be coled with more rpm on automatic under load
a video card must not depend on a program like msi afterburner.I don t understand NVidia its like a conspiracy

I guess your opinion might just be wrong then, the card functions fine without the program, but having it makes everything better. 83C is not too hot for these cards at all.

HuNTeR-

Oct 9, 2015
I guess your opinion might just be wrong then, the card functions fine without the program, but having it makes everything better. 83C is not too hot for these cards at all.
but why that card must working so hot with 83 under load?it's not easier if the rpm rises automatically under load and card run coled with only 62 degree??For me 83 is very dangerous is very close to throttling
If I play a session of 2-3 hours at 83 degree continuously is not very safe for that card.Why nvidia doesn t implement in driver to run more rpm under load and run so hotter.why why why???

especially because it is a reference card,its a suicide I swear I don t understand

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
If you close MSI Afterburner after you have set the fan, the fan stays under the last instruction it received. You will have to set the fan speed after each reboot of course. At least this is what happens on my 1070. You can check with gpuz to see if the fan indeed stays at 60% with MSI Afterburner closed.

The temperature/fan curve is set in the BIOS of the video card. This is a manufacturer decision. Since this is a reference card, they are quite probably following Nvidia's guidelines, but maybe there is a BIOS with more aggressive fan curve. I don't see the reason you should go in such lengths however.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
but why that card must working so hot with 83 under load?it's not easier if the rpm rises automatically under load and card run coled with only 62 degree??For me 83 is very dangerous is very close to throttling
If I play a session of 2-3 hours at 83 degree continuously is not very safe for that card.Why nvidia doesn t implement in driver to run more rpm under load and run so hotter.why why why???

especially because it is a reference card,its a suicide I swear I don t understand

Ive already explained to you why the card will hit 83C under load during gaming sessions, its because everyone including nvidia knows thats not a dangerous temp to be at, theyre more concerned with acoustics.

https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-980-ti/specifications

HuNTeR-

Oct 9, 2015
Ive already explained to you why the card will hit 83C under load during gaming sessions, its because everyone including nvidia knows thats not a dangerous temp to be at, theyre more concerned with acoustics.

https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-980-ti/specifications
we need acustic only in idle,watching a movies or browsing internet NOT under load.Underline NOT.Under load I prefer MORE RPM with less degree instead acustic,and I prefer to my card run on 62 degree with more rpm instead 83 degree with less rpm,even if is noisy in load.I think many people doesn t understand my upset..
Thank you all anyway :((
I repeat my self is a suicide for a reference card with weaker coling than custom or water to run so hot with less rpm.I think NVidia is not conscious.......83 degree in long session of gaming is very close to throttle ,is very dangerous in my opinion,but who am I to judge them no?Im just a simple customer.they never care about us......

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
we need acustic only in idle,watching a movies or browsing internet NOT under load.Underline NOT.Under load I prefer MORE RPM with less degree instead acustic,and I prefer to my card run on 62 degree with more rpm instead 83 degree with less rpm,even if is noisy in load.I think many people doesn t understand my upset..
Thank you all anyway :((
I repeat my self is a suicide for a reference card with weaker coling than custom or water to run so hot with less rpm.I think NVidia is not conscious.......83 degree in long session of gaming is very close to throttle ,is very dangerous in my opinion,but who am I to judge them no?Im just a simple customer.they never care about us......

Well my MSI shuts off the fans totally under 50c. How did I fix it so my fans run on a constant curve? MSI Afterburner. Done.

It looks like you are reading way too much into this "issue".

Guru

May 5, 2017
Mod the bios. Maxwell cards bios can be modded and you can edit the fan profile to suit your needs. Make sure to backup the bios though, so if anything goes wrong you can restore the original one.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Well my MSI shuts off the fans totally under 50c. How did I fix it so my fans run on a constant curve? MSI Afterburner. Done.

It looks like you are reading way too much into this "issue".
Eh I can see where he's coming from we can try to show some sympathy even if the manner of posting is....
He's confused as to why he needs another program which is understandable.

It's just the way Nvidia is with design philosophy imo. They steam line the experience as much as possible.

Amd has been trying to give very robust drivers to eliminate the need for external programs. For what op wants,you can achieve it in wattman.

It just is what it is though what op wants nvidia has no current plans that we know of of implementing.

I think what op should realize is that what he is asking for was always done with third party software until amd started to put it into their drivers. Op shouldn't have expected to have control of fans under the Nvidia drivers the way he expected to.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Eh I can see where he's coming from we can try to show some sympathy even if the manner of posting is....

It's just the way Nvidia is with design philosophy imo. They steam line the experience as much as possible.

Amd has been trying to give very robust drivers to eliminate the need for external programs. For what op wants,you can achieve it in wattman.

It just is what it is though what op wants nvidia has no current plans that we know of of implementing.

I think what op should realize is that what he is asking for was always done with third party software until amd started to put it into their drivers. Op shouldn't have expected to have control of fans under the Nvidia drivers the way he expected to.

