How interested would you be in buying an iWatch?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

How interested would you be in buying an iWatch?

• Shut up and take my money...I want one.

• Very interested.

• Not interested because I already have a watch.

• I don't do watches.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Whiskey16

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2011
Out of curiosity what exactly makes Apple's ecosystem so bad?
??? You need to ask? It's Apple's alone. As presented -- locked. Well known. No-sideloading. iTunes. For another topic.

I'm not going to get sucked into a multi-platform debate here. This thread and poll has been made about Apple and my answers have been presented without my participation in this lacklustre poll.

No iWatch, or whatever it may be for me.

Beyond my lack of interest, the stigma of an Apple item on my wrist for others' to see and classify further nullifies it.

Last edited:

MrX8503

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2005
Currently, I don't see myself buying an iWatch. Maybe Apple can change my mind once they release it.

Before the iPhone, I've always wanted a smartphone but current devices were too big. I think Apple is going to have a tougher time selling an iWatch than the iPhone.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Ultra portable..etc. i can certainly see it's usefulness when compared to a regular watch. I mean why not? Watches hasn't gone anywhere outside of keeping your brain conciousncess of the clock/date...if you don't include the cool robot transformer watches and calculator watches of the 80's. lol

However these days, many people treat their phones in the same respects they treat their wallet or purse...as something you never supposed to forget and hold tight to your person, so a more functional watch may not add any value to those types of people, however as a replacement to the standard watch for those that wear one, it will still sell fine at the least.

Before the iPhone, I've always wanted a smartphone but current devices were too big. I think Apple is going to have a tougher time selling an iWatch than the iPhone.

There is still a good market in watches, even pricey ones that serve no better than a cheapo, Apple will still make profits here even if it doesn't become a trendy product seeing how so many other companies make profits from their watches all over the world and profits is all that matters.
How many people thought the iPad was a dumb idea?

Last edited:

thecapsaicinkid

Nov 30, 2012
I want a smart watch about as much as I want a smart refrigerator.

There's something very wrong with smartphones if people feel the need to interact with it via a small screen strapped to their wrist.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
I definitely see a lot of love for the great god "convergence" so, an iWatch would probably be quite popular. OTOH, I wear a watch because I need a handy time reference that doesn't require picking up, frequent charging and, sure as hell, doesn't have the ability to allow someone to interrupt me.

Stone Rain

Feb 25, 2013
www.stonerain.us
I think the iWatch would have to have some sort of fantastic, unique feature. Otherwise let's see, it's essentially a tiny smartphone, most likely without call functions, less durable than a normal watch...and of course would require charging. Even if it were only $200; where's the reason in buying it?

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Looks like this thing is real.

It's official: Apple is finally out of ideas.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

I don't think that it's a terrible idea for Apple. Watches are essentially fashion items and apple are excellent at melding technology and fashion and then marketing the crap out of it.

I personally wouldn't want one and I think that it would have limited functionality but I bet apple could find a market for it.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002

Out of ideas? Apple is rarely the first to come up with something. What they're brilliant at is taking what's out there and combining and polishing into slick easy to use product that anyone can use. So this watch thing is right up their alley. I'm curious what they'll add and improve. No one has done the smart watch right so far so the space is for Apple to take. The watch will only add and strengthen their existing ecosystem. Look for Android copycats very soon.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Out of ideas? Apple is rarely the first to come up with something. What they're brilliant at is taking what's out there and combining and polishing into slick easy to use product that anyone can use. So this watch thing is right up their alley. I'm curious what they'll add and improve. No one has done the smart watch right so far so the space is for Apple to take. The watch will only add and strengthen their existing ecosystem. Look for Android copycats very soon.

I don't really see the appeal in them. If I have to look down at something and all it does is provide tid bit information then no thanks, I already have a phone for that.

At least Glass opens up new possibilities in addition to viewing information.

Feb 19, 2001
I don't really see the appeal in them. If I have to look down at something and all it does is provide tid bit information then no thanks, I already have a phone for that.

At least Glass opens up new possibilities in addition to viewing information.

