How the Dems killed Yucca, and the incompetence of Jaczko

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
What the crap are you talking about. I'm not talking about scaling up the efficiency of solar cells, that is being done and that has theoretical limits. I am talking about the cost per item of special order one of a kind vs the cost per millions. Didn't I mention Henry Ford and the cost reduction of mass production.

Henry Ford's model T didn't require 10 gallons of fuel per mile to run nor did he receive a government subsidy of 400% of the cost to offset that expense. Sure, it could have physically still been made, but the economy could not support more than few novelty models to exist for specialized purposes at that price.

Deudalus

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2005

http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0kWAqZxJVE
Amy Goodman interviews Israel Minister Shulamit Aloni -
"Its a trick, we always use it. When from Europe somebody is criticizing Israel then we bring up the Holocaust. When in this country people are criticizing Israel then they are anti-Semitic."

Well if you disagree with Obama you are a racist so I guess it cuts both ways.

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
Didn't see anything else on this, and it relates to the latter half of this topic.

The five NRC commissioners are in front of the House Government Reform and Oversight Committee and tomorrow will go in front of the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee regarding dissent among the commissioners.

Four of the five members (more, more) of the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission have written to White House Chief of Staff William Daley denouncing the commission's chairman, Gregory Jaczko, saying his "actions and behavior are causing serious damage to this institution" and are threatening the agency's safety mission.

The Oct. 13 letter (w/ related memo to Jaczko) was released late Friday by Rep. Darrell Issa (R., Calif.), chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee. Mr. Issa called a hearing next week at which all five commissioners would testify.

Letter from Rep. Issa to Chief of Staff Daley.

Defense of Jaczko prepared by Rep. Markey (D., Mass.). Jaczko previously worked on Markey's staff.

Related news stories. It's interesting that of the four aligned commissioners, two are from each party.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
waah. planet gave us life, it only has so much to give and if we don't take advantage of it all and get off this planet some day(hopefully sooner rather than later) we're done. it's over, why even consider the future when it doesn't exist? Our planet WILL die, things will get harsher, it will become harder to live. We need to exploit as much as we can without killing ourselves in the process. Nuke power is the best option, but you're to afraid of it because in a thousand years it might still be toxic. thousand years ago people were afraid of demons and witches, imo you're on the same level as them.

fruitcake.jpg

Reverse oedopus Complex.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Nuclear waste should be stored in the same places where it's created. You want and believe in nuclear power? Fine, deal with the waste yourself.

the DRIZZLE

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2007
Nuclear waste should be stored in the same places where it's created. You want and believe in nuclear power? Fine, deal with the waste yourself.

That's ridiculous when we have regional and national electric grids. Nevada is a net importer of electricity so I guess we should just cut them off. People in Nevada benefit from infrastructure all over the country including nuclear power plants, oil refineries, military bases and thousands of others. No one disputes that it makes far more sense to store the waste in one place, it's just a matter of getting over the NIMBY issue.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
From Wikipedia:

Volcanic history

A series of large explosive volcanic eruptions occurred to the north of Yucca Mountain millions of years ago, producing dense clouds of volcanic ash and rock fragments which melted or compressed together to create layers of rock called tuff, forming the mountains and hills of the region. The volcanic eruptions that produced Yucca Mountain ended about 12 million years ago. This explosive volcanism produced almost all (more than 99 percent) of the volcanic material in the Yucca Mountain region.[3]

Several million years ago, a different type of eruption began in the area. These eruptions were smaller and much less explosive. These small eruptions were marked by lava and cinders seeping and sputtering from cones or fissures. The last such small eruption occurred about 80,000 years ago. The remaining volcanic material (less than 1 percent) in the Yucca Mountain region is a result of these smaller eruptions.[4]

Researchers funded by the Nevada Agency for Nuclear Projects and the Nuclear Waste Division of Clark County, Nevada suggested that the size of the Yucca Mountain volcanic field was not well known. Eight Quaternary basalt volcanoes erupted within 50 km of the proposed repository in the past million years, and higher than previously predicted recurrence rates for Yucca Mountain volcanism may be possible in the future.[5]

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
throckmorton, and if we go back far enough I'm sure we'll find it was under water at sometime too. we better worry about that as well.

CLite

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2005
Didn't see anything else on this, and it relates to the latter half of this topic.

The five NRC commissioners are in front of the House Government Reform and Oversight Committee and tomorrow will go in front of the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee regarding dissent among the commissioners.

Four of the five members (more, more) of the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission have written to White House Chief of Staff William Daley denouncing the commission's chairman, Gregory Jaczko, saying his "actions and behavior are causing serious damage to this institution" and are threatening the agency's safety mission.

The Oct. 13 letter (w/ related memo to Jaczko) was released late Friday by Rep. Darrell Issa (R., Calif.), chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee. Mr. Issa called a hearing next week at which all five commissioners would testify.

Letter from Rep. Issa to Chief of Staff Daley.

Defense of Jaczko prepared by Rep. Markey (D., Mass.). Jaczko previously worked on Markey's staff.

Related news stories. It's interesting that of the four aligned commissioners, two are from each party.

Through ASME meetings I indirectly know some people working on a long-term response to Fukushima, i.e. planning for beyond-basis events. These are all volunteer industry engineers, academia, regulators who are not paid for their time. They are earnestly working on planning for ways to mitigate beyond-basis events.

