How much have you currently saved for retirement?

flunky nassau

Feb 17, 2007
I finally finished school & started having a steady income, so I just started my 401K. Just wondering if I'll be ok.

I'm 27 & have $11,000 in my 401K.

I want to retire at around 55. Am I on pace?

3NF

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2005
Um, it's hard to say. How much are you putting in now (percentage). You should really talk to a financial advisor or use some online tool. The people at ATOT aren't terribly bright :)

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: elmro
Ive maxed out my 401k every year since I started working

By "maxed out" do you mean you put in enough to get the max employer match, or $15,000 a year?

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
You just know there will be 500 consecutive posts where people claim to have $50,000, $100,000, and $500,000,000 saved already at the age of 22.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

If I liquidated in 10 years I could probably retire

I intend to be working much longer than that

PAB

Banned
Dec 4, 2002
22, $15k in an IRA. I took a big hit when the market tanked but I'll be over $20k by the end of the year.

BigJelly

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2002
I'm 23.

Maxed Roth IRA last 2 years (06 & 07) so 8k total. Next year contribution limit will be 5k :D.
401k: 3.9k as of now. With 16% my contribution; with 3.6% plus $600/year from company.

My goal in retirement is to be the bald man with the expensive sports car going 5 under the speed limit with my left blinker on all the time.

flunky nassau

Feb 17, 2007
Man, I can only contribute a max of ~$9k per year into my 401K because of some weird compensation rule. If i put in more, i'll get a refund at the end of the year.

Here's what is says according to wikipedia. Any understand this?

Highly Compensated Employees (HCE)
To help ensure that companies extend their 401(k) plans to low-paid employees, an IRS rule limits the maximum deferral by the company's "highly compensated" employees, based on the average deferral by the company's non-highly compensated employees. If the rank and file saves more for retirement, then the executives are allowed to save more for retirement. This provision is enforced via "non-discrimination testing". Non-discrimination testing takes the deferral rates of "highly compensated employees" (HCEs) and compares them to non-highly compensated employees (NHCEs). An HCE is defined as an employee with compensation of $100,000 or greater in 2006 and remains unchanged for 2007. However, as an option prior year compensation can be used in this testing, and often is. That is for plans whose first day of the plan year is in calendar year 2007, we look to each employee's prior year gross compensation (also known as 'Medicare wages') and those who earned more than $100,000 are HCEs. Most testing done now in early 2006 will be for the 2005 plan year when we compare employees' 2004 plan year gross compensation to the $90,000 threshold for 2004 to determine who is a HCE and who is a NHCE.

The average deferral percentage (ADP) of all HCEs, as a group, can be no more than 2% greater (or 150% of, whichever is less) than the NHCEs, as a group. This is known as the ADP test. When a plan fails the ADP test, it essentially has two options to come into compliance. It can have a return of excess done to the HCEs to bring their ADP to a lower, passing, level. Or it can process a "qualified non-elective contribution" (QNEC) to some or all of the NHCEs to raise their ADP to a passing level. The return of excess requires the plan to send a taxable distribution to the HCEs (or reclassify regular contributions as catch-up contributions subject to the annual catch-up limit for those HCEs over 50) by March 15th of the year following the failed test. A QNEC must be an immediately vested contribution.

The annual contribution percentage (ACP) test is similarly performed but also includes employer matching and employee after-tax contributions. ACPs do not use the simple 2% threshold, and include other provisions which can allow the plan to "shift" excess passing rates from the ADP over to the ACP. A failed ACP test is likewise addressed through return of excess, or a QNEC or qualified match (QMAC).

There are a number of "safe harbor" provisions that can allow a company to be exempted from the ADP test. This includes making a "safe harbor" employer contribution to employees accounts. Safe harbor contributions can take the form of a match (generally totalling 4% of pay) or a non-elective profit sharing (totalling 3% of pay). Safe harbor 401(k) contributions must be 100% vested at all times with immediate eligibility for employees. There are other administrative requirements within the safe harbor, such as requiring the employer to notify all eligible employees of the opportunity to participate in the plan, and restricting the employer from suspending participants for any reason other than due to a hardship withdrawal.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
24yrs

$0

Edit - I am 70% permanently disabled from the military, and get a check every month for that.

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
$0

I do have a disability check coming to me once a month though, so that will help.

NL5

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
About 100k in various retirement accounts, but I also own real estate and plan on putting a lot of my retirement money into more properties. I also have 25% of my gross income continuing to go into a 401k plus the 2% my company puts in (big deal).

I'm 36.

DaveJ

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm 30, and between my various retirement accounts I've got about 60K saved. I save approx. 18% of my gross income for retirement. I also own a house and will hopefully have it paid off by the time I'm 40, 45 at the absolute latest. Then I can go buy a really expensive "midlife crisis" car. :D Assuming I continue to work for my current employer (very likely), I'll be able to retire at 55 with full benefits. Whether that actually happens depends on how much medical insurance will cost me by then.

Dave

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I'm 26 (almost 27), and all I'll say is that it's six-figures. My plan is to retire by 35, or at the very least choose a career that pays little but that I enjoy a lot.

My primary qualified investment vehicle is a SEP IRA. I've been putting ~50-75% of my net income into investments. I'll likely be switching to a 401k plan next year.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Descartes
I'm 26 (almost 27), and all I'll say is that it's six-figures. My plan is to retire by 35, or at the very least choose a career that pays little but that I enjoy a lot.

35 will come sooner than you think, and you'll quickly realize that you can continue to make loads of money, or you can work a low paying job surrounded by idiots. Hell, your boss will probably be some imbecile trying to tell you how to invest money.

NanoStuff

Banned
Mar 23, 2006
I add $52,000 each year to my stock portfolio, however I do not plan to retire so perhaps it doesn't matter. Might be enough to buy me a ticket to another solar system when the sun explodes, but short of that I don't intend to stop working.

BigJelly

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2002
Originally posted by: NanoStuff
I add $52,000 each year to my stock portfolio, however I do not plan to retire so perhaps it doesn't matter. Might be enough to buy me a ticket to another solar system when the sun explodes, but short of that I don't intend to stop working.

you plan on living a couple billion years?