how much would you expect in a raise for a promotion?

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
so a bunch of us got promoted on monday and also our yearly merit increase.

so i was told it was easier to get a raise after a yearly review. anyway i ended up getting a 2.5% merit increase and another 7% raise for going from "software engineer" to "senior software engineer". the group of us who got promotions were talking and it kind of seemed like a small raise (just from past experience) , not that im not glad to take it.

now my responsibilities have not changed at all (or maybe i had too many before), i told them basically i thought i should get a promotion 6-7 months ago when i said somethign to the tune of "i realize when i took this job i didnt have a ton of experience at this particular programming language, but i'm doing far more than some of the senior people we have at this point so i think i should at least have the same title"

anyway what do you guys think , 7% raise for a promotion normal?

Last edited:

hclarkjr

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
that depends on how much it is dollar wise. this is based on what you were making, correct?

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
No change in duties or responsibilities? In that context it is hard to put a value on it, except that it looks much better if you were to go job hunting.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
I got 14% went I from Software Engineer to Senior Software Engineer.

And then 4 months later I got another 8% raise.

:cool:

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
OP, prepare yourelf for the 'hurrr durrr at least ya got a jerb' and 'what makes yew think ya deserve a raise' crowd. It's inenvitable.

Jeffg010

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2008
You got a raise for a promotion? Around my place it only only matters were you fall into the grade ranges. You could be a 15 and be in the range of a low 17. So if you move up to a 17 you are not getting jack. I'm a 15 at my place but 15 gets overtime. If I was to move to a 17 and I'd get lose overtime so no one wants to get promoted in my department.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I'm trying to think... the last promotion raise I received was a little over 20%, but I was switching roles so not how sure that applies.

Of course leaving the company netted me another 30%+.

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
OP, prepare yourelf for the 'hurrr durrr at least ya got a jerb' and 'what makes yew think ya deserve a raise' crowd. It's inenvitable.

hurrr durrr at least ya got a jerb and what makes yew think ya deserve a raise?

On a more serious note, don't expect much. If you really want a raise, look new for a new job.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
hurrr durrr at least ya got a jerb and what makes yew think ya deserve a raise?

On a more serious note, don't expect much. If you really want a raise, look new for a new job.

i actually did one interview (did not get it after 6 hours of interviews, though i was probably not quite qualified). i guess you can say i'm a little lazy right now as the ramp up at a new job is pretty brutal sometimes (i forgot to mention i have only been at this current place slightly over a year and a half, being a mercenary programmer takes a lot of work, i have not taken a real vacation in years)

the level the raise brings me to i would say is competitive but not spectacular. i've only been promoted twice in my career and the last time it was more like 15% so i guess i was thinking it'd be like that. every other time i got a "raise" it was because i switched jobs.

also on a side note i hate it when people do that "you should be thankful you have a job" thing, i usually just say "yeah im worth it, i'm really smart"

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
You got a raise for a promotion? Around my place it only only matters were you fall into the grade ranges. You could be a 15 and be in the range of a low 17. So if you move up to a 17 you are not getting jack. I'm a 15 at my place but 15 gets overtime. If I was to move to a 17 and I'd get lose overtime so no one wants to get promoted in my department.

yeah i gotta say that sucks. i had a job like this once, where i got promoted just into the exempt part but had to support the hourly people (i wrote test tools and harnesses for QA people who manually tested things). i would tell my boss i was just gonna drive to my apartment and sleep and to call me if they really needed stuff when they milked the company , i mean worked OT)

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
We usually get cost of living increase (1-3%) + merit increase (0-5%) each year. Our promotions usually get us between 6-10%. There are a total of 5 levels here. You start at engineer I and work up to engineer 5. If you want more raise than that you either need to leave and come back and have them match your salary, or tell them you found another job and hope they match it.

It's a risky game though. The last guy that did it got fired, and it turns out he was bluffing :biggrin:.

Since I started 7 years ago I've been averaging about 6% a year, which isn't too bad when you factor in my benefits.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
that seems pretty weak imo. in this area, the salary difference between a mid-level software engineer and a senior software engineer is like $20k - $30k.

based on what you are saying, i'm going to guess that 7% is not in the range of those numbers.

i got my largest "raises" when i switched jobs.

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
I'd say that's pretty reasonable. I got about 10% combined promotion/merit raise in a similar situation last year.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
so a bunch of us got promoted on monday and also our yearly merit increase.

so i was told it was easier to get a raise after a yearly review. anyway i ended up getting a 2.5% merit increase and another 7% raise for going from "software engineer" to "senior software engineer". the group of us who got promotions were talking and it kind of seemed like a small raise (just from past experience) , not that im not glad to take it.

now my responsibilities have not changed at all (or maybe i had too many before), i told them basically i thought i should get a promotion 6-7 months ago when i said somethign to the tune of "i realize when i took this job i didnt have a ton of experience at this particular programming language, but i'm doing far more than some of the senior people we have at this point so i think i should at least have the same title"

anyway what do you guys think , 7% raise for a promotion normal?

Better than government employees are getting. They have no cost of living adjustments, and a raise is about 2%, and a promotion is about 4%.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
My next raise will be 5%.
But, my pay will go down. I'll lose my "Instructor" pay and my pay for having a Class A drivers license.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I got 10-12% Inclusive of COL increase when I got bumped to senior.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Whatever everone else in that position makes or industry standard.

I don't even bother applying at places that don't post salary, means they want to cherry pick and lowball.

Plus its fun to laugh at places that have the words Cisco or Oracle in the job posting and put something like $14/hr

Also stay away from places that don't have industry standard titles and job descriptions. Just makes it easier to scam the employees with no basis for comparison.

Last edited:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Highest you get here for merit is 3% and if you are promoted depends what your salary previously is. They have levels for entry and mid level that must equal within those salary brackets. For example if you are entry or junior and you are close to senior level pay branch you get raised just enough to make it in there.

We get other bonuses though in the summer. Very tough getting promoted here ...hundreds of people in your same spot and its turned out it depends on who.you know or who.your manager knows.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Things I learned today: the company I work for is much more generous than I thought.