How is trillian?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
I'm using Trillian... and I think it's much better than any other IM client out there, though I'll be the first to say it's far from perfect.

It's user interface (in the Trillian Control Panel) has become WAY too dumbed down... but that doesn't bother me *too* much, since I rarely need to use the control panel. It does use a bit too many resources for a single program... but definitely less than the 4 programs it replaces (AIM, ICQ, MSN, Yahoo). I also greatly prefer the nested grouping that Trillian allows, the metagrouping, etc. It logs everything in both TXT and XML format... with the only good way to browse the logs being via notepad. They have a log browser that parses the XML file and presents it that way... but I personally hate the way the log viewer works. That said, I don't know how I'd improve it... which is why I haven't written another one.

Yeah, it has flaws here and there, but overall I think it's the best one out there. I've tried the 'factory' installs of each of the 4 clients, I hate them... I've tried hacked installs of AIM... hated it... I've tried GAIM... begged to have Trillian back... :-

PM/IM me if you want to know anything specific that you can't find on the Trillian website.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I've been using Trillian Pro 1.0C for a few years now, and I love it. I'll never go back.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: nsafreak
Originally posted by: aphex
What i wanna know is what the hell is the difference between Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger?

Windows Messenger is a one way messaging system meant for use inside domains/LANS to communicate stuff like "The e-mail server will be going down for 2 hours for a software upgrade". It basically does one popup alert box on your screen.

MSN Messenger is a two way IM service.

Uhm, no thats Windows Messenger service... I'm talking about Windows Messenger that comes w/ XP....

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/windowsmessenger/default.mspx

arod

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: zerocool1
Originally posted by: konichiwa
use gaim, I think it can do MSN too? not sure

yes it can. but the only issue I have with trillian is I can't read html based profiles in aim.

Just install the minibrowser on trillians website.... its not included with the warezd copies though so you actually have to pay to get that plugin.

Lotheron

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2002
I prefer gaim, although GTK for Windows is a bit cluky sometimes. I think the new bittorrent client is also written in GTK2.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: arod
Originally posted by: zerocool1
Originally posted by: konichiwa
use gaim, I think it can do MSN too? not sure

yes it can. but the only issue I have with trillian is I can't read html based profiles in aim.

Just install the minibrowser on trillians website.... its not included with the warezd copies though so you actually have to pay to get that plugin.

its not in the pay version either

you have to dl the plugin either way

Zee

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 1999
i currently use trillian 3.1 pro and love it. MSN + Aim in a clean interface ownz joo1!!!11!1

Jhill

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Do you have to have an existing AIM or ICQ or MSN account to use trillian? Or can you just get a trillian account and a handle though them?