How to change channels w/ Remote? + HD without extra $$?

Gorrillasnot

Mar 1, 2004
Hello,

I have a PC connected to my HDTV in a spare room and I can stream TV from tv.xfinity.com.
The problem is I have to use my mouse to change channels.
It would be a lot more convenient to use a remote control. Is there a cheap and easy way to use a remote control to change channels?
PC in question is running Windows 7..Would using a MCE remote with kodi or windows media center do the trick?

Another question.I have 2 TVs connected to xfinity cable boxes and I am eligible for X1 equipment which is HD capable, but comcast wants me to pay a $10 per month HD technology fee. Is there a way around this?
If I used a HDhomerun or other cablecard device would I still have to pay the $ 10 HD tech fee?

thanks

hoorah

Dec 8, 2005
If I used a HDhomerun or other cablecard device would I still have to pay the $ 10 HD tech fee?

thanks

Probably. The fee is to activate the HD versions of the channels on your cablecard (or cable box) on your account.

The HDhomerun and cablecard get you out of having to rent additional DVR boxes.

As for a remote to control the streaming from the Xfinity website, I don't have a great answer for that. Some remote functions may work in a web browser (play, pause, volume up and down) but channel up and down likely wont. Your best bet there is to get something like the logitech K400, which is a small wireless keyboard/mouse combo. It works well for most of our HTPCs.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Thought I would drop this quickie in here, but I don't have time to discuss the particulars.

It is possible to reprogram a Windows Media Center Remote, and the procedure and tutorial are available "somewhere" like "Green Button" or other HTPC web sites.