How many Amps do the cheap 4port USB wall chargers realistically deliver?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
i have 2 phones and a fitbit but only a single port wall charger.
i cant charge both phones at same time and i'm tired of switching out the usb micro-A cable with the fitbit cable.

so i was looking at 3 or 4 port usb wall chargers.
Aukey multi-port wall chargers are EXPENSIVE compared to ebay.

eBay $4.29:

3 regular ports + 1 fast charge port:
s-l500.jpg

the ebay one above says 3.1A.
i need at least 1A since my desktop computer's usb port (500mA) barely charges my phone because i use the phone as a wifi Hotspot.

how much power do you think it actually delivers?

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Realistically, you'll probably get more than 1A if you have just one device connected, but less than that if you have more than 1 device plugged in at once.

Of course, you also have to worry about the thing overheating, catching on fire, and/or damaging your device because of poor quality control on those Chinese knockoff chargers. I wouldn't risk it.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I've had multiple cheap ones burn out on me. I have since switched entirely to Aukey. They aren't too expensive if you get a discontinued model.

I personally always use this 2-port one, since I only need to charge two things, and since it folds up to not have snaggy parts in my luggage:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I've had multiple cheap ones burn out on me. I have since switched entirely to Aukey. They aren't too expensive if you get a discontinued model.

I personally always use this 2-port one, since I only need to charge two things, and since it folds up to not have snaggy parts in my luggage:
fire/burn up??? :eek:

and thanks for the link to the cheap 4 port!
how did you find this deal?

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I've been using multi-port 'Orico'-brand USB chargers for a while. For some time, they were available below $10 at Newegg.

teejee

Jul 4, 2013
Don’t buy cheap chargers. It is as simple as that.

Only buy quality brands like Anker and Aukey.

Reactions: FaaR

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
i have 2 phones and a fitbit but only a single port wall charger.
i cant charge both phones at same time and i'm tired of switching out the usb micro-A cable with the fitbit cable.

so i was looking at 3 or 4 port usb wall chargers.
Aukey multi-port wall chargers are EXPENSIVE compared to ebay.

eBay $4.29:

3 regular ports + 1 fast charge port:
s-l500.jpg

the ebay one above says 3.1A.
i need at least 1A since my desktop computer's usb port (500mA) barely charges my phone because i use the phone as a wifi Hotspot.

Lol that one can only put out 3A @ 5VDC.

See picture 6.

teejee

Jul 4, 2013
The cheapest 3-port charger I recommend is IKEA Koppla

It is actually quite well built. But it is only 17W so still limited. But no safety issues at least.

So look for Anker/Aukey and pay the price

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
The cheapest 3-port charger I recommend is IKEA Koppla

It is actually quite well built. But it is only 17W so still limited. But no safety issues at least.

So look for Anker/Aukey and pay the price
5V max 3.4A

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001

That's a great price for a 40W Aukey. I paid $25 for my Anker 40W (5-port) a few years back... still going strong. Not sure if Anker's IQ technology is Quick Charge equivalent (don't think so). This doesn't have QC either.

Agree that cheapo ones get really hot and scary.

Last edited:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Lol that one can only put out 3A @ 5VDC.

See picture 6.

so .75A each port?
or it'll allow you to draw as many amps as your device can drink and exceed the 3A max? thus why it could melt/burn up?

5V max 3.4A
so 1.13A max each port?
or any combination up to 3.4A and then the built in circuitry wont allow you to draw more than 3.4A max thus preventing a fire?

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
fire/burn up??? :eek:

Smoke smell / stop working. No actual fire.

Honestly, I just typed "Aukey 4 port" into Amazon and that deal came up. It isn't high powered, but it is cheap.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Honestly, I just typed "Aukey 4 port" into Amazon and that deal came up.
It isn't high powered, but it is cheap.
ahh.. when i typed 'aukey' in amazon, that 4 port didnt show up.
when i typed 'aukey 4 port', it showed up but when i sorted from low to high, it disappeared again. :eek:
amazon algorithm sucks!

avg 2A per port for $10 is the best bang for the buck out of all the suggestions listed in this thread.
also, i dont need more than 2A/port.

even if i do need more than 2A/port in the future, i doubt i need more than 8A from a single port.

um.. are there usb devices that take more than 8A to charge from a single port?
if so, what?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Many of the no-name chargers on Ebay are not very good. There have been a few websites where people have opened up the wall chargers (and laptop) chargers and found unsafe junk components.

I'd be very careful buying super cheap items that fall under the category of "too good to be true" pricing.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
so .75A each port?
or it'll allow you to draw as many amps as your device can drink and exceed the 3A max? thus why it could melt/burn up?

so 1.13A max each port?
or any combination up to 3.4A and then the built in circuitry wont allow you to draw more than 3.4A max thus preventing a fire?
The first one doesn't specify how much each port is limited to but it can only put out 3A total at 5V. Ikea one says max per port is 2.4A but the charger can only put out 3.4A

And I would trust the IKEA rating a bit more than the ebay noname one.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
The first one doesn't specify how much each port is limited to but it can only put out 3A total at 5V.
so how does a cheap ebay wall charger catch on fire if the max it'll do is 3A?
or it's lying about the 3A limit and you can draw unlimited thus melting the insulation protecting the wires?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
or it's lying about the 3A limit and you can draw unlimited thus melting the insulation protecting the wires?

Many different ways, mainly poor component quality and design.
I would never get a charger that does not have a cord. Having to cram everything into form factor that works with receptacles carries compromises.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I'm not an electrical engineer, but I have played with a few voltage regulators. The cheap linear voltage regulators output heat proportional to the current used. Double the current and you double the heat output. Without additional circuitry (at additional cost) to limit how much current is used, the heat output can be quite high. Then put the whole thing into a cheap plastic box which can't dissipate much heat and you see why the regulators burn themselves up.

Reactions: VirtualLarry
Nov 20, 2009
Wouldn't it be cheaper/easier to buy multiple one-port rapid chargers and plug then into a power strip that plugs into one wall outlet?

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007
Why not just plug your charging cable/s into your computer/laptop. Stick the charger you got in your travelling bag, so you're ready when you're going out of town...

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Just replace a couple of your outlets with these:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Just replace a couple of your outlets with these:

You want a shorter charging cable and wall sockets are pretty far from where your phone usually is.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I contributed to an Indiegogo startup (SlimQ) and got a literally cool GAN 2 port 65watt charger that's pretty small. They have a followup campaign going and I contributed $96 and am supposed to get a 100watt and another 65watt GAN charger. It's slow to come because they are having problems developing the product, design issues. But they send out emails around every 2 weeks and explain the issues. I'm in no hurry. I have all kinds of chargers. I often just plug USB charging cables into a PC. Those GAN chargers are especially good for travel. Light, good charge, run cool. The other ones are notorious for overheating.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Most chargers from descent brands will tell you their total wattage.
Typical 'fast charge' is 12w. Newer ones are 18w for phones. Bigger devices can take 45w or even more. If you're looking to charge a couple phones and a tablet you probably want 30-60w above there it starts getting expensive. I wouldn't buy something without at least 1 usb type c port, preferably 2.

Cheap ebay ones probably don't deliver more than 12-15w if you're lucky. 1A shouldn't be a problem. FWIW your cable *could* be your problem with your desktop port. It'll only put out 500ma if it can't determine that its a charging cable. Most ports can put out 1A, even usb 2.