How many songs do you have? (MP3s)

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Foxery

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2008
Originally posted by: Nitemare

If I wanted to hear the same songs over and over again, I'd turn on the radio.

Satellite Radio ftw! Sirius keeps me very happy in the car.

>9000 / 55gb at home. However, I listen to every track at least 3 times before labelling it a keeper, and remove bad tracks from compilations. Why keep junk you don't use?

Foxery

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2008
edit: Ergh, double post. What can I add...

Randomizing my collection would be terrible - I listen to too many genres that would sound awful back to back. I'm a big fan of compilations which follow a particular mood, so I can put on an hour or two of what suits me at the moment and let it go.

dakels

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2002
Originally posted by: Foxery

>9000 / 55gb at home. However, I listen to every track at least 3 times before labelling it a keeper, and remove bad tracks from compilations. Why keep junk you don't use?
I like keeping whole albums together. I find it sad that people don't listen to whole albums or even give themselves that options. Albums from thoughtful talented artists often put tracks together in some sort of rhyme and reason for our musical experience... I'm not against playlists or anything, but removing the options of hearing the "b-sides" just really puts me off. Hence why I rarely if ever buy compilations except film soundtracks.

Also, I wonder what % of people's music is actually paid for, legally obtained? That would be an interesting poll onto itself.

For me, to be honest, I'd say about 80%* of my music was paid for. The rest were borrowed CDs. Oftentimes if I hear a great CD, I'll go buy it even if I already have a great rip from a friend. I have a large box of unopened CDs for which I bought just to have/support the artist/rid my guilt. I'd rather see a better free/paid music system. Music with commercial sponsorship free, no commercials on paid. 2nd part we have already. We need a better version of the first part. Not radio, like having and owning your own songs to play whenever but you may have to listen to a short ad. Sort of a customizable playlist with ads. This probably exists already, just not mobile. Ad revenues pay studios and musicians like Radio. Ohh maybe like a netflix for music. You can borrow music onto your encrypted mobile device but it expires.

*some might find having paid for 25k+ songs unbelievable but a good portion of that was paid for by my company or given to me in gratis. It's not hard to get 10-20 CD's a week.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Soundmanred
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
Originally posted by: Soundmanred
Mine.

This includes around 300 duplicates due to soundtracks and greatest hits compilations.
The majority (around 75,000) are techno remixes of Vogue by Madonna.
Dance Party USA.

Say what? :Q

KT

Tap that sarcasm meter KT! I have very little techno. I liked it as a teen, but not so much now.
You should see my storage unit, half CD cases, half vintage video games!

Bwahahah, ok ok, point taken. :D

KT

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
Originally posted by: dakels

I like keeping whole albums together. I find it sad that people don't listen to whole albums or even give themselves that options. Albums from thoughtful talented artists often put tracks together in some sort of rhyme and reason for our musical experience... I'm not against playlists or anything, but removing the options of hearing the "b-sides" just really puts me off. Hence why I rarely if ever buy compilations except film soundtracks.

Also, I wonder what % of people's music is actually paid for, legally obtained? That would be an interesting poll onto itself.

For me, to be honest, I'd say about 80%* of my music was paid for. The rest were borrowed CDs. Oftentimes if I hear a great CD, I'll go buy it even if I already have a great rip from a friend. I have a large box of unopened CDs for which I bought just to have/support the artist/rid my guilt. I'd rather see a better free/paid music system. Music with commercial sponsorship free, no commercials on paid. 2nd part we have already. We need a better version of the first part. Not radio, like having and owning your own songs to play whenever but you may have to listen to a short ad. Sort of a customizable playlist with ads. This probably exists already, just not mobile. Ad revenues pay studios and musicians like Radio. Ohh maybe like a netflix for music. You can borrow music onto your encrypted mobile device but it expires.

*some might find having paid for 25k+ songs unbelievable but a good portion of that was paid for by my company or given to me in gratis. It's not hard to get 10-20 CD's a week.

It's good to know people in the music business!

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
I used Napster back in the lawsuit days, but have since lost all of that music. Lord knows how many computers I've had since then! Reminds me of my first HP 2x burner...
I mostly grabbed live or rare stuff, or stuff for other people. I was amazed how fast they would download, especially from other college users. They locked down the computers in the lab, so I gave up on that and kept buying CDs.

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Originally posted by: dakels

Probably 95% of my music is legal. The only stuff I have no qualms about downloading are out-of-print and import albums. Paying inflated prices on a CD and having all the extra money go to Amazon or some reseller just doesn't sit well with me, I'd rather just download it. In the case of OoP music it's not like the artist is losing any money (of course if they ever re-release the album I'll go out and buy it), and in the case of import music I guess the artist is kind of getting screwed, but I just have a tough time dropping $30-50 on an import album when I could get at least 3-5 other albums I like for the same price. From an entertainment point of view it's poor bang for my buck. There are few foreign albums I've found so far that I've liked enough to justify buying new (used is a different story, sometimes you get lucky and find an import for $10-15 on Amazon or eBay, in which case I'm all over it).