How interested would you be in buying an iWatch?

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by lothar, Feb 19, 2013.

?

How interested would you be in buying an iWatch?

1. Shut up and take my money...I want one.

2. Very interested.

3. Not interested because I already have a watch.

4. I don't do watches.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. smartpatrol

smartpatrol Senior member

I read a huge blog post about all the possibilities of an iWatch. In addition to everything mentioned here, there was another really interesting possibility:

When your iPhone is in close proximity to the iWatch, you won't have to enter your PIN to unlock the phone. It would reset the next time your iWatch is unlatched.

That plus heart rate monitor/accelerometer/pedometer, not having to take your phone out of your pocket to view notifications/see who's calling, and a sexy design, could make for a pretty compelling product.

I think the idea of having to take your phone out of your pocket just to see who's calling might seem antiquated in a few years from now.

2. SunnyD

SunnyD Belgian Waffler

I'd be interested if it ran Android, replaced the need for a phone (via bluetooth to a paired device like Google Glasses/BT Headset), and was also big enough to be functional on it's own on my wrist. Otherwise, no thanks.

3. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

On a related note.
    I'm surprised that there seems to be so many people interested in monitoring their blood pressure and heartrate all the time.

4. TuxDave

TuxDave Lifer

Maybe a bluetooth connection to a glucose monitor could be useful.

5. QueBert

QueBert Lifer

don't really care about all the time, but when I jog I like to check my heart rate. My current watch has HRM but this could end up replacing if Apple does it right.

6. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

Why though? I have friends that are excessively sporty (they run ironman events and stuff) and they use them occasionally but even they don't use them that often.

You should be able to tell if you're working hard without monitoring your pulse constantly.

7. QueBert

QueBert Lifer

When I do my DVD workout I like to make sure I keep my hear rate high enough. Without a HRM I tend to think I'm working out hard when I'm not pushing myself nearly enough. My workouts about an hour and I like to stay 170-180 it, I notice when I don't monitor it I fall somewhere around 150-160. HR makes tracking calories burned more accurate, and the difference between 160 and 180bpm for an hour workout's pretty big.

HRM's a bit overkill maybe, but it's nice data to have access too.

#82 QueBert, Feb 21, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  8. Kaido

Kaido Lifer

I think it's like the Weather app on smartphones...who really cares enough to check the weather every time they open their phone? At most you grab a jacket or umbrella on your way out the front door, problem solved :biggrin:

9. Kaido

Kaido Lifer

Now THERE'S a good idea :thumbsup:

10. TheStu

TheStu Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets

Imagine how antiquated it will be to pull out your phone just to check the time! Now that companies have invented a way to display the time on your wrist, we're saved from that problem!

(I kid, obviously)

I am very interested to see where we go with all these various interconnected technologies, and to see the push back from various parties. Right now we are just adorning ourselves with technology, but what about when we start 'injecting' ourselves with it?

11. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

You're probably right there.

Smartphones are still a bit of a novelty I suppose and a lot of the things we use them for is because we can use them for it rather than we need to use them for it.

12. Aikouka

Aikouka Lifer

As an iPhone user, I think it's an interesting idea because I assume that it would at least have some integration with Apple's iOS-based devices. However, we know absolutely nothing about it. With a list of features (or a subset of them), I could at least deem whether I would (possibly) find the device useful. However, I would probably determine how much that convenience would be worth to me.

One big thing for me is that I don't wear watches, but I'm not opposed to wearing one.

13. KeithTalent

KeithTalent Administrator<br>Elite Member<br>Lifer
    Administrator

I've never bothered to monitor my heart rate, but it is something I've thought about and part of the reason I am thinking of getting that Basis watch. I would happily give Nike more of my money for a Fuel Band, or a new device which tracks all of these things, since I love their running app and the Nike+ Kinect Training is fantastic, but since they seem to be in bed with Apple, not all of their stuff is compatible with my phone, so I will have to find something else...for now anyway. :\

KT

14. Midwayman

Midwayman Diamond Member

Watches are man-jewelry. I can't imagine a smart watch with enough features to balance the downsides of being ugly, and having to constantly charge the damn thing. I'd rather just stick with my Omega Seamaster Pro.

