How much would a space elevator cost to build and how long would it take?

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
If we get to work on it, I guess it will take the world a decade or two to build an elevator at the cost of hundreds of billions of dollars.

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
Originally posted by: FoBoT
$42 trillion and take 42 years

Would it also take two bumbling philosophers?

I'll throw a towel in for free!

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
it should cost 450 billion and take 3 years.

but once you factor in the labor unions it balloons to 12 trillion in 10 years

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
A physical impossibility. Under the sheer weight of a structure that tall the bottom of the structure would be liquefied.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: conehead433
A physical impossibility. Under the sheer weight of a structure that tall the bottom of the structure would be liquefied.

not if it's a synthetic spider silk structure

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: lozina

I bet Ron Popeil could pull it off.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Doesn't seem possible unless it took up an insane amount of space to hold the weight

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Injury

I bet Ron Popeil could pull it off.

Our solution feature ADVANCED SYNTHETIC SPIDER SILK TECHNOLOGY stolen from the aliens interrogated at area-51.

This could be yours for the low price of $3 trillion dollars!

But wait, there's more!

If you act now, we'll even throw in a soundtrack of your favorite space elevator music, normally a $49.99 value yours absolutely FREE!

But wait! If you call within the next 6.75 seconds you can get this amazing advanced Space Elevator AND the Space Elevator music soundtrack for the low low price of $150 million dollars!

Act now, operators are standing by!

judasmachine

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2002
it should cost 450 billion and take 3 years.

but once you factor in the labor unions it balloons to 12 trillion in 10 years

and then dirty politicians, and sticky fingered middle men, then even that balloons to 32 trillion, and it never gets done.

effowe

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004

Isn't the structure at the top of the elevator also in Earth's orbit, therefore there is no weight being put onto the rope?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Assuming we can bring the cost of synthetic diamond down, or carbon nanotube, which ever comes first, we can build this sucker.

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
I think it's the other way around. Tension in the string due to centripetal force is the enemy, not gravity. ;)

Feb 6, 2007
Obviously that would never work. From a scientific standpoint, it's absurd to think a freestanding structure over a hundred thousand miles high would not collapse under its own weight; and if it weren't freestanding, what would you anchor the guy wires to? Would you just run them around the planet a few times?

No, I'm sorry, that's just ridiculous.

Now a giant catapult on the other hand...

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
impossible!

the moon orbits, its never in the same spot .... so you would have to also build a track throughout the length of the world at which the thing could shimmy over, like a lil racecar as the moon orbits around.

fools!

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: ViviTheMage
impossible!

the moon orbits, its never in the same spot .... so you would have to also build a track throughout the length of the world at which the thing could shimmy over, like a lil racecar as the moon orbits around.

fools!

who said anything about a space elevator to the moon? Just to space, so we don't need to rocket boost everything into orbit.

FlashG

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 1999
Originally posted by: frostedflakes
I think it's the other way around. Tension in the string due to centripetal force is the enemy, not gravity. ;)
winnar