You have to pull your phone out of your pocket. How many times do you see people pull a phone out, unlock the phone look at it for a few seconds, maybe swipe the notification center, and put their phone back in their pocket? Dozens of times a day. Or even if you have the luxury of an LED, you put your phone on the table and look over after it buzzes to see if it's a green or blue or red LED or whatever.

Then when you leave your desk you gotta remember to pick that phone up and stuff it back in your pocket. Why not have a watch that does it for you? It's always on your wrist. You can glance at it while you type away. No need to pull anything out of your pocket.

I can see that it has a purpose, but I don't really like wearing watches as I always feel constrained when typing. I only wear one as a fashion accessory.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
You have to pull your phone out of your pocket. How many times do you see people pull a phone out, unlock the phone look at it for a few seconds, maybe swipe the notification center, and put their phone back in their pocket? Dozens of times a day. Or even if you have the luxury of an LED, you put your phone on the table and look over after it buzzes to see if it's a green or blue or red LED or whatever.

Then when you leave your desk you gotta remember to pick that phone up and stuff it back in your pocket. Why not have a watch that does it for you? It's always on your wrist. You can glance at it while you type away. No need to pull anything out of your pocket.

I can see that it has a purpose, but I don't really like wearing watches as I always feel constrained when typing. I only wear one as a fashion accessory.

And how is the tiny watch screen going to show you more than a few lines of information while you type away? Does it not require some kind of gesture input to show you more than those few lines?

I don't understand the part where a tiny watch screen is going to be as informative as a full cell phone screen. When people check their phones for alerts, they can also go ahead and reply to whatever incoming message they've received. Can't do that on a watch from what I understand as it only shows you information. You can't actually do anything with the info on the watch other than read it, and then if you do decide to take your phone out after reading whatever alert on your watch then you've actually spent more time dealing with it.

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
I was a Pebble backer and have been wearing one for the past week. It feels like a high quality device and quite useful. I just hope they get the SDK out soon.

It's different from Android smartwatches in that it runs its own low-power OS and an e-ink display. So the display is always on, yet the watch only needs charging only once a week or so.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Out of ideas? Apple is rarely the first to come up with something. What they're brilliant at is taking what's out there and combining and polishing into slick easy to use product that anyone can use.
Well, they've been great at packaging it in sexiness and the sheen of novelty/"the future".

But this is 2012, and Apple's pager-on-your-wrist isn't just trying to obsolete Pebble: it's hitting at about the same time as Glass, which is the most obviously future-is-now product since *at least* the original iPhone.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
What Pebble has shown us is that there is real demand for good smart watch for the general public. Combine with the fact that most people don't wear a watch now, it's virgin territory and ripe for taking. How many kids will ask for iWatch? Look at something like Beats headphones and how popular it got with teenagers. Now imagine the power of Apple brand and marketing for a luxury item like a watch. It will be hip to wear a watch again and millions will buy.

Feb 19, 2001
And how is the tiny watch screen going to show you more than a few lines of information while you type away? Does it not require some kind of gesture input to show you more than those few lines?

I don't understand the part where a tiny watch screen is going to be as informative as a full cell phone screen. When people check their phones for alerts, they can also go ahead and reply to whatever incoming message they've received. Can't do that on a watch from what I understand as it only shows you information. You can't actually do anything with the info on the watch other than read it, and then if you do decide to take your phone out after reading whatever alert on your watch then you've actually spent more time dealing with it.

But just being able to see the notification is useful? It's kinda like when Outlook shows a Growl-like notification on the lower right part of my screen. I can see the subject and sender. I decide then if it's worth my time to switch over to Outlook and read. Otherwise, every ding I get I have to look at my Inbox? I'm not saying the watch replaces the phone. It's a quick hassle-free device that shows you a certain amount of information.

It's kinda like the phone never meant to replace the computer. If I have an email where I need to send documents back and forth my phone isn't really a substitute. I'll read it, maybe quickly reply saying give me 30 minutes I'm at lunch, then go back and hammer something out on my computer. The watch is just another device to get the information to you quicker and easier. You decide on how you want to act.

