How to combat terrorism

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I'm not offering any great, new ideas. What I am doing in essence is repeating the Bush doctrine, which to me seems the only way to effectively combat terrorism.

We hear so much about a "cycle of violence". It seems never-ending. The problem is that barring a massacre, there is no effective way to fight those who melt into a civillian population, and those fight FROM a civillian population. Unlike terrorists, 1st world western powers today do not target civillians. Obviously, civillians do die, but IMO the terrorist group which draws the army into civillian areas deserve the blame.

So how do you fight it? Some people might answer that we should hold hands, sing Kumbaya, and we will slowly win them over. I disagree. I think the only way to fight it is by giving it an address. By saying that there is no distinction between the terrorists and those who harbor them. If a country wants to offer shelter to a terrorist group or terrorist leaders, they are responsible for the actions of whatever terrorist group it may be. Eventually, if that becomes real policy to all 1st world powers, countries will not want to harbor terrorists.

I realize this is very oversimplified, and it doesn't account for an oil blackmail or anything else. But at the core, I think it's the only way. Without it there is no way to fight it.

There is no difference between what Israel is doing in Lebanon today and what the US did in Afghanistan, except that it's much easier to justify an attack against a country who's leaders are religious tyrants than against a government which claims to be a bit of a democracy. Keep in mind though, that Hizbollah has 15 parliamentary seats in the Lebanese government, which makes it kind of ridiculous for the Lebanese government to say that they have nothing to do with Hizbollah.

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
So all us Americans should be punished because the US harbored Timothy Mcveigh?

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Oh, sorry. Eric Rudolph then. The best equiped law enforcement and military power in the world couldn't find him for 5+ years. I'd love to see a 3rd world corrupt dicatorship do better. Clearly you think it's well within there ability. At least the good part of your plan is that we'd have OBL in jail or dead now.

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
So if that is how you fight terrorist why is israel undermining the goverment of every country in the region?

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Thera
Oh, sorry. Eric Rudolph then. The best equiped law enforcement and military power in the world couldn't find him for 5+ years. I'd love to see a 3rd world corrupt dicatorship do better. Clearly you think it's well within there ability. At least the good part of your plan is that we'd have OBL in jail or dead now.
You are talking about individuals, not known terror groups actively practicing terrorism against other countries.
The 3rd world dictatorships you speak of are not looking for anyone, they know where the groups are. They may be unable to remove them, which is when a 1st world power can step in and do it for them. But that's not usually the case. Generally, they don't want to remove them because they agree with them and wish to give them an area to operate from.
OBL does not factor into this, because we don't know where he's operating from, supposedly.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

I was thinking somebody was going to blow us all up because we harbor George Bush. Another good reason to impeach the bastard.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
how to fight terrorism?

1. get off the oil teet of the middle east
2. ignore the dumb bastards.

:)

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Moonbeam

I was thinking somebody was going to blow us all up because we harbor George Bush. Another good reason to impeach the bastard.

Exactly what I was thinking.

May 16, 2000
You can't combat terrorism at all. It's an idea. Ideas are beyond harm. You can combat terrorists all you want, but the idea of terrorism is absolute and eternal. Alwasy existed, always will.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: bamacre
I think we should destroy terrorism by terrorizing the terrorists.

Yes, but WE have to do it better. He who is the biggest terrorist with the most terror wins.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: ThePresence
You are talking about individuals, not known terror groups actively practicing terrorism against other countries.
The 3rd world dictatorships you speak of are not looking for anyone, they know where the groups are. They may be unable to remove them, which is when a 1st world power can step in and do it for them. But that's not usually the case. Generally, they don't want to remove them because they agree with them and wish to give them an area to operate from.
OBL does not factor into this, because we don't know where he's operating from, supposedly.

OBL doesn't factor in..but they know where lesser known Terrorist groups are? :confused:

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004

Yes, but WE have to do it better. He who is the biggest terrorist with the most terror wins.

Exactly. And that is why we are failing in Iraq. We should have done a massive bombing campaign before the invasion, I mean big, and called it something like, "Shock and Awe."

I think that would have greatly prevented any kind of insurgency.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
From the days of Francis Marion till today Atypical warfare has become typical. The days of Sink the Bismark are long since past. To contain an entire nation like Iraq requires a million or more troops and years and years of occupation with the associated deaths of servicemen and women built into the equation and accepted by the poplulation of the expeditionary forces. That is just one of the many nations that would need being occupied so it would take the worlds people all banned together. BUT... We all should and must have one hell of a reason to embark on such an effort otherwise the nations involved civilian support will lag and soon so will their politcal support and poof goes the effort...

Is there some nation on this planet that the US people would support that kind of effort in let alone the entire world agreeing to do it? I doubt it.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: RichardE

OBL doesn't factor in..but they know where lesser known Terrorist groups are? :confused:
You're missing the point.
I'm talking about terror groups that are known to be terror groups and we know who is harboring them.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003

Exactly. And that is why we are failing in Iraq. We should have done a massive bombing campaign before the invasion, I mean big, and called it something like, "Shock and Awe."

I think that would have greatly prevented any kind of insurgency.

Well remember that the basis of invasion was the WMD the Launcher thingi and the 45 days and that they were gonna use them....
We chose to march in or drive in... to find all these things so we could stop them.. Our intel couldn't find them for air strikes... it was not about terrorist kills but WMD...

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005

I'm talking about terror groups that are known to be terror groups and we know who is harboring them.

Al-qaeda, Pakistan, OBL...

GO :p

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
Originally posted by: smack Down
So if that is how you fight terrorist why is israel undermining the goverment of every country in the region?
Elaborate?

thats about as much as he ever elaborates. I'm waiting for the day he writes a full paragraph which actually says something.

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
Originally posted by: OrByte
how to fight terrorism?

1. get off the oil teet of the middle east
2. ignore the dumb bastards.

:)

that is a good first step, but you also must remember that teet is feeding the rest of the world too.
So you will still have francs, marks, lira, yen, cronas ........ etc flowing into the area.

jimkyser

Nov 13, 2004

You mean like those Cuban ex-pats who brought down that Cuban airliner in South America? How long did it take us to even arrest the one suspect. We knew exactly where he lived. We just allowed him to roam free to appease the Cuban community in Miami. That is, until the media started to blast it all over that he was in Miami living openily and free and it became too much of a PR issue for the chimp.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
America harbors cuban terrorists in florida, and i think we've all heard of the school of the americas.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: jimkyser

You mean like those Cuban ex-pats who brought down that Cuban airliner in South America? How long did it take us to even arrest the one suspect. We knew exactly where he lived. We just allowed him to roam free to appease the Cuban community in Miami. That is, until the media started to blast it all over that he was in Miami living openily and free and it became too much of a PR issue for the chimp.
Hey, I'm not saying what we are doing, I'm saying what I think we should be doing.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

Al-qaeda, Pakistan, OBL...
GO :p
Perhaps we should!
Can't do everything at once though.