how long does it take you to fall asleep?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
If you fall asleep in 5 minutes or less, its a good bet you're not getting enough sleep. 10 to 15 minutes to fall asleep is supposed to mean that you are getting the right amount. Your body takes time to wind down.

Having said that, I've been falling asleep almost immediately after crawling into bed the last few weeks. Combination of long work hours, long school hours, and few available sleeping hours adds up and I usually end up paying for it on the weekends.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Non insomnia periods 5-10 minutes max. Once every 3 months or so I have a bout of insomnia and it can take 2-3 hours. Oddly enough I never have insomnia on a night when it doesn't matter how late I sleep the next morning.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
How the hell can you fall asleep in less than 5 minutes? :confused:

It takes me at least 15min (assuming I'm dead tired,) and usually more like 30-45min, and often an hour or 3. I thought that was normal?

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
I've worked 12 hours graveyard shifts for a decade....falling asleep can sometimes be a disturbingly cruel game of glancing at the clock and going "OMG I've got to work all night again in a couple hours :evil: "

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
0-5 min average. Sometimes a bout of insomnia will hit me and that changes to around 1.5 hours, but that only hits me about 2 nights in a row out of 40

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
About an hour or two usually. Though there are sometimes circumstances that will accelerate that.

Pugnax

Jan 17, 2000
Originally posted by: j00fek
not ong if im wasted :D

Yeah same, although according the UMM site:

Avoid alcohol 4-6 hours before bedtime. Many people believe that alcohol helps them sleep. While alcohol has an immediate sleep-inducing effect, a few hours later as the alcohol levels in your blood start to fall, there is a stimulant or wake-up effect.

I don't think I've experience that wake-up effect...but I go right to sleep with a few drinks in me.

Usually though 1-1.5 hrs for me to fall asleep. Kinda frustrating since I just keep thinking about how tired I'll be in the morning waking up. Damn active brain!

PepePeru

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2005
situational.

depends on how tired i am.
how much is on my mind.

60% of the time 5-10 mins.

jjzelinski

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Baloo
The dumber you are, the less time it takes you to fall asleep. The smarter you are, and hence the more thought going thru your mind, the longer it takes you to fall asleep. However, if you typically take longer than 20 minutes to fall asleep, you have a sleep disorder, see your doctor - though you may need to see a Psychotherapist.

Was that comment supposed to be taken seriously? That's somewhere along the lines of big head = SmRt!2@ I'm sure the elephant man would love to hear that!

As someone mentioned, stress levels and the amount of physical exertion (fatigue)endured throughout the day are among the most significant factors that influence a persons ability to sleep.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
fast. I don't have a clue in terms of time. Unless I hit one of those weird days where I just can't fall asleep.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I usually fall asllep withimn 3 hsjsddkul;o 'p[;l.llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Gothgar
If I am tired when I lay down its pretty much instant, I've actually heard myself snore no more than a few seconds after my head hit the pillow. If I am not tired, couple minutes at most.

LOL. I used to hear myself beginning to snore too before I got on the CPAP machine. It's a very weird sensation to hear snoring noises, then immediately, lights out. That doesn't happen anymore now. ;)

legoman666

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2003
Originally posted by: m1ldslide1
5 minutes. I've heard in various classes that it should take you 15 minutes to fall asleep every night. If you're out as soon as you hit the pillow, then you need to get more sleep. Deprivation like this over many decades can apparently shorten your life significantly.

<---- doesn't get enough rest

that depends on how you define life span. Say you get 8 hours of sleep every night, you may live more years, but you'll be asleep for more of it than if you had slept 6 hours per night.