How long have you been "PC" gaming?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

homebrew2ny

Jan 3, 2013
I have been a 'build my own gaming rig' gamer since 1999, however I have been in to PC games since the days of Oregon Trail on Apple II circa mid-1980's. So I guess it's closing in on 30 years....

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
FIRST game ever was a Jeff Minter game I "typed in" from one of the masses of C64 magazines available....some of you old guys still remember typing in BASIC programs, or worse, machine code dumps right off paper magazines? :) That was..about 1985ish I think.

First game i ever BOUGHT was some datasette Pacman clone named "Pacacuda".

PC gaming came LONG after, after many years of great gaming on the Amiga (anyone remember titles like Eye of the Beholder etc. on Amiga? :) ) - first PC was some DX-something based CPU PC I somehow built from spares and parts and cramped into an incredibly small PC case a friend had over.

First 3D card was a Nvidia "Riva 128" (yes I entirely skipped Voodoo)..and the Riva was what really got me hooked then because "real" 3D games were just amazing. I think the first 3D game I played was Tomb Raider II...hooked from thereon.

Last edited:

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I started at age four in 1986 on my C64. Mostly educational games at the time. I moved on to a Tandy SL/2 in 1991, then a Packard Bell Pentium 60 in 1995. In 1997, I built my own system and have ever since.

George_o/c

Mar 31, 2013
Started PC Gaming back in 1998. First games I tried were Fifa 98, World Cup 98, JazzJackRabbit 2, Fifa 99 and Moto Racer.

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
1996, first hardcore gaming was on an Apple Power PC playing Marathon two player LAN with my friend....

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
I started on the C64 thirty years ago.

PS- Thanks for reminding me of how old I am. :p

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
Probably around 95 with some kids games. Didn't really get into better stuff till ghost recon days, then some rainbow six, and it kinda spiraled from there.

bpatters69

Aug 25, 2004
:thumbsup: Archon FTW! 28 yrs also

This is the greatest thread ever... now, i do not feel so dang old. I thought Archon was one of the best games at its time. I would probably even get a kick out of it today. The first video game I played was Space Invaders in an arcade in Asia. That was probably 1976 or 77. I moved on to Pong and then the Atari 2600 or whatver the heck the Atari model was. I also had a Texas Instruments, Ti994... I used to create games for it and also program games that I found in Magazines - basically just type in the code and play away. Some of those games were pretty decent.

Hinda65

Jun 19, 2010
1986 - C64 I remember playing beach head and some taxi game...space taxi mabey then just played consoles till '95

1995 - I played magic carpet on my roomates rig 8hrs one day and was forever hooked on the PC...I'd play a game here and there for the next couple years...nothing serious, then Thief and Half Life came out and I don't think I've touched a console since (cept for the occasional late night drunk rockband sesh of course)

Thor86

Diamond Member
May 3, 2001
Somone beat me to it. Texas Instruments TI-99/4A. Hooked it up to a Zenith colour TV and played Parsec. Still remember the Bill Cosby commercials.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Since 1990, age 3, playing some educational games on my dad's old monochrome-display IBM (not sure of the exact model).

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
I've been computer gaming since the Apple II, but my first "PC" was a 286 with a huge for the time 40 MB hard drive.....mid to late 80s if I remember correctly.

I also had an Atari XE Computer.

pashbe1

May 5, 2009
Commodore 64 with the 5.5" Floppy drive and Commodore branded monitor. The floppy drive was sensitive to not being level.

Games I remember playing:

SSi Wargame Construction Set (Strategic Simulations inc., they made a great Vietman tbs)
Elite (no C64 gamer forgets that one)
Ultima series
Dungeons & Dragons had some cool games
Who Dares
BubbleBubble
Blue Max

Man there were so many. Sigh.

pathos

Aug 12, 2009
hrm, don't remember the year. the first gaming I ever did (outside of arcades), was on an atari 2600, back when i was 6 or 7.

the first pc gaming i did was an old texas instruments...something. had a cassette drive. We bought magazines, and you'd type up your own games from the code in the magazine, heh. Well, we did have 1 store bought game, temple of apshai, or some such. Think we also had the sequel, return to apshai. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd go and look up the spelling. It was a long, long time ago.

We did get a commodore 64 for a bit. Hand me down from my cousin. Played the crap out of Pool of Radiance, and the later games.

After that, mostly played games on the comp's at high school, apple 2c's, d'2, and 2+'s. Several text based games. The one we played that had actual graphics, was called Return to Atlantis, I think.

After high school, I was to poor to own a pc for a long time :D I would go to a friends house and play The Elder Scrolls Arena, on my friends 486.

The first computer I owned was a pentium 166. Bought it specifically to play The Elder Scrolls Daggerfall. That should have been in the 1996-1999 range.

And the rest is history.

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
FIRST game ever was a Jeff Minter game I "typed in" from one of the masses of C64 magazines available....some of you old guys still remember typing in BASIC programs, or worse, machine code dumps right off paper magazines? :) That was..about 1985ish I think.

First game i ever BOUGHT was some datasette Pacman clone named "Pacacuda".

PC gaming came LONG after, after many years of great gaming on the Amiga (anyone remember titles like Eye of the Beholder etc. on Amiga? :) ) - first PC was some DX-something based CPU PC I somehow built from spares and parts and cramped into an incredibly small PC case a friend had over.

First 3D card was a Nvidia "Riva 128" (yes I entirely skipped Voodoo)..and the Riva was what really got me hooked then because "real" 3D games were just amazing. I think the first 3D game I played was Tomb Raider II...hooked from thereon.

The worst part is being almost done typing in that game and right as your about to finish the last few lines, you get a power glitch. and poof 30-40 minutes of typing just to get it saved to cassette so you can start playing.

And kids today complain about 15 second boot times.

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
Probably 28 years now. Got a Commodore 64 when I was 5.

Am I the only one here that kept getting toys and sporting items as gifts during the 70s and 80s?

I do not think my parents even knew computers existed at that time..lol!

Feb 16, 2005
Ever since I discovered this
ll_arcade_ss.png