How long can a person go without eating???

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: yowolabi
my quality of life seems pretty good to me. I always feel good. Of course, that might just be the caffeine and sugar...

See, this is the interesting thing about diet and how we live... Most of us go around feeling like sh!t all the time. The thing is, we don't realize it.. because it's all we're used to. We don't know any other feeling, so we accept it as being normal. It's when you start feeling better that you realize how utterly garbage-like you feel all the time, lol.

A bout 2 years ago, I went on a health and diet information rampage... Basically what I learned is that almost nothing that we ingest is actually good for us anymore. So I took the challenge myself.. I ate nothing but fruits and vegetables, and drank nothing but water and fresh squeezed juices. I did this for a week, and let me tell you.. after that week, I had never felt better. I continued on for with the healthy eating for about 4 months, and it just got better and better..

I slacked off after that, and the first time I went to Burger King.. It was horrible. It felt like I had eaten 5lbs of lead. It didn't make me feel good to eat like it normally did.

I'm used to fast food and all that garbage again now.. It costs too much to live healthy, especially with no job. But it sure was interesting, and I plan on going back to it when I can...

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
Starving yourself will cause your body to eventually start to consume itself to survive, such as muscle mass. It's a good way to get yourself screwed up pretty bad.

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Originally posted by: DrumminBoy
but she claims that if she has enough faith in god he will keep her from starving. (i hope i didnt just start a flame war)

no but I did laugh at that.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: DrumminBoy
Theres a girl at my school thats currently fasting the whole month of january to show her faith in god. She has 1 protein shake in the morning to make sure she gets her essentials, and has nothing the rest of the day besides water. Seems a little extreme to me, but she claims that if she has enough faith in god he will keep her from starving. (i hope i didnt just start a flame war)

Well, whatever floats your boat. She isn't going to die though, regardless.. so that's kinda silly.

That one protein shake a day probably contains more vitamins, minerals and calories than half the people in Africa get in a week.

Actually, people that are extreme to this degree kinda annoy me... I mean, don't get me wrong.. I have faith, but I liken that to those wacko families that don't take their baby to the doctor because they think Jesus is going to save it, and it dies of the flu. :disgust:

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Eli, i did the same thing a long time ago in High School where i stopped drinking soda and coffee, and ate strictly Salads, veggies, and fruit.

I never felt better in my life, even though i was not getting my recommended amount of protein.

what was weird is that my sweat smelled, in an odd sort of way, good.