Who knows? If done right, maybe the watch will allow you to put in canned responses? There's certainly market potential as well as a potential use for such a product. I may not be as interested, but it may be rather useful IMO.

Everyone talks about Glass like it's the way to go, but do you really want to wear glasses? And not to mention add something idiotic to your glasses? People still think bluetooth wearers look like douchebags, and it isn't exactly a mainstream device either. Sure a number of people do use them, but mostly business purposes. The watch is something that's been around for ages, and we're just updating the watch to be more relevant in today's world. Even if Glass is perfected in terms of use, it's a whole step forward to get people to wear something like that everywhere they go.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I guess I'm just trying to understand the uses beyond a growl like system. If they do add a mic you could do short voice responses I guess, but it still seems very limited, and we all know it's not going to be cheap.

Actually, that has me thinking. I know you can set specific ring tones for certain contacts when they call, but we should be able to set a specific ring/alert for any kind of communication received by a certain contact.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Again, it's about copying features and functions more than being first to the space.

Indeed it is, which is why I was surprised to see you calling out Android copy cats when we don't know what functionality the iWatch will have.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
... Everyone talks about Glass like it's the way to go, but do you really want to wear glasses? And not to mention add something idiotic to your glasses? People still think bluetooth wearers look like douchebags, and it isn't exactly a mainstream device either. Sure a number of people do use them, but mostly business purposes. The watch is something that's been around for ages, and we're just updating the watch to be more relevant in today's world. Even if Glass is perfected in terms of use, it's a whole step forward to get people to wear something like that everywhere they go.

People already wear glasses every day. Even the version of Glass now is not that obtrusive and it's obviously going to get less so with time.

I doubt that it's mass market ready for a while though.

Feb 19, 2001
People already wear glasses every day. Even the version of Glass now is not that obtrusive and it's obviously going to get less so with time.

I doubt that it's mass market ready for a while though.

I thought the trend was going from glasses to contacts. Yes maybe more recently glasses have come back with the hipster trends, but if anything glasses aren't the way they were in the 80s and 90s anymore.

I'd say it's pretty obtrusive, and not everyone wants to walk around looking like that. I certainly don't. Anyway, this is more of a personal taste issue I guess.

But my point remains that comparing an iWatch to Glass is just ridiculous. You're comparing a watch which has existed for centuries, and is part of modern attire with something that's completely experimental. While I'd love for Glass to succeed, we don't know whether it will or not, or whether it will even take off. It could remain a niche market like bluetooth headsets.

I guess I'm just trying to understand the uses beyond a growl like system. If they do add a mic you could do short voice responses I guess, but it still seems very limited, and we all know it's not going to be cheap.

Actually, that has me thinking. I know you can set specific ring tones for certain contacts when they call, but we should be able to set a specific ring/alert for any kind of communication received by a certain contact.

I think the opportunities are limitless, but in terms of what we can execute today, it's a growl like solution. I think we can do it quite well too. Voice responses, etc. could come next, but I don't see it as a gen 1 device feature.

As for your second paragraph, you can set specific alert tones on an app-to-app basis no? Like my Gmail can give me a certain ringtone, while my Gtalk gives me another. Exchange mail gives me yet another ringtone. I guess it would be up to the watch to be able to process alerts, meaning it needs to be able to tie into apps. LightFlow is an example of an app that has tied into dozens of Android apps and can intercept their notifications and convert them into a standard notification.

Indeed it is, which is why I was surprised to see you calling out Android copy cats when we don't know what functionality the iWatch will have.

I think he's rallying against a certain type of copycats, and that is the ones who copy after seeing success of another. I think what we've seen is Android jump in after Apple after seeing Apple's reception. You could argue Apple copies too in the sense that it stole the clock for the iPad, multitouch gestures, Siri, etc, but all these features were relatively new at the time, and they didn't take off until Apple embraced them. So when you compare Apple stealing Samsung's MP3 player design and Samsung stealing Apple's iOS icons and look in the Galaxy S phones, you can instantly tell the difference.

Last edited: