how much would you expect in a raise for a promotion?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Went from Lead to Dept.Manager, got 19%. Yearly average raise is usually 3%. ^_^

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I'll take anything they'll give me. Though to be worthwhile I'd want at least an extra dollar an hour. Anything else is just slightly offsetting the increasing cost of living.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
It really is going to vary. When you already work for a company, unless they are worried about losing you, don't expect a giant leap unless you are jumping to management.

When I changed companies I got a 55% raise for doing the same level and workload (granted pretty sure I was underpaid at the last company).

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
It really is going to vary. When you already work for a company, unless they are worried about losing you, don't expect a giant leap unless you are jumping to management.

When I changed companies I got a 55% raise for doing the same level and workload (granted pretty sure I was underpaid at the last company).

i honestly think they gave us all the promotions partly because they also were afraid we'd leave. i actually did imply that at my review, job market is hot.

but yeah i know leaving gets you bigger raises. my last company i was already "senior level" but i was relatively underpaid (giant big household name multinational). so this smaller company hired me away as midlevel for more money than i was making as a senior type person at the last place so i went. so i suppose my current job has overall treated me ok salary wise.

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
For the past 4 years (excluding this year) I have gotten 5 raises. All of them have been between 6-9%. This year the whole company gets 2.5%. I was a little disappointed because of how well the company did last year and because I was used to more...but I then thought 'at least I got a raise'.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
For the past 4 years (excluding this year) I have gotten 5 raises. All of them have been between 6-9%. This year the whole company gets 2.5%. I was a little disappointed because of how well the company did last year and because I was used to more...but I then thought 'at least I got a raise'.

i kind of think the same thing i'd say ive managed to average something like 10% increases a year the last 6 years though it was probably largely because it was prime experience years in this field matters a lot and switching companies and just the right part of the tech cycle. had to work pretty hard and not really get all that time to take vacations and do "20 something" things for a while, but it was worth it. im fairly certain it will be hard to keep this up at this point but i guess im just used to getting larger raises for promotions.

i'll admit somedays i think, i am pretty lucky i keep pulling this off. and on my cocky days when im an asshole i think "damn best recession ever, thank you people who told me to never be a programmer because my job would be moved to india 10 years ago"

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Your raise sounds consistent with my experiences over the years.
5-10% for title upgrade only, 15% if you go to a supervisor or management.
1-3% merit is common.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
I got 6% going from MTS to Senior MTS in 2010. I got 23% in 2011 for my performance in the new level.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Sounds about right, but it varies too much for a definitive answer. Software engineer and sr. software engineer titles are basically interchangeable, given the vastly different standards companies employ. Some pride themselves in being very strict while others hand it to college grads.

If your responsibilities didn't change and you got a 7% raise, then you got a 7% raise.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Sounds about right, but it varies too much for a definitive answer. Software engineer and sr. software engineer titles are basically interchangeable, given the vastly different standards companies employ. Some pride themselves in being very strict while others hand it to college grads.

If your responsibilities didn't change and you got a 7% raise, then you got a 7% raise.

I agree my role since I started last year is entry/junior level and the description and responsibilities are the exact same thing for lead developer.

Stone Rain

Feb 25, 2013
www.stonerain.us
If your title was changed, but you are doing the exact same work, 7% doesn't sound unreasonable. Of course that depends on how much you make per hour to start with. But if your responsibilities weren't increased, then a 7% raise sounds fair.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
expectations vary from company to company. A financial firm is going to give you more than 7% every single year without a promotion. I can't expect 7% at my job unless I get a promotion. I think that's what I got for mine.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
expectations vary from company to company. A financial firm is going to give you more than 7% every single year without a promotion. I can't expect 7% at my job unless I get a promotion. I think that's what I got for mine.

