How many computers do you have?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
1 Laptop, however my family has 1 Desktop, and 4 more laptops. I am free tech support for all of the above :frown:

Lurknomore

Golden Member
Jul 3, 2005
1 P4 for surfing
1 Athlon for paying the bills
1 Q6600 for future multimedia
1 dead Toshiba laptop.

crab

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2001
2 desktops, 1 laptop, and one in the A/V rack for our entry/security system.

Instan00dles

Golden Member
Jun 15, 2001
in the house I have 1 computer, my brother has 1, another brother has one desktop and a laptop, father has a desktop, work laptop and car repair laptop and there is a smoothwall router on in the basement.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
only two that I used on a regular basis. my desktop and laptop.

I've got a third box that used to be running as my dvr, but I haven't powered it on in like 7 months.

EGGO

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
A laptop, a Mac Pro (main workstation), a PC that will be scrapped (check out the FS/FT forum sometime soon), a very old Alienware, and a worthless Dell.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
What, actual useful working computers?

Main desktop PC, spare desktop PC, HTPC, laptop, big old PIII server, classic imac, couple of old sun machines, various SBC/SFF things from projects... maybe 10?

Plus several machines worth of bits - some high spec some very old.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
3 desktops
Only 1 is active regularly, I end up building a new one every 1-2 years.

I used to have like 6 computers, but 3 were so ancient that I gave them away to people more interested.

aloser

Nov 20, 2004
Originally posted by: MrWizzard
What's a computer? Are they fun to use?

If you don't own a computer, don't worry - you won't need one. There's only a worldwide market for, at most, 5 of them. That's straight from IBM besides, so it must be true. :p

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Originally posted by: LuckyTaxi
i used to have 6 and then finally realized 2 is all i need. why does anyone need more than 2 unless it's for some sort of shop?
one laptop and one desktop. done.

...:thumbsup: two desktops and a few door stops.

DarkThinker

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2007
2 ThinkPads one T60 and one X24 (one is a hardcore programming / development laptop and the lighter one is a home and on the go web surfing laptop) both running Fedora 8 Linux

One IBM S50 desktop running 24/7 just so that I can get some ass kicking free online 256KB/s Trance muzak any second I want by simply turning on my room speakers. Also serves as a virtual machine server ...for when I feel like dabbling with other operating systems and stuff...

One slim IBM NetVista Fedora 8 Linux FTP / SVN server running under 24/7 under my bed so that it keeps the boogey man away.

My PlayStation 3 on my desk running Fedora 8.....well this one doesn't serve much of a purpose but it's there just because I can :D....well at least until Sony allows access to their effinl RSX graphics chip (which you can sign the petition in my sig if you would like to help ) through their stupid hardware hypervisor..then I might consider turning that into a nice little FlightGear simulator under Linux

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
Seven as of yesterday (see sig), with another soon to be bought. I built a rig out of spare parts yesterday, but have no need for it whatsoever ... it was more or less to show some young friends how to build A PC. I have a lappy that usta be in my sig but I was cleaning the sig rigs up when I accidentally deleted that one.
I'm planning on buying an HP MediaServer 470 within the month, so that makes eight, but I really do want to sell off two of the PCs. None are even remotely close to stock, so its hard finding a general usage buyer that wants to pay extra for a good video card when Dell will sell them a PC for $400.
Yesterdays build was an e2180 rig with 2 320gb HDs to try out dual boot, and I had an offer on it today already, but there's no way in Hell I am selling a dual boot (XP, Vista Ult.) to be used as a family PC when I know I will be called within a month to fix something that the kids hosed on it.

Edit: There are more in the garage, but since they aren't hooked up to any monitor or KVM, I won't count them. The wife is on my case about tossing a few, so its a firesale around my house lately. I should just set up a fruit stand out front with a sign saying 'Free PC with every fruit purchase'.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Currently have 4:

1 Dell Desktop
2 Custom built
1 Dell Laptop

Going to donate the two custom build (P3-866MHz).