How many Amps do the cheap 4port USB wall chargers realistically deliver?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I find the rule of thumb is 1 Chinese watt = 0.25 real watts.

About right. Typically they have a marginal spec to deliver rated output of one port at a time, split over 3/4 ports. Even then they're pushing components past spec most likely.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I will only use Aukley Anker or Ravpower as i have seen these taken apart, and they use quality parts.
I am a firm believer of what is priced is exactly what you get unless its anything Apple especially "Beats" brand.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
I will only use Aukley Anker or Ravpower as i have seen these taken apart, and they use quality parts.
I am a firm believer of what is priced is exactly what you get unless its anything Apple especially "Beats" brand.
Particularly, you don't want to mess with things doing power conversions. You wouldn't trust a $50 1000W power supply, the same rule applies to chargers.

Anything converting AC to DC is a prime location for magic smoke and destroyed devices.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Particularly, you don't want to mess with things doing power conversions. You wouldn't trust a $50 1000W power supply, the same rule applies to chargers.

Anything converting AC to DC is a prime location for magic smoke and destroyed devices.
So, are you saying, that we should not plug in some of the higher priced things we own (computers, cell phones, TVs, etc) into the cheapest thing we can possibly buy?