How to CORRECTLY optimize your SSD for windows 7

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Good explanation of the logical block addressing system.

The question I had about defrag was if there are any filesystem-related benefits to doing so. Assume that a defrag pass simply "shuffles data around" on the SSD without improving or decreasing device-level performance. I understand typical filesystem fragments as comprised of a header, block data, and a pointer to the next fragment (sort of like a LinkedList). Are filesystem requests faster with the file in one contiguous (logical) block as opposed to hundreds or thousands of (logical) fragments, because fewer pointers need to be processed?

For whatever reasoning (sector locking?) it does matter to backup programs.

This is what Acronis has to say about fragmentation and creating incremental backups:
If you have defragmented your hard disk since the last full backup, an incremental backup could be as large as a full one. Therefore we recommend you to defragment the hard disk before the full backup of the given disk is created.

The way it is worded leads me to believe the opposite is likely true as well...if you start with a defraged drive and subsequently move a bunch of files around (without changing the file) such that you increase fragmentation then your subsequent incremental backup is going to be larger.

That said, with 2TB drives going for $100 nowadays I could hardly care less whether the incremental backups of my 160GB SSD approaches 160GB or remains a tiny(ier) 60GB.

hdrive

May 21, 2010
Regarding the performance impact of file fragmentation, the fact is that a single file I/O operation to a "fragmented file" can incur two (or more) disk I/O operations in order to satisfy the data transfer required by the single file I/O operation.

Such "split I/O operations" can result in a performance impact (i.e., longer response/service time) in the case of hard drives due to the additional mechanical seek/access times that can be incurred when having to perform the number of disk I/O operations required to satisfy the single file I/O operation.

Of course in the case of SSD, there are no such mechanical seek/access time latencies - so the performance impact can be substantially less than that experienced with hard drives. Nonetheless, a single file I/O operation to a fragmented file upon a SSD can still be subject to the "overhead" of traversing the I/O stack in order to perform the multiple disk I/O operations (however fast), but this "overhead" might be considered negligible.

Now there are other potential mitigating factors (e.g., the "system file cache" in the OS that might "mask" the performance impact of having to perform multiple disk I/O operations), but that's a more prolonged discussion.

In any case and apart from theory, there is a tool available (called hIOmon) that can capture "fragmented file I/O" metrics that reflect how specific applications and associated files are actually being affected by file fragmentation during everyday, normal usage. These empirical metrics can be used to observe the actual performance impact of file fragmentation.

BTW (and since this is a SSD-related thread), the hIOmon tool can also capture the extent to which the Windows operating system is actually issuing SSD TRIM commands. The "SSD TRIM metrics" that are collected by the tool can be helpful in assessing the performance impact of TRIM.

hdrive

May 21, 2010
There is a full-feature version of the software for personal use on Windows 7/Vista/XP for $75, but there is a free demo version (full feature) that can be downloaded and used for 30 days.

DietDrThunder

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2001
Probably a bit of performance. You can enable it after-the-fact. Did a quick search and this popped up as one of the most concise guides:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=313676

Note that you normally would want to do the Regedit first before touching BIOS. I've heard of instances where Windows BSOD'd afer changing IDE>AHCI and it never recovered.

Has anyone tried this with an AMD chipset?

malch

May 22, 2010
A potpourri of comments on the suggestions made in this thread:

1. Chipset drivers; they can matter. On my system, enabling AHCI in the BIOS resulted in my getting iaStorV (it seems msahci is not compatible with some motherboards including mine). iaStorV does not support TRIM. Installing the latest iaStor from Intel gave me TRIM and a non-trivial performance boost. Paying attention to and installing the latest chipset drivers was a Very Good Thing.

2. The "Everything" search tool is awesome.

3. Imaging your system drive after a nice clean install is a very sound move, in my view. However, when you restore your image, don't be surprised to discover that your system partition is not longer aligned. I've seen this issue first hand with the Paragon backup software. I have read (but not confirmed) that it can happen with Acronis and Ghost too. Yuk!

My solution with Paragon is to:

A. Image the first track/boot record.
B. Image the logical partition.

This way, I can restore the first track/MBR, then manually create an aligned partition, and finally restore my data into that properly aligned partition.