Anyways the reports coming out of all these meetings is that Jaczko is an unmitigated ass and a thug who is acting criminally within the NRC. However, he is an Obama appointee so the Justice department is not investigating his criminal activities.

http://oversight.house.gov/images/stories/Reports/12-13-11_NRC_Report_Final.pdf

(see page 6 & 7 for findings of Jaczko's bullying of a bi-partisan safety related agency)

Obama greatly err'ed by appointing a Reid thug and I really hope he quickly inserts a less politicized figure who has 2 republicans and 2 democrats begging for relief.

CLite

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2005
From Wikipedia:

Volcanic history

A series of large explosive volcanic eruptions occurred to the north of Yucca Mountain millions of years ago, producing dense clouds of volcanic ash and rock fragments which melted or compressed together to create layers of rock called tuff, forming the mountains and hills of the region. The volcanic eruptions that produced Yucca Mountain ended about 12 million years ago. This explosive volcanism produced almost all (more than 99 percent) of the volcanic material in the Yucca Mountain region.[3]

Several million years ago, a different type of eruption began in the area. These eruptions were smaller and much less explosive. These small eruptions were marked by lava and cinders seeping and sputtering from cones or fissures. The last such small eruption occurred about 80,000 years ago. The remaining volcanic material (less than 1 percent) in the Yucca Mountain region is a result of these smaller eruptions.[4]

Researchers funded by the Nevada Agency for Nuclear Projects and the Nuclear Waste Division of Clark County, Nevada suggested that the size of the Yucca Mountain volcanic field was not well known. Eight Quaternary basalt volcanoes erupted within 50 km of the proposed repository in the past million years, and higher than previously predicted recurrence rates for Yucca Mountain volcanism may be possible in the future.[5]

Throckmorton, I can fully appreciate a healthy debate about the viability of Yucca mountain. It is without question an important topic that deserves public comment and discussion on any findings by the bi-partisan investigation performed by the NRC.

HOWEVER, I would ask for you to answer a simple question do you think the infusion of politics into the NRC by Jaczko was the proper manner to address Yucca Mountain? Please consider he is violating NRC guidelines and rules by not sharing information with the 4 bi-partisan commissioners, he is bullying staff into his way or the high-way, and he is trying to go forward with policy not fully approved by the bi-partisan commission.

I support regulation, I support a debate that includes public comments, industry comments, & regulator comments, and finally I support all of this performed under a bi-partisan umbrella. Jaczko is the antithesis of bi-partisanship and I am truly concerned about the next few years under his watch if he does not get replaced.

To demonstrate how much of a jackass this guy is I refer to my previous link: Page 19
"finding: Chairman Jaczko's Chief of Staff suggested that Commissioner Magwood, a Democrat appointed by President Obama, should be concerned that his vote in favor of an Action Memorandum (COM) that would have continued work on Yucca Mountain might leak and be viewed as a lack of support for the Administration."

He threatened to tattletale a fellow democrat.

Last edited:

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
When our civilization goes back into the it's dark ages. I pitty the poor person that stumbles upon casks marked with magenta and yellow and breaks them open looking for treasure.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
throckmorton, and if we go back far enough I'm sure we'll find it was under water at sometime too. we better worry about that as well.

This is 80,000 years ago that the last eruption was. You're acting like it's millions of years.

Are you going to build a house in a flood zone and not worry about flooding "because if you go far enough back it was a coral reef anyway"?

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Throckmorton, I can fully appreciate a healthy debate about the viability of Yucca mountain. It is without question an important topic that deserves public comment and discussion on any findings by the bi-partisan investigation performed by the NRC.

HOWEVER, I would ask for you to answer a simple question do you think the infusion of politics into the NRC by Jaczko was the proper manner to address Yucca Mountain? Please consider he is violating NRC guidelines and rules by not sharing information with the 4 bi-partisan commissioners, he is bullying staff into his way or the high-way, and he is trying to go forward with policy not fully approved by the bi-partisan commission.

I support regulation, I support a debate that includes public comments, industry comments, & regulator comments, and finally I support all of this performed under a bi-partisan umbrella. Jaczko is the antithesis of bi-partisanship and I am truly concerned about the next few years under his watch if he does not get replaced.

To demonstrate how much of a jackass this guy is I refer to my previous link: Page 19
"finding: Chairman Jaczko's Chief of Staff suggested that Commissioner Magwood, a Democrat appointed by President Obama, should be concerned that his vote in favor of an Action Memorandum (COM) that would have continued work on Yucca Mountain might leak and be viewed as a lack of support for the Administration."

He threatened to tattletale a fellow democrat.

I don't give a single fuck about politics or partisanship or whatever. This is a dormant volcano. Preventing it from being used for nuclear waste storage had to be done by any means necessary. The fact that there was even any kind of debate is ludicrous.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
And so your alternative to nuclear, to power the US for the next 50 years, is _____________?

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
^^^ tidal power :p

I would be fine for that on the coasts, as long as it didn't interfere with marine life to a significant (not fundi eco-kook "significant", and not big business F it who cares "significant") degree. Thing is, there's a whole heck of a lot of people that can't take advantage of coastal power (whether that's tidal and/or wind), so what's the solution for population densities in those regions?

As far as I know, solar does not cut it.
Wind doesn't.
Coastal is out.

That leaves nuke, coal, or natural gas. Lets pick one and get building.

I pick nuke...

Chuck

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
And so your alternative to nuclear, to power the US for the next 50 years, is _____________?
Solar and wind power. I don't want to fund any of the research but I'm sure one of the other countries will figure it out :p

Much of the US will probably still use coal in the next 50 years. It's ridiculous how much coal is in the US. Wiki says about 40-50% of current power generation is coal.