How many kWh of electricity do you use per month?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Most do that. Although not that drastically...

I pay something like $0.11/kWh for the first 400 and $0.14/kWh after that.

That's still fucked up. Mine is straight 0.07068 per kWh. No funny business or punishing people that use more electricity.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
What kind of fucked up power company do you have that raises the rate the more you use?

The kind not willing to upgrade transmission lines.

we are on time of use, so business hour is one tier, after that til 10pm is another and after 10 and weekends are the cheapest tier.

Theory is encouraging home users to hold off using power in peak hours. Thus lowering demand on peak hours.

Last edited:

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
I don't really see an issue with it, to be honest. But you can always talk to your congressmen if you don't like it, for most areas at least.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
june july 56 days 1416kwh Loss Factor adjusted 1470

we get bills bi-monthly.

AC has only been on for maybe a week this year. Just to get rid of the humidity really.

Last edited:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
That's still fucked up. Mine is straight 0.07068 per kWh. No funny business or punishing people that use more electricity.

Shit...I think I'd kill most of ATOT and all of P&N for electric rates that low. I think the last time we paid that cheap of electrical rates was in Idaho...in the mid-80's.

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
For August when it was ungodly hot out running AC 24/7 for a month and my electric bill was ~87 dollars or 969 kWh. For Sept/Oct when I won't use heat nor AC. It'll be about 38dollars or 393 kWh. Wintertime with the furnace running about 45 dollars.

We have CFLs in the whole house. High efficiency appliances. Good insulation and make sure to turn things off when not in use. Contrast with a year ago, no CFLs, no efficient appliances, no good habits in Sept we paid almost $60 for electricity.

EDIT: My rate is a flat 0.08511 per kWh, with a 2% discount if I pay my bill within 14 days of receiving it which I always do. And a $4.50 service fee

Last edited:

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
Shit...I think I'd kill most of ATOT and all of P&N for electric rates that low. I think the last time we paid that cheap of electrical rates was in Idaho...in the mid-80's.
Idaho has quite literally the lowest residential rates in the country according to this.

Guess you live in an expensive area of Idaho? :confused:

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Damn, the A/C must have been cranking this year. I don't even keep the house all that cool, the thermostat is set for 79.

ElecUse.png

This past billing cycle it was 1299 KwH @ $0.113. During the cooler months it hovers around 600 KwH and we've got about 3500ish sqft.

Heating is natural gas, we use the gas company's budget plan to keep the bill steady year round instead of spiking during the winter and we pay around $55/mo for gas.

I've never seen a power bill that mentions average temperatures. That would be an interesting and useful feature though.

My current provider doesn't do that but my last one did, plus they usually list the average temp for the same time period the year prior and compare usage during same.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Idaho has quite literally the lowest residential rates in the country according to this.

Guess you live in an expensive area of Idaho? :confused:

heh-heh...no, I live in Kahleeforneeya nowadays...

In the late 70's, we lived in an area of Washington served by a public utility district...that had the lowest electrical rates in the nation. 1.1 cents/kW. Gawd I miss those rates. :p

My point was that since moving out of Idaho in the mid-80's, we've consistently paid more than the rate Spidey pays...hell, we even paid more in Western Wyoming in the mid-80's than Spidey's rates...

Pantoot

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2002
For the month of August:
Total electricity you used, in kWh 4510
Total charges for electricity services $471.00

I can't wait for summer to be over...

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
heh-heh...no, I live in Kahleeforneeya nowadays...

In the late 70's, we lived in an area of Washington served by a public utility district...that had the lowest electrical rates in the nation. 1.1 cents/kW. Gawd I miss those rates. :p

My point was that since moving out of Idaho in the mid-80's, we've consistently paid more than the rate Spidey pays...hell, we even paid more in Western Wyoming in the mid-80's than Spidey's rates...

I figured I'd have the lowest rate but apparently Spidey wins. My power is literally through my city, they have their own power plant. I don't even want to know when you pay for water lol. It'd probably enrage you if I told you how much my average water bill was, which is also supplied by my city and not some regional shit. Result, super duper low water rate.

I'll give you a hint though, my city provides my cable(~80 channels), internet(6down 1.5up no d/l caps), water, and electricity. And my total bill for the month of Sept should be about 120-125 bucks.

Last edited:

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Between 300 and 450 depending on whats going on.

Had it down to 313kWh in June. Cost was about 38$.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I figured I'd have the lowest rate but apparently Spidey wins. My power is literally through my city, they have their own power plant. I don't even want to know when you pay for water lol. It'd probably enrage you if I told you how much my average water bill was, which is also supplied by my city and not some regional shit. Result, super duper low water rate.

Currently:
1-Jul-2008
Volume-based Rate ($/hcf) $1.28
Fixed Monthly Meter Charge (in addition to volume based charges)
5/8" - 3/4" meter $13.71

Up until October 2009, we paid a flat monthly rate for water of about $50/mo.
IIRC, we average about 15hcf/mo, so our monthly bill is about $33. Not terrible...

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
Currently:
1-Jul-2008
Volume-based Rate ($/hcf) $1.28
Fixed Monthly Meter Charge (in addition to volume based charges)
5/8" - 3/4" meter $13.71

Up until October 2009, we paid a flat monthly rate for water of about $50/mo.
IIRC, we average about 15hcf/mo, so our monthly bill is about $33. Not terrible...

Thats not too bad. I know some places out west they totally rape you for water.

My Fixed Monthly Charge is $11.40, with a $2.25 sewage tax. $1.17 per 1,000 gallons. Total bill last month $15.56. Almost paid more in sewage tax then I did in water used :p

zCypher

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2002
As I live in a small place and everything is included in the rent, I don't have a clue how much I use. Can't be much though as the only things plugged in are fridge and computer basically.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Thats not too bad. I know some places out west they totally rape you for water.

My Fixed Monthly Charge is $11.40, with a $2.25 sewage tax. $1.17 per 1,000 gallons. Total bill last month $15.56. Almost paid more in sewage tax then I did in water used :p

In addition to my water usage billing, I also pay for sewer, storm drains, and garbage...Total monthly average is about $90/month. I use way more water in the summer because of the lawn and garden, so in the winter, my water usage is about half of that.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I still cannot wrap my mind around this nonsense of paying higher rate for the MORE you use. It honestly boggles my mind. It makes ZERO sense at all. In all aspects of life and business, if you use more of a product, you pay LESS per unit.

I'm not trolling. This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I still cannot wrap my mind around this nonsense of paying higher rate for the MORE you use. It honestly boggles my mind. It makes ZERO sense at all. In all aspects of life and business, if you use more of a product, you pay LESS per unit.

Did you miss my post? They don't want to spend more money building power plants and transmission lines. If everyone use a lot of power, they would be fucked.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

Here locally, the argument is like this:
1. It encourages you to use less.
2. The electrical companies have to buy power in excess of what they make themselves...and costs them more, so they pass that extra on to the consumer.

Businesses that use massive amounts of electricity do get serious price breaks on their electricity, but IIRC, they still pay tiered rates.

Dec 10, 2005
Unknown at this point; electricity is one of the utilities included in my current rent. In my previous place (in Chicago), anywhere between 85-110kWh/month, closer to the high end in the summer b/c of fans running, so about $18-$25/month.

jteef

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2001
2000 in august 500 in april. 2400 sqft house, i suspect my neighbor is stealing electricity during the day but haven't come up with proof yet. I live alone, have 1 computer, running 24/7, 1 wine fridge, and a few brand new energy star appliances running, no other elec during the day. thermostat set to 73.