How many computers do you have?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

theknight571

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
Currently in use: 2 desktops and a laptop

Being "rebuilt": 1 desktop and a laptop

In storage: 4-5 desktops some stripped for parts, others waiting to be disposed of.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
only 1 desktop. I want to buy a laptop, but cant afford it. student budget FTL

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
Originally posted by: techs
These days I have 5 computers. Two on my desk switched between one monitor. One laptop. Two in my computer shop.
I am thinking of adding a Server 2003 or Server 2008 machine in my apartment to manage them. Or maybe a HTPC....
Can you be too rich, too thin or have too many computers?......

Reminds me of this bash quote:

http://bash.org/?5273

hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.

I have one desktop for me, a laptop in a docking station 100% of the time for the wife, a laptop for work (usually docked) and a desktop I am planning on setting up for the kids. Final score: Desktops 2, Laptops 2).

I also have a desktop (with CPU, RAM, HD, DVD, etc.) that I am planning on selling (Shuttle SD36G5M - LOL!!!: I wrote this review!)

MotionMan

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
1 laptop win2000 (wife)
1 laptop macosx (me)
1 desktop winxp (wife + kids)
1 desktop winxp (me)
1 desktop linux (me)

i have assorted parts in the basement with which i can build another machine.

moonbit

Dec 15, 2006
I have two desktops and a laptop. Husband has an iMac and an iPhone. :roll: The iMac is new, so I'm getting rid of one of the desktops (which my husband used), and maybe the laptop.

So that's 4? 4 and a half?

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Only counting machines that are currently hooked up and running
1 htpc
2 desktops
2 laptops
1 server

Between the GF and I, we have 1 more laptop and 3 more desktops that are not hooked up. Her laptop is a decent machine, (p4 with 768mb of ram), however, the LCD is broken and we don't really need a third desktop, so it's been unused the last few months. Eventually we will find some room for it and I'll hook it up with a Monitor ... Or I'll replace the screen ... but that isn't a top priority right now. There are 4 of us living in the house, and it seems like we can never have too many machines :0
I'd like to eventually get another HTPC for the other TV, perhaps whenever I can budget the funds to upgrade one of my desktops, I'll use my old desktop as a second HTPC. But it'll be a while before that, I spent the last several months accumulating a frightening credit card balance (bought a new house before I sold the old one and then lost money when selling the old one.) It'll take me at least a year or so to pay the balance down, and I am not about to charge even more to the CC for an upgrade that I don't really "need" yet. Maybe next year :(

slackwarelinux

Sep 22, 2004
On the network right now?
1 laptop (linux)
1 server (linux)
1 router (linux)
1 embedded linux development board (linux)
1 sharp zaurus (linux)

total power consumption? less than 200 watts

over 3000 miles away?
1 desktop (linux)

Juno

Lifer
Jul 3, 2004
3 right now (ignore the one in my sig, it's not updated)
gaming rig
servers (web/print)

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
4 at the moment, Primary Vista box, secondary Vista box for watching/recording from DirecTV, and 2 OpenSuSE Linux boxes for Samba shares. I also have an A7N8X box that is out of service ATM due to bad caps on the MB.

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
2 desktops (XP Pro)
1 laptop (XP Home)
Soon to be another desktop with Linux.

All run Folding@Home. My brother has about 6 at home which I run folding on. You can never have too many computers.

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
7 machines in total. Plus I have another laptop that I never use thats in the closet.
1 lappie - IBM T43 (work) - windowsxp
2 windows machines.
4 linux boxes.

funkymatt

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2005
3 systems are always on, my main machine, the HTPC in the bedroom and the HTPC/wife's machine in the living room. My son's computer is sometimes on but it's currently undergoing an upgrade. Then we have the 2 laptops one of which is seldom on. I also have a motherboard out on my bench for testing as well as a complete system for testing.

what is that... 8?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Oh jeez...
Functional -
2 Dell laptops circa 2002 running Ubuntu; one is hooked up to the receiver in my living room to play music
Linux server that I use mostly for experimentation
HTPC
Personal computer
Wife's personal computer
My current laptop
Wife's current laptop

Also have wife's old laptop that just needs to have a stick of memory removed and a reformat, but I have no use for it at the moment.

So 8.5 between 2 people; 6 for just me.

Edit: Oh yeah, I also have an old Compaq compact PC, but I couldn't get Ubuntu installed on it.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Two if you count my PS3. One for real. Whenever I get a new one, the old one goes into "storage". I don't need a dedicated server/downloader machine, so I'm happy.

middlehead

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
One desktop consistently on, one desktop that's in working order but not in regular use, one laptop that's my primary machine now, one laptop that's in working order but not in regular use. I plan to build another desktop soon.

ViperVin2

Mar 9, 2001
For me: 1 desktop and 1 laptop in the car
In the house: 1 HTPC and 2 laptop
Non-working: 2 desktops