I tried to be understanding, but there's only so many ways to give person the answer they are asking, regardless if the accept it or not. I mean, if a person had to pay for Afterburner to use it to be able to customize fan curve, or overclock, I'd be with them. But a free, reliable, small program that works great? I guess I don't see the outrage in that.

HuNTeR-

Oct 9, 2015

I don t need your sympathy,you can keep it for ur self

HuNTeR-

Oct 9, 2015
He was defending your concerns against everyone else telling you to you Afterburner, and you come back to attack him? Not needed.
he s not defending my concern,he attacked me first.look: "Eh I can see where he's coming from we can try to show some sympathy even if the manner of posting is...."
.Don t need to be his lawyes.U can close this topic

Flapdrol1337

Golden Member
May 21, 2014
Just keep it as is and don't worry about it OP, 83 is not dangerous, my card goes to 95 by default.

HuNTeR-

Oct 9, 2015
Just keep it as is and don't worry about it OP, 83 is not dangerous, my card goes to 95 by default.
yes maybe u right,but if now on winter weather have 83c,at summer what can I do??I forgot to mentioned,my unit is set outside on balcony where ambient temperature is 15-16 degree now.thats why im worried,and my case is thermaltake VA9000 bws big tower with one 200mm on side,one 120mm back,and 2x120mm front.I think I have all condition like north pole and my card seems doesn t care about ambient temperature,only in idle is stay at 19-24c(perfect temperature).......that's why im sad and confuse
Before of this card I have many strong video card,and no one goes 70 degree in full load in the same case,ambient bla bla bla....
this card is insane it rises 60 degree over idle temp under load....im very confuse,i don t understand nothing..

http://www.thermaltake.co.nz/product/Chassis/fulltower/kandalf/va9000bws.html

edit: I started a thread on official forum,but is useless,they don t care about us consumer,they care only new series 10...
https://forums.geforce.com/default/...-fan-speed-rpm-to-60-on-automatic-under-load/

Last edited:

Flapdrol1337

Golden Member
May 21, 2014
yes maybe u right,but if now on winter weather have 83c,at summer what can I do?
In the summer the card will see that it is getting hotter so make the fans spin faster, and reduce voltage and clockspeed if required, that's why the sensors are there.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
He was defending your concerns against everyone else telling you to you Afterburner, and you come back to attack him? Not needed.
I still could have done a better job.
I tried to be understanding, but there's only so many ways to give person the answer they are asking, regardless if the accept it or not. I mean, if a person had to pay for Afterburner to use it to be able to customize fan curve, or overclock, I'd be with them. But a free, reliable, small program that works great? I guess I don't see the outrage in that.
I agree, but we also have a different perspective on how pc software/hardware should work together(or aren't deterred by an external program that provides a solution to our problem). I completely agree with you, this isn't a big deal. I don't know how we can solve the issue, we've already described to him his options.
Perhaps his thread will give Nvidia the incentive to produce a Wattman competitor.

Also, don't other GPU manfucaturers have their own fancurve/OC program that is less robust than Afterburner? That was the standard to have your own OC program right until Afterburner just became the standard?
yes maybe u right,but if now on winter weather have 83c,at summer what can I do??I forgot to mentioned,my unit is set outside on balcony where ambient temperature is 15-16 degree now.thats why im worried,and my case is thermaltake VA9000 bws big tower with one 200mm on side,one 120mm back,and 2x120mm front.I think I have all condition like north pole and my card seems doesn t care about ambient temperature,only in idle is stay at 19-24c(perfect temperature).......that's why im sad and confuse
Before of this card I have many strong video card,and no one goes 70 degree in full load in the same case,ambient bla bla bla....
this card is insane it rises 60 degree over idle temp under load....im very confuse,i don t understand nothing..

http://www.thermaltake.co.nz/product/Chassis/fulltower/kandalf/va9000bws.html

edit: I started a thread on official forum,but is useless,they don t care about us consumer,they care only new series 10...
https://forums.geforce.com/default/...-fan-speed-rpm-to-60-on-automatic-under-load/

You would still need MSI Afterburner because you'd want to check your GPU Clockspeeds to have a graph of that to see if your throttling during the summer.
What were your other video cards and were they reference models?

Sometimes, you're better off not looking at temps/RPM speeds as long as the card is functioning at the correct clockspeeds.

HuNTeR-

Oct 9, 2015
Sometimes, you're better off not looking at temps/RPM speeds as long as the card is functioning at the correct clockspeeds.
the card is not functioning at the correct clockspeed even.Under load with boost goes to 1215mhz,and official site and gpu-z show 1076 MHz with boost.Maybe that's why become so hot under load?How can I decrease to have maximum 1076 with boost???Is there any way?

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
My last few Nv cards had automatic fan speeds. Under 50 or 60c, fans would be idle and ramp up slowly after that. Didnt think there was a need for fan controlling software with most Nv cards (not sure about ref cards) for this. But I had no issue since temps never crossed 80c. You should have bought an AIB card rather than ref.