4. Maintaining plenty of free space is beneficial. Disabling (or at least limiting) system restore, turning off hibernation, and moderating the size of your swap file can provide 10 or 20 GB of free space. That's not insignificant for those with a 40GB or 80GB SSD.

flamenko

Apr 25, 2010
www.thessdreview.com
Alignment is not really a concern with Win 7 and if you are looking for any particular piece of advise to start with, consider a fresh install.

As far as who you listen to, good luck... Personally, I might look at what are common themes amongst different optimization guides and threads. I would also pay attention to those that would explain key things rather than doing anything blindly.

malch

May 22, 2010
Some of us work with a lot of applications. I'm willing to perform a fresh install when necessary but it takes about a day and half of work to complete that process. Which do you think I prefer?

1. A day and half installing/configuring Windows and several dozen apps, or

2. 15 minutes to restore an image made when the system was in a near perfect state?

flamenko

Apr 25, 2010
www.thessdreview.com
No prob..... I give the advise because there have been several who have experienced problems of some kind ghosting and moving from HDD to SSD. The issue I have assisted with several times is under par performance as a result of the ghost itself and drivers not working as expected.

I hope everything goes well but your no 2., for many people, has turned into:

2. 15 minutes to restore an image made when the system was in a near perfect state?
3. Alot of frustration trying to figure out why the ssd isn't functioning as it should; and
4. A day and half installing/configuring Windows and several dozen apps.

Best of luck and I hope all goes well.

The theory behind the fresh install is enabling a ssd build where one could optimize it to work its best and, at the same time, make sure that old drivers, services and startups aren't slowing your system down to a crawl as it may have been with the HDD.

Last edited:

malch

May 22, 2010
Ahhh, yes, for the record and the avoidance of doubt, I do not recommend that folks install a new SSD and load it up using an image from their previous HDD. There are just too many gotcha's down that road. Add a new SSD; perform a clean Windows install.

However, the context was... making an image of your SSD after a nice clean install. This should provide rapid but safe recovery from various kinds of common disasters (major registry issues, nasty malware, etc.).

Bandit1

Jan 11, 2005
I do know that acronis fails to allow certain concise partition assignments.After many many image restores,i feel confident in its ability to maintain data integrity.My overall feeling is ,i am confident in imaging programs,but they have not caught up to ssd particulars and acronis for example is slow to patch it as well as some apparent others$$.

(yea,i am slightly ticked because this exact question was asked about ssd compatibility prior to purchase to 3rd party tech support,no doubt)

Last edited:

Synomenon

Lifer
Dec 25, 2004
I just read another guide about SSD optimization and in this guide, the author says to:

- Install the SSD in your PC

- Install your OS

- Install all of your applications and device drivers / software for things like your printer/scanner/copier, etc.

- Download all updates for Windows and your applications

- Make an image after you've set everything up the way you want.

- Use the SSD's secure erase to wipe the SSD.

- Restore the image you made

They said that this would get rid of all fragmented or garbage segments / pages created when you install the OS and all your applications and updates.

Is this recommended?

Finally, I've seen this mentioned two different ways in various guides. It's regarding partition alignment.

From what I've read here on AT, all you have to do with a fresh SSD during Windows 7 setup (to have it properly align the partition) is choose "Custom (Advanced)" instead of "Upgrade" and then instead of manually formatting and / or creating separate partition, let Windows install / use the whole blank drive.

Some of the guides I read say that to get a partition with proper alignment, you have to choose "Custom (Advanced)" and then choose the option to create a partition spanning the entire drive then the option to format it.

So, which way is it to get the properly aligned partition?

flamenko

Apr 25, 2010
www.thessdreview.com
Partition alignment does not affect Win7. Simply install the program, select a custom and complete install accept the partitions as they suggest or create the number of partitions you like. Even if you ghost with Win7, there is no problems with partition alignment that I am aware of. It is an issue that is really blown out of the water here.

Truly, just simply install the program fresh or ghost your setup. If you are using any OS other than Win7 with a SSD...really the only quesion then becomes why?

As far as the hidden partition...good find IsLNdbO1. Nice reading.

EDIT.... As a bit of verification... I use Acronice True Image regularly for testing SSDs as one needs to create exact conditions and I havent had any problem whatsoever. Having said that, I have to reiterate what I said previously which is that many people have had problems with their SSD performance because of ghosting and imaging.

