How much have you currently saved for retirement?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aztech

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2002
I'm 33 and I have about $120K in retirement funds.
I started really early and put away about 10% for a long time, until Katrina wiped me out. Then I dropped down to 5% and am still there. Remember, put it away early and let your money work for you later.
When I use calculator online, they show me having about 2 to 8 million dollars saved, depending on what age I choose to retire. Compound Interest FTW! :)

NanoStuff

Banned
Mar 23, 2006
Originally posted by: BigJelly
Originally posted by: NanoStuff
I add $52,000 each year to my stock portfolio, however I do not plan to retire so perhaps it doesn't matter. Might be enough to buy me a ticket to another solar system when the sun explodes, but short of that I don't intend to stop working.

you plan on living a couple billion years?

It's hard to plan for these things, but I'm not excluding the possibility :D

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
Our sun won't be exploding. It's too small to become a supernova. In about a billion years it will become a red giant and all life on earth will become toast. Later our sun will become a white dwarf, a sun the size of our Earth and will continue to shine for a few more billion years.

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
I wish I had more than I do, but I didn't get out of school and start working until late '99, so I didn't have any money to put in retirement accounts, and the dot com crash knocked me down a peg as I was starting out. I put in as much as the law allows since I started working. I also save outside of retirement accounts.

And yeah, we've no idea if you're on pace. When I was your age, I had $0 because I was still in school and dirt poor.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
38 somewhere in the neighborhod of $200K in retirement accounts that are mine and/or joint assets.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
damn, mine is a mere mid five figures in late twenties, i suck at life