Not this financial firm. We get our benefits added on to the salary every yearly review. All of a sudden I'm making around 80k+ including benefits, but my check sure is less than the last company I worked for ha

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Put me in the "lucky you have a job column", but my wife did just get a huge promotion.
She had just topped out her group for her annual raise @ 7% a month ago, then scored a ~27% raise for the new title FTW!
Soon she will be able to support me in the manner to which I am accustomed:cool:

TXHokie

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 1999
Nobody said it yet but percentage doesn't say much. If you were making 50k and got 10% raise, that only net you extra 5k. But if you were an ATOT on minimum wage of 100k, then that 10% raise is 10k (now we're talking some good chump change). It would be more interesting to know how much more you pocket than what your percentage is. Hell I got 15% raise when I moved from $3.35/hr to $3.85/hr back in high school.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
Nobody said it yet but percentage doesn't say much. If you were making 50k and got 10% raise, that only net you extra 5k. But if you were an ATOT on minimum wage of 100k, then that 10% raise is 10k (now we're talking some good chump change). It would be more interesting to know how much more you pocket than what your percentage is. Hell I got 15% raise when I moved from $3.35/hr to $3.85/hr back in high school.

yeah well you know its kind of taboo to talk real numbers. i always thought percentages after stopped working hourly but yeah we are talking atot minimum or therabouts in most big tech cities if you are a software engineer.

roguerower

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2004
According to the slip of paper that I got yesterday, I got an 11.5% bump which comes out to about $8k.

polarmystery

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
Year 1: Merit increase; 5%
Year 2 :Merit increase w/promotion 4.5%
Year 3 :Merit increase; 2%
Year 4 :Merit increase w/promotion 4.5%

Defense contracting.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
year 1 (finance IT): 20% raise, 12% bonus
year 2 (same): no raise, 3% bonus
year 3 (software development): will find out in a couple months.

BChico

Platinum Member
May 27, 2000
year 1 (consulting): 14%
year 2 (consulting): 23% - promotion
year 3 (consulting): 3% base, (84% w/ bonus)
year 4 (consulting): 11% base, (31% w/ bonus) - promotion
year 5 (consulting): 0% base, (18% w/bonus)
year 6 (consulting): 25% base, (36% w/bonus) - promotion

Last edited:

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Put me in the "lucky you have a job column", but my wife did just get a huge promotion.
She had just topped out her group for her annual raise @ 7% a month ago, then scored a ~27% raise for the new title FTW!
Soon she will be able to support me in the manner to which we I am are accustomed:cool:
FTFU

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
i've worked for a few companies with bonus plans. and i suppose in the software world i tend to almost expect to get some amount of my bonus. most companies its tied to some fairly easy to achieve revenue number and your performance being at least average so i just consider it part of my yearly compensation depending on how easy the metrics are compared to places that dont have bonuses.

this place anyway 12% last year 13.5% this year, from a maximum 15%. given we are talking ATOT Minimum wage level base salary or higher, this is a pretty good deal of money (i'm paying my car loan off with it, not setting it all on fire in vegas! responsibility!). it is nice to get the check all at once though, but this also means you generally don't look for new jobs around when the bonus is going to get paid since theres that giant check to wait for (last time i switched jobs, i waited for all my bonuses and stock options to vest and then left within 2 months)

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Yeah I need to find a better job then no wonder all reviews on glassdoor say my company pays like shit

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Depends on the promotion...if you go from the deep fryer to the burger prep station, I would say 7% is pretty hefty!

But if you go from being Senior Network Engineer to being VP of Network Operations, 7% might not be enough.

CountZero

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2001
Depends on the promotion...if you go from the deep fryer to the burger prep station, I would say 7% is pretty hefty!

But if you go from being Senior Network Engineer to being VP of Network Operations, 7% might not be enough.

This.

Friend worked at a company where you got a 'promotion' from * Engineer to Senior * Engineer at five years. So a 7% raise assuming other raises had been coming in was well warranted. All you did was survive.

The company I used to work at the next level of promotion after the level I started at required an application (cover letter, resume), two interviews and approval of the manager 3 levels up. It was only open every six months. It was just a different level of engineer but I imagine the raise was more significant.

For what its worth here's my salary changes:
1 year: -5% (across the board cuts)
2 year: 0%
3 year: 0%
4 year: 44% (counter offer when I threatened to leave)
5 year: 4.5%
6 year: 0% (though I left less than a month later with a 36% raise at new company)