How long can a person go without eating???

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Skel, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Skel

Skel Diamond Member

I was thinking about this the other day. I have a buddy that starves himself to lose weight. Even after I tell him, that's only doing more damage. So how long can a person go?

2. Anubis

Anubis No Lifer

if he keeps drinking water. like a week or 2. provided he has teh fat stores to use up

3. pyonir

pyonir Lifer

as long as he continues with vitamins and water, some have lived 6 weeks or more.

e.g. Bobby Sands.

4. radioouman

radioouman Diamond Member

I think that you can go for about 30 days, if you have plenty to drink. Obviously not good for your body.

5. Skel

Skel Diamond Member

Wow, the longest I've gone is 5 days... even then I could barely stand up..

6. amnesiac

amnesiac Lifer

Ask him if he realizes that starving himself is a good way to lose muscle mass too. He'll just get weaker. It also screws with your immune system. Ask him if he's heard of exercise.

7. pyonir

pyonir Lifer

8. Rudee

Rudee Lifer

Tell your buddy that all he's doing by starving himself is lowing his body's metabolic setpoint, which in turn causes him to put fat on even quicker once he resumes normal eating.

What he's doing is called "yo-yo" dieting, and he can continue with it indefinitely. When "yo-yo" dieters lose a significant amount of weight, they end up looking like a smaller, flabbier version of their heavier selves. This is not the way to go about losing fat (notice I said "fat" not "weight") big difference.

9. Fausto

Fausto Elite Member

Depends on how much fat they have on them to begin with. A pound of fat contains roughly 3500 kcal and the average adult male's BMR is around 2,000 kcal/day. So, if we assume your buddy has 20 extra pounds on him and he does as little as possible and keeps his caloric expenditures to 2500 kcal/day (almost impossible) he could theoretically go almost a month without eating as long as he stayed hydrated and took supplements to keep his vitamin/mineral/electrolyte levels normal. He'd also look like he just came from a concentration camp since his body would be scavenging muscle tissue in addition to the fat. Not a super idea any way you cut it.

10. Skel

Skel Diamond Member

Yeah, I did point that out to him more then once...

11. MrsHoneybee

MrsHoneybee Senior member

I wouldn't wanna try that.

12. Sluggo

Sluggo Lifer

Your body is tuned to defend itself against starvation. Your body will use muscle mass for energy BEFORE it uses its fat stores.

13. Ameesh

Ameesh Lifer

on just water alone a human can survive for 3 months, on food alone (no water) only 30 days.

14. WinkOsmosis

WinkOsmosis Banned

Someone can survive that long without water? I'm pretty sure it's less than a week.

15. yowolabi

yowolabi Diamond Member

http://askthecoach.apte.com/question.cfm/210.cfm

You wouldn't come within sniffing distance of 30 days.

16. Eli

Eli Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
    Super Moderator

As with most things, there is no limit set in stone. It totally depends on the individual and the conditions they are in.

You can survive a lot longer than a week without water in optimal conditions... Hell, there are a lot of people that don't even drink water(just coffee, pop, sugary juice drinks, etc).

17. yowolabi

yowolabi Diamond Member

that describes me, but that stuff qualifies as water. to get an 8 ounce cup of coffee, you need almost 8 ounces of water. Same with pop.

18. Eli

Super Moderator

What? Having a gallon of water only increases life expectancy by 2 days? That can't be right. If you were dehydrated, a gallon of water would go a long way.

19. Eli

Super Moderator

That is incorrect. You are most likely moderately dehydrated, and you don't even know it. Your body cannot utilize the water in the same way when it is saturated with sugar...

Same thing with coffee. Coffee is a diuretic. All those things do is make it feel like your thirst is quenched by wetting your mouth.

Another thing to take into account is that you can drink your urine in a survival situation. You soon get to a point of diminishing returns, but until then.. it certainly isn't going to hurt you.

20. yowolabi

yowolabi Diamond Member

but we were talking about surviving. i probably am moderately dehydrated, but my body can get enough water out of that stuff that i've survived for years like that.

21. yowolabi

yowolabi Diamond Member

22. LongCoolMother

LongCoolMother Diamond Member

i heard they could live for 1 month with water. however, without water, theyd die in a few days.

23. Eli

Super Moderator

What's your point? Yeah.. you're alive. So? I am sure you could keep someone alive on an oz of water a day for quite a long time.

It's quality of life that is the concern. Drink some water, you'll feel better. May seem like a strange question, but how often do you go to the bathroom(#2)? If it's less than once per day, you NEED more liquids(and fiber).

Your body is 70% water, not 70% Coffee and Carbonated sugar water. :p

24. yowolabi

yowolabi Diamond Member

my quality of life seems pretty good to me. I always feel good. Of course, that might just be the caffeine and sugar...

25. DrumminBoy

DrumminBoy Golden Member

Theres a girl at my school thats currently fasting the whole month of january to show her faith in god. She has 1 protein shake in the morning to make sure she gets her essentials, and has nothing the rest of the day besides water. Seems a little extreme to me, but she claims that if she has enough faith in god he will keep her from starving. (i hope i didnt just start a flame war)