How is trillian?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CasioTech

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Nik
Originally posted by: konichiwa
Originally posted by: silverpig
GAIM > trillian

Originally posted by: AMDZen
Gaim > Trillian

nuff said

Gaim doesn't have *nearly* the number of features and available mods/bonuses that Trillian does.

probably true but not everyone needs their IM program to clean their house and give them a happy ending. i like mine to sit quietly in the taskbar until i need it and not take up resources.

What resources?

Hey man, did you check my site? Pro's/con's?

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
i like it... not many cons, except you can't go invisible like you can in the new version of AIM. that's outweighed by the pros though, for me at least.

Quasmo

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2004
cons: Buddy Names are Huge... if you have over 50 buddies online you have to scroll to see them. It has alot of trouble with direct connects, video chat, and voice chat. Thats why I use dead aim. Plus I like tabbed IMs.

Tremulant

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
Have you tried Miranda IM?

I don't use it (I use AIM w/ Aim Ad Hack), but IIRC, Quixfire uses it and I don't think he's had any problems with it.

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Trillian was hot in "The Hitchhikers Guide" wish I HAD brought a towel, if you know what I mean ;)

:Q

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Quasmo
cons: Buddy Names are Huge... if you have over 50 buddies online you have to scroll to see them. It has alot of trouble with direct connects, video chat, and voice chat. Thats why I use dead aim. Plus I like tabbed IMs.

Trillian uses tabbed IM'ing. :) The number of buddies you can see without scrolling depends on your screen resolution. I see a crapload of buddies. I do have problems sending files back and forth, but that's what email's for :p

Crappopotamus

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2002
trillian kept losing my msn messages :( people would just not get my messages. and it used to have issues with file transfer, im not sure how far theyre come...

DeviousTrap

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2002
Originally posted by: gopunk
i like it... not many cons, except you can't go invisible like you can in the new version of AIM. that's outweighed by the pros though, for me at least.

Uh, trillian does let you go invisible. Just click the little status icon for AIM then go to Set Status > Invisible.

NiKeFiDO

Diamond Member
May 21, 2004
has all deadaim options, take up less ram than AIM, is an all in one program

con: only can send a person one file at a time :(
or read html in profiles

Quasmo

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2004
Originally posted by: Quasmo

Trillian uses tabbed IM'ing. :) The number of buddies you can see without scrolling depends on your screen resolution. I see a crapload of buddies. I do have problems sending files back and forth, but that's what email's for :p

You cant send 600MBs over email... I also didn't list the tabbed windows with the other cons cause I knew it had it. But at 1280x1024... and I have 85 buddies online I really cant use trillian.

Kodiak

Mar 20, 2005
Pros: Everything
Cons: I liked the tooltips that showed when someone signed on :(

DeviousTrap

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2002
Originally posted by: Kodiak
Pros: Everything
Cons: I liked the tooltips that showed when someone signed on :(

Trillian has tooltips that you can turn on, which will show you everytime someone signs on or off...

no0b

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
Pro: All-in-one
Cons: bloated with too many options thus making it harder to find the right options.

I like GAIM simple and clean, but it could be better.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Originally posted by: Ausm
I like trillian been using it for years now.

Ausm

Same, I tried gaim for a short period of time. I thought it sucked. Only beef I have with Trillian is it does take up a lot of resources, but keep in mind you've got AIM/MSN/Yahoo/ICQ/IRC all at your fingertips.

psiu

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2003
I used Trillian 0.74 up to patch I, however the new Trillian (3.1 is the most recent) sucks IMO. Slow, wussy noises, and just a generally annoying interface with changes for the sake of change (no benefit, just different).

I'm using Gaim now, I really preferred Trillian 0.74I, but since I don't think it's getting any updates I'll go with Gaim.

:(

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
What i wanna know is what the hell is the difference between Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger?

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
Originally posted by: aphex
What i wanna know is what the hell is the difference between Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger?

Windows Messenger is a one way messaging system meant for use inside domains/LANS to communicate stuff like "The e-mail server will be going down for 2 hours for a software upgrade". It basically does one popup alert box on your screen.

MSN Messenger is a two way IM service.

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: aphex

one gives you teh AIDS and the other doesn't. I'm not going to tell you which one does...