How to safely sit down the Xb1 Elite controller?

Nov 20, 2009
Well I never thought I'd see a day that I would be asking such a silly question but there you have it. A couple of weeks back when I first watched a video review of the Xbox Elite controller the one thing the reviewer noted was his unintentional action that took place when he sat the controller down.

It seems at least two (if not all four) of the undercarriage paddles are sensitive enough that the actual mass of the controller is all that is needed to press them into action. One might have thought the monkeys in Redmond might have noticed this but this east coast monkey is asking.

I thought there might be a lock button of some sorts that would prevent anything touched on the controller from actually doing something, but I am not finding it. Help a monkey out, please ...

Nov 20, 2009
Hmm, so if I'm waiting on the next game round to start and want to not hold the controller for a minute or two I have to have the carrying case by me?

CalebRockeT

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2003
If you set it down on a flat surface you're not going to have a problem. If, however, you toss it on something soft, you might get one or two of them to fire.

Oct 19, 2000
You can turn on/off the paddles by double-clicking the green wireless connect button on the top of the controller. It'll vibrate to let you know it's been done.

/thread

Bacstar

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2006
So having those extra buttons make you a better player? When I play Halo 5, I was wondering if having the extra triggers to jump and dodge, I'd end up dying less.

Not sure if it's worth the $150 bucks to find out.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
If you put the controller down slowly it actually doesn't happen.

So having those extra buttons make you a better player? When I play Halo 5, I was wondering if having the extra triggers to jump and dodge, I'd end up dying less.

You can always resell it for more. Elite consoles are going for $200 over msrp and the controllers are selling for $250-300.

Besides I'm pretty sure the Microsoft store or Gamestop would happily take your controller back if you want to return it.

The only people I've heard of actually returning the Elite controller already had $300+ Scuf controllers.

Rakehellion

Lifer
Jan 15, 2013
This is an actual thing? Why?

elite-wireless-1.jpg

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
More importantly, it's easier to hit one of 4 buttons with a finger while trying to aim with your right thumb than having to lose your aiming with the thumb to jump or switch weapons.

Bacstar

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2006
I'm also worried that too many buttons will just cause me more confusion when intense situations come up. hehehe I have problems enough trying to aim and hit the right buttons when I find myself surrounded by 3 shooters.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
I'm also worried that too many buttons will just cause me more confusion when intense situations come up. hehehe I have problems enough trying to aim and hit the right buttons when I find myself surrounded by 3 shooters.

Well, those paddles are ALTERNATIVE buttons, not new ones. So, they don't give you 4 more buttons, you just press those instead of the others. So, you could map A-B-Y-X to them and never touch those buttons in Halo, instead favoring the paddles. You're not adding buttons, you're essentially moving them to the back of the controller.

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
People like using their fingers instead of their right thumb. It's a lot easier to hit 4 buttons with 4 fingers than 4 buttons with one thumb.

I disagree, just that the extra buttons and benefit of having access to them while keeping the right thumb on the stick or elsewhere. However plenty of people including myself can be fast with the thumb. Also there's a good chance MLG and comp ladders will ban this particular controller or others alike.

Kind of like when I play an MMORPG game, I bind keys to the most accessable buttons on the keyboard rather than reaching (I'm left handed).

Personally I don't see that $150 controller as being worth it, and the fact people are paying upwards of $250 is r-tarded.

Last edited:

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
If you set it down on a flat surface you're not going to have a problem. If, however, you toss it on something soft, you might get one or two of them to fire.

Which is pretty much the standard gaming area. You are sitting on your couch or easy chair in front of the TV and want to put your controller down. There are no tables nearby so you put it on the chair cushion or couch and the button presses. Poor design imho.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
Which is pretty much the standard gaming area. You are sitting on your couch or easy chair in front of the TV and want to put your controller down. There are no tables nearby so you put it on the chair cushion or couch and the button presses. Poor design imho.

Not really. Remember this was aimed at the high-end gaming people, those who are often in some kind of official setting with tables and and whatnot. Though others are buying them, they weren't made to cater to the masses who play on a couch and don't care about pro gaming.

It's not like they built it stupidly or anything. What would have been the better option? The paddles are magnetically secured and come off very easily, if you want to set it on a soft surface for a long while. Is it really commonplace for people to not have tables in their gaming area, by the way? I would think a lot of folks are playing in a living room with 2-3 tables present, since it's common interior decorating customs to have a table on one or both sides of a couch (not that I'm speaking for the home decor community, just what I experience going into others' houses, haha).

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

I feel that in FPS games and action games they are helpful. I use them when I played Fallout 4, Halo 5, and even played a bit of The Witcher and GTA5 with them and I enjoy using them instead of hitting the LB and RB or X, Y etc.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I disagree, just that the extra buttons and benefit of having access to them while keeping the right thumb on the stick or elsewhere. However plenty of people including myself can be fast with the thumb. Also there's a good chance MLG and comp ladders will ban this particular controller or others alike.

Kind of like when I play an MMORPG game, I bind keys to the most accessable buttons on the keyboard rather than reaching (I'm left handed).

Personally I don't see that $150 controller as being worth it, and the fact people are paying upwards of $250 is r-tarded.

It won't be banned, they already allow SCUF and Cinch controllers in those tournaments. The elite controller is no different from those really.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Not really. Remember this was aimed at the high-end gaming people, those who are often in some kind of official setting with tables and and whatnot. Though others are buying them, they weren't made to cater to the masses who play on a couch and don't care about pro gaming.

It's not like they built it stupidly or anything. What would have been the better option? The paddles are magnetically secured and come off very easily, if you want to set it on a soft surface for a long while. Is it really commonplace for people to not have tables in their gaming area, by the way? I would think a lot of folks are playing in a living room with 2-3 tables present, since it's common interior decorating customs to have a table on one or both sides of a couch (not that I'm speaking for the home decor community, just what I experience going into others' houses, haha).

Pro gaming means you have tables nearby.. got it... lol.

Its a console system, designed to be used where your TV or projector is, probably where people sit in recliners and couches or sectionals. Definitely pro gamers aren't the only people buying this controller. My son wants one for Christmas and he's 15.

Pro gamers don't play in living rooms. They have dedicated gaming rooms with zero tables. It's in the rulebook. :)

Nov 20, 2009
FYI, everything on that controller is programmable, which is why some are buying it. I like the fact that it can be customized and programmed. I was just astonished sitting the thing down in a normal, caring manner would cause enough to engage the paddles.

I'll just continue to use the 'straddle the remote' method. BTW, the light on this controller is white, not green, but its brightness is also adjustable.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
FYI, everything on that controller is programmable, which is why some are buying it. I like the fact that it can be customized and programmed. I was just astonished sitting the thing down in a normal, caring manner would cause enough to engage the paddles.

I'll just continue to use the 'straddle the remote' method. BTW, the light on this controller is white, not green, but its brightness is also adjustable.

Everything on the regular controllers is customizable as well, as of the new UI update. There's an Xbox Accessories app that can be used to swap button functionality on standard controllers.

Nov 20, 2009
I did not know that. I've only have the One for a couple of weeks now. Been and still play with the 360, which its regular controller. Live and learn, I am.

Bacstar

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2006
I'll probably end up getting one eventually when they're readily available and when prices aren't jacked up.

I have a side-table with a charging dock on it, but usually for quick breaks, I always throw the controller on the couch or my foot rest thingy (can't remember the name; I'm getting old :()

Nov 20, 2009
When I bought the Elite combo from a M$ retail store they had plenty of Elite controllers, but only one console bundle left.