How to Install Windows 10 from a HDD on the Same HDD

Chandan Gauns

Jan 26, 2018
Currently I have Ubuntu installed on my system and 250GB of free space. I want to install Windows 10 on that free space but I don't have any CD/DVD or USB to make a bootable disk. So can I install Windows on that free space from that same system's HDD? Its a laptop with 1TB HDD from which 250GB is free. I have Windows 10 iso downloaded on that system

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Yes the safest way is to do what jack said,that way you also have a boot media in case anything goes wrong,not only with this installation but in general.

If you dare you can run virtualbox in admin mode give it access to the whole HDD and install windows to the free space,make a partition beforehand or use the windows tools to break up the disk,the installation won't see linux and will try to write over it which is impossible.

Warning, windows will change the boot manager and linux won't show up anymore but will still be there,there is a real chance of windows messing up and the boot manager not being able to load even windows,so be warned. (And as stated invest in a usb drive it's worth it)