Question How likely is it I have 4x bad incompatible/bad sticks of RAM?

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
So here's the issue... had a computer that was working 100% - got back from being out of country for a week and, while the computer powered up, it would not display out to any monitor. Started replacing parts piecemeal to no avail. I eventually said to hell with it and bought ALL new pieces - new mobo (ASUS Tuf Gaming X570 Plus), new power supply (Corsair CX550 M), new processor (Ryzen 3700), new gfx card (RX 570), and new RAM (G.SKILL 32GB (2 x 16GB) Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600). The old computer was a Dell with 2x generic 8gb DDR4 sticks.

Plug in new computer, everything boots/spins, but no video displayed to monitor. ASUS has little error lights on the mobo and the DRAM light stays lit up (which, according to the guide, indicates a failure with the installed memory). I have tried this with 2x of the new sticks (nada), 2x of the old sticks (nada), 1x o the new sticks (nada - tried in multiple slots), and 1x of the old sticks (nada - tried in multiple slots).

Should I commit to buying yet another RAM kit and trying that? It seems unlikely to me that I have 4x bad or incompatible sticks, but the motherboard is telling me it's having RAM issues. This sucks hard as I haven't done this in 10 years or so and I'm totally out of my element at this point.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, AMD AM4 platform (with Zen2 / Ryzen 3000-series CPU) HAS gotten MUCH better with DRAM compatibility, it does help to get "for AMD", or DDR4 that's on the mobo's QVL. (Or DRAM on the DRAM vendor's QVL that matches up with your mobo, although UEFI and AGESA versions can affect compatibility with DRAM as well.)

Some DDR4 that's "for Intel" doesn't always work well with AMD AM4 platform rigs.

Also, did you CLEAR_CMOS after building the whole thing? Did you wait a whole FIVE MINUTES for POST? Some boards, especially MSI, can take a LONG TIME for the "first POST", after building or clearing CMOS. This isn't Intel we're talking about, with instant snappy boots. (Unfortunately.)

Also, when installing DRAM, pay attention to the manual or quick install guide, most AM4 mobos with four DRAM sockets, require you to popular the 2nd and 4th slot FIRST, if you're only using two sticks. Don't use the two closest slots, or the closest and then skip one.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Didn't try clearing CMOS or waiting more than 30 seconds or so for post. I'll try that for shits and giggles. I did install the RAM as indicated by the mobo guide.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
- UPDATE -

Nothing worked. Removed CMOS battery for around 10 minutes. No dice. Turned it on and walked away for 15 minutes. No dice. Tried booting with 0 sticks of RAM - same thing. No matter what I try, there is nothing being outputted to the monitor (no signal). Everything powers on/spins - all pretty and lit up, but I am getting no output to the monitor (I know it's not the monitor or the display port connector as I'm just unplugging from one computer to the problem one).

The only clue I have is that the "DRAM" light is staying lit up regardless of whether I'm using 1 stick, 2 sticks, or no sticks. Motherboard manual says if light stays on, there's a problem there.
20200226-192627.jpg

This is just a quick picture with no sticks of ram in there:

img]

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Didi you check Memory QVL?