Last edited:

Bandit1

Jan 11, 2005
OK.I know i was sort of off topic,but i am just saying that acronis is not accurate across the board.You should simply be able to set the partitions EXACTLY as you like,and that IS not the case.Acronis will only take the exact total of said drive and allow you to break it down any way you like,as long as you use ALL of said space.It will recover a previous install of win7 just fine.

What i am saying is that a proper operating image will let you align as you wish,EXACTLY(allowing said mbr spacing),which is the problem with the program(s).For instance,I want to pick size,45601.00mb regardless of leftover partition space.No can do.

Last edited:

Synomenon

Lifer
Dec 25, 2004
So do you guys recommend this or even agree with it?
I just read another guide about SSD optimization and in this guide, the author says to:

- Install the SSD in your PC

- Install your OS

- Install all of your applications and device drivers / software for things like your printer/scanner/copier, etc.

- Download all updates for Windows and your applications

- Make an image after you've set everything up the way you want.

- Restore the image you made

They said that this would get rid of all fragmented or garbage segments / pages created when you install the OS and all your applications and updates.

What about this?
Finally, I've seen this mentioned two different ways in various guides. It's regarding partition alignment.

From what I've read here on AT, all you have to do with a fresh SSD during Windows 7 setup (to have it properly align the partition) is choose "Custom (Advanced)" instead of "Upgrade" and then instead of manually formatting and / or creating separate partition, let Windows install / use the whole blank drive.

Some of the guides I read say that to get a partition with proper alignment, you have to choose "Custom (Advanced)" and then choose the option to create a partition spanning the entire drive then the option to format it.

If the only way to safely remove Windows 7's hidden partition is to manually create a partition (during setup) that spans the entire drive, will you still get the proper partition alignment doing that (manually creating that partition)?

flamenko

Apr 25, 2010
www.thessdreview.com
I have found the only difficulty with Acronis, and other similar programs, is that one needs to learn how to reduce the size of the clone for the SSD. I have had no less than 5 emails of people stating that their drive would not clone in moving it from a 160Gb (example) HDD to a 80Gb SSD even though they have only used say 30Gb in total. They don't understand that they must reduce the size of the partition to the same specs of their drive before trying the clone.

Further, they dont realize that if they cut it right down to the exact size, they will be left with unallocated space on the SSD as well...

I would also believe that ghosting with Acronis can result in problems as you are moving the exact HDD setup onto a SSD. To me, its kind of like putting a VW engine in a Porsche but the good thing is we can always fix er up...just more work is all.

Last edited:

Bandit1

Jan 11, 2005
Clone is merely one option of acronis,as the other programs.I am speaking of the struggle to set alignment anyway you like by reserving space to the begining of the drive.Then assigning mbr to that space,all during a transfer of data blocks.I say that transfering for instance from xp to another os like win7 by simply imaging previous drive is impeded because of disallowances or inaccuracies by acronis or said softwares.It is not corrupt in what it does.I think one clean long write to the drive(clean drive)is less degradable to the end result than a fresh install of an os(plus time involved).

Last edited:

flamenko

Apr 25, 2010
www.thessdreview.com
Understood completely but the unfortunate part is that new users get caught up in the alignment discussion which dissuades them or puts some into a 'sort of' panic mode. There have been many occasions when the question is brought up the wrong way by a potential new user and then explained void void of the knowledge of the system he would be using it with or his specific system ideals.

Simply put, a new Win7 user with a SSD need not concern themselves whatsoever about alignment .

Hmmm...thought we covered that way back here somewhere. eheheh

malch

May 22, 2010

I would suggest:

1. Allow the Windows 7 installer to create the partition (or do it yourself if an expert users). Do *not* install Windows 7 into an existing partition that was created by an earlier version of Windows.

2. Performing a secure erase immediately after installation is completely unnecessary and a waste of time. It would make more sense to do that on the drive's first birthday in my view. The amount of data written/deleted during installation is really not significant in the grand scheme of things.

Synomenon

Lifer
Dec 25, 2004
Ok, I tried installed Win7 on an old computer today. During setup, I created a partition spanning the entire drive. When I did that I got a message about creating a smaller partition for recovery. You have to let setup do that. Once it has created the smaller partition, delete the large, drive-spanning partition you created. After deletion of the large partition, click on the small recovery partition and use the expand option to expand it to the size of the entire drive.

Windows will install with just that single partition on the drive. I don't think I can check for proper partition alignment though since this was all done on a spindle drive.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Time to get a DELL?
shrug.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.