Question How many cores are you operating with on your PERSONAL PC at home?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HutchinsonJC

Apr 15, 2007
A server (hardware-level) is NOT a machine you operate directly, but over a network connection.

A Server is a machine that centralizes resources. It could be said that it "serves" up data: Email, a Website, Authentication, a database, etc. I don't know why you think you can come in here and change definitions.

My e-peen is decent but not huge 16 cores 8 physical/8 virtual.
I guess it’s like 7 inches.

You have 8 cores. You're at like 5 inches.

Feb 4, 2009
A Server is a machine that centralizes resources. It could be said that it "serves" up data: Email, a Website, Authentication, a database, etc. I don't know why you think you can come in here and change definitions.

'
What are the guys above me with 4/8 or 6/12?

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002

Exactly. Also, one that put large amounts of cores into a task or tasks for a given purpose. That is centralizing CPU cores. And my EPYC boxes can be controlled over the network or directly, that not a mandatory way of working.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
4, but if I counted the total number of cores in all active machines in my flat... 60 cores across various machines, mostly older Xeons.

Edit: Probably have more cores I'm not counting because it just makes me look like a computer hoarder. Because you could say I am one, but I use all of them!

Reactions: lightmanek

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I have a 8C/16T 10700K, recently upgraded from 4C/8T 4790K. I don't notice any improvement from the extra threads, but the extra per-thread performance is visible in a few games. My laptop has 4C/8T, but is noticeably slower and less responsible than either of the desktop CPUs even in Windows.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
After 4 years of coasting with three Windows 7 systems still running in the house among the fam-damn-ily and Windows 10 on my lappie and my best system, I don't think I've spent more than $200 on computer parts all that time.

We've got a quad-core i7 Ivy Bridge, two i7 Sandy Bridgers, and my Skylake -- currently. My home server is an i5 Ivy Bridge system. the laptop is a C2D.

It would be easy to build a Comet Lake system. But I don't see a need for more than a quad-core hyperthreading processor, and the latest and greatest is just an octo- or deca-core based on Skylake.

My i7-2700K system feeds my HDTV and I can play games on the desk monitor simultaneously. It never misses a lick.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Picked up used 3950x locally for my server at $400. So now I'm at 16 cores. If I can find another deal like that I'll be upgrading 3900x in my primary desktop too. Crazy to think that 4 years ago people were paying $400 for 4c8t CPU and now I can get 16 cores at the same price.

Reactions: Drazick

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Decent amount of cores across the desktops and servers. Have three laptops but those are all 2 and 4 core units.

CPUCores
3970X32
5950X16
10700K8
9900K8
Server 2x2630L12
Server 2x2630L12
Total88

mv2devnull

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2010
The answer seems to be "4":
Code:
Thread(s) per core:  2
Core(s) per socket:  4
Socket(s):           1
NUMA node(s):        1
Vendor ID:           GenuineIntel
CPU family:          6
Model:               94
Model name:          Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
That for "PERSONAL PC" (which reads after expanding the acronym: "PERSONAL PERSONAL Computer")

Servers ... router (aka DHCP server) has (dual core?) "Cavium Octeon+" and NAS has Dual Core Atom.

Wait! Does mobile phone's "Octa-core ARM" count as 8 core Personal Personal Computer?

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
4, but if I counted the total number of cores in all active machines in my flat... 60 cores across various machines, mostly older Xeons.

Edit: Probably have more cores I'm not counting because it just makes me look like a computer hoarder. Because you could say I am one, but I use all of them!
So a pragmatic hoarder then 😶

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I'm going to have a lot of cores by the time this day is over.

"Sheltering-in-place", we've discovered the "Joy of Cooking". I have about 12 Granny Smith apples, sitting at room temperature for about 7 days. They're still hard and green, but I won't press my luck.

So today, I will prepare them for pie. And I'll have many cores left over.

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
Was on 2 and 4 core i7 laptops for many years. Going back to big cooling desktop was and still is a very much enjoyed experience. And only having to use spinning disks level of performance besides for backups!!!! :)

For more than web / browser surfing and office productivity apps, I hope to never have to have less than 8 cores again with decent cooling. Nice being able to multi-task and not have hiccups or major slow downs that I don't know are coming.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
My personal PC is an i7-920 from 2009 so 4 cores for me. I'm honestly shocked that 12 years later most consumer systems are still 6-8 cores. I realize that IPC is much better and speeds are faster (I'm running at 3.6GHz all core), but it still seems strange that it takes an enthusiast level PC to go beyond that. I guess most just don't need more cores than that (probably including me).

SAAA

May 14, 2014
I wanted to vote 17 but couldn't, hence 6.

My personal PC is an i7-920 from 2009 so 4 cores for me. I'm honestly shocked that 12 years later most consumer systems are still 6-8 cores. I realize that IPC is much better and speeds are faster (I'm running at 3.6GHz all core), but it still seems strange that it takes an enthusiast level PC to go beyond that. I guess most just don't need more cores than that (probably including me).

No really, who is using above 20 for everyday desktop?
I know it's cool to have more but unless you are rendering or doing molecular simulations all day chance is 4 cores are still enough. 4 fast cores, like Tiger mobile, could probably run circles around older i7 up to Kabylake.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I've finally learned to make a superb, deep-dish apple-pie with a crust that doesn't bake itself into a vaulted ceiling over the apples. With that, I end up with about 14 to 16 cores of Granny Smith leftovers for the trash.

I've offered up this info in other threads: "Who are the real mainstreamers, and what do they have?" My dentist uses 4-core Xeons from corporate-surplus-asset turnovers: they're all Dell workstations, and he simply replaces the PSUs when he buys them. My friend the retired plasma physicist has at most 4 cores, and spends a lot of time with his cell-phone. A retired white-collar police detective has 4. A retired Navy electronics technician -- who can tell you everything you need to know about your DIY projects and he keeps up with laptop and tablet technology -- he is still using a C2D Conroe for his main desktop. My high-school sweetheart -- now widowed and living over in Yorba Linda -- I think she may only have a dual-core system, but proudly proclaims that her computer is all set up to print out mailing labels.

Another high-school chum became an electronics technician and worked part-time at the local junior college servicing their PCs. He asked me a year ago if he should buy an SATA SSD for his main rig, which -- I think -- is something like a dual-core E-8600. If I remember, it is a DELL OEM box. And -- he's a real "piece of work". He is neurotically disciplined: he consciously limits his internet access to three times per week. He thinks that anything more than that is "unhealthy".

If I hang out a lot here at the forums, having skipped away from the computer-tech forums and threads for a couple years with a new devotion to "Garage" and "P&N" -- I could begin to feel a bit "inferior", or even someone with Luddite tendencies. I've probably contemplated having a lowly hexa-core system (what's that? An i9-9900K?) for four years or so.

But unless my games and applications change very much at my ripe old age of nearly 74, moving up to last year's Comet Lake is not a big priority. Not at all.