15. lothar

lothar Diamond Member

What then personally stops you from wearing a watch today if you're not opposed to wearing one?

Or are you simply just stating a "I don't wear watches because I don't see a point to them, but I support other people's right to wear watches" kinda speech? If it's this, then I don't see the point in making such a statement. No one here is calling for watches to be banned or outlawed.

16. lothar

lothar Diamond Member

You won't see Nike+ integration with Android for a while because Timothy Cook sits on Nike's Board of Directors.
    http://www.cultofandroid.com/22344/has-tim-cook-killed-nike-fuelbands-android-future/

17. lothar

lothar Diamond Member

Possible conflict of interest for Tim Cook?

http://www.businessinsider.com/tim-cooks-nike-board-seat-will-be-a-conflict-for-the-iwatch-2013-2

18. Mopetar

Mopetar Diamond Member

One would hope he would have the good sense to excuse himself from any discussion involving such products at board meetings. All of that assumes that Apple is actually making a watch or that Cook hasn't already told Nike that they're planning on making a watch, and wouldn't it be great if it featured Nike's app. In which case it would be a moot point.

19. QueBert

QueBert Lifer

If the watch ends up running iOS, anyone could just downloaded the Nike+ app from the App Store. So to me it would make sense for Nike to get on board here. I don't see this watch being like the Fuel Band. That's a very limited device that serves 1 purpose. This watch could turn out to be an iOS device that does tons of shit. I don't see Nike ever turning the Fuelband into anything more than a workout device.

20. TheStu

TheStu Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets

I don't wear watches because I have a cell phone. And a watch on my wrist makes it harder for me to go into my pocket to get stuff.

21. KeithTalent

KeithTalent Administrator<br>Elite Member<br>Lifer
    Administrator

22. Aganazer

Aganazer Member

I don't see the appeal. Everyone has been consolidating devices, not adding new ones.

I neither need nor want any of these things now that I have a smartphone:
    - Digital camera
    - GPS navigation
    - Alarm Clock
    - Watch
    - Calculator
    - Compass
    - Hand held gaming system
    - MP3 player
    - Bar code scanner (for work)
    - Flashlight (unless I'm camping)

It really doesn't matter how good a compass someone makes, I won't buy it, even if its an iCompass with a retina display, WiFi, NFC, and LTE.

23. Zaap

Zaap Diamond Member

Because just like most of the functions of my phone: I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

The functions that make the most sense on a watch, don't necessarily make the most sense on a phone- for example, I personally don't want a cellphone with me when I work out or jog.

Sure, a phone has compass, GPS, pedometer/fitness features- but it does one no good if you don't have it with you, or forget to use them. A watch can be with you everywhere, and be constantly monitoring whatever you want.

Anyway, it'd have to be a game-changer with tons of logical function, looking as sleek and non-goofy as possible, for a price that makes sense. $599 for Dick Tracy's iPod will fail.

24. Whiskey16

Whiskey16 Golden Member

lothar, thank you for already recognising the poll failure, but I'll still add in my voice along with those critiquing there is not the basic option of "not interested in this product." -- regardless if one already has a watch or not.

You presented this as though a mysterious Apple product is to be the only alternative game to a regular watch.

I have functional WATCH, may be interested in a product that adds extra functions, yet I absolutely have no aspiration to purchase a product from Apple and its horrendous ecosystem.

25. QueBert

QueBert Lifer

I understand hating apple, but to say "horrendous ecosystem" I'm confused.

best apps of any mobile platform, by far.
    ginormous selection of awesome sauce accessories, some are a bit pricey but there are plenty of 3rd party ones that are no more expensive than Android accessories.
    When I owned Android devices I was still in an ecosystem, it was Google attempting to be like Apple which they failed at pretty horribly. And when I went to a WP 7 device the ecosystem changed, as it does with every platform. Out of curiosity what exactly makes Apple's ecosystem so bad? If Apples is bad that makes everyone else's even worse. Since my venture with Windows Mobile 6, I have been "stuck" in every ecosystem, there wasn't a single one where when I switched to a different platform I could take my apps with me.

as far as Ecosystem's go Apple absolutely nailed it.

*shrug* that's just my opinion though.

#100 QueBert, Feb 22, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2013