How hard is it to bartend?

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
Ive been also considering trying to get a job as a bartender. I have no previous experience and I'd still need to learn about how to make a lot of different drinks. Are most bars or resturants willing to train on the job? What could you make a night in tips?

screw3d

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I'm guessing you'll need one hell of a patience to deals with a bunch of drunk jerks?

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
Originally posted by: screw3d
I'm guessing you'll need one hell of a patience to deals with a bunch of drunk jerks?

for some decent $$$ ill put up with it

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
:music:
I learned a Red Snapper, Kamikazi, Long Island Iced Tea
Black Russian, Fuzzy Navel, and a Sex on the Beach!
Bloody Mary, Margarita, SLOE! GIN! FIZZ!
Learn to make 'em all on the rocks with a twist
There's a school to attend that I highly recommend
You call 1 800 BARTEND!
:music:

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Its not hard.

It is however difficult to be good at it. You need lots of practice. At a crowded place you can make a lot of dough in tips.

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: spidey07
Its not hard.

It is however difficult to be good at it. You need lots of practice. At a crowded place you can make a lot of dough in tips.

What he said. I always found it a fun job. Drunk chicks are one of America's most precious natural resources.

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
depending on the quality.

there are bartenders that dont know to make any drinks..

and there are bartenders who know what they are doing.

miri

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Gobadgrs
Ive been also considering trying to get a job as a bartender. I have no previous experience and I'd still need to learn about how to make a lot of different drinks. Are most bars or resturants willing to train on the job? What could you make a night in tips?

If you have no experience bartending there is no chance you will get a job starting as a bartender in a decent establishment. Unless your female and really hot. You have to start off as a barback or a waiter. Bartending is a senior position that a lot of waiters and barbacks move into. You just cant come off the street with 0 bartending experience and expect to get a job infront of all the waiters and barbacks that work there that are waiting for bartending positions to open up.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
And a little tip for everybody.

tip your bartender extremely well and you'll drink for free the rest of the night.

Poulsonator

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2002
"I see America drinking the fabulous cocktails I make.
America's getting stinking on something I stir or shake.

The Sex on the Beach, the schnapps made from peach,
The Velvet Hammer, the Alabama Slammer.

I make things with juice and froth,
The Pink Squirrel, the Three-Toed Sloth.

I make drinks so sweet and snazzy,
The Iced Tea, the Kamikaze.

The Orgasm, the Death Spasm,
The Singapore Sling, the Ding-a-Ling.

America, you're just devoted,
to every flavor I've got.

But if you want to get loaded,
Why don't you just order a shot!"

miri

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2003
Originally posted by: BigJ
Very difficult to be a good bartender.

Pretty easy just to get certified.

Certified? What is that. Is that that 2 week thing you see on tv commericals? Ive never met a bartender that went to one of those.

miri

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2003
Originally posted by: spidey07
you need a license.

The establisment needs a license to sell alcohol. Bartenders do not need to be licensed, at least not in my state, Virginia.

JoPh

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002
invest in bartending school. ive always wanted to go just for fun. dont drink a lot. but i enjoy making drinks. its fun.

i make a wicked cosmo.

phreakah

Platinum Member
Feb 9, 2002
Originally posted by: JoPh
invest in bartending school. ive always wanted to go just for fun. dont drink a lot. but i enjoy making drinks. its fun.

i make a wicked cosmo.

any idea how much the average bartending school costs?

JoPh

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002
Originally posted by: phreakah
Originally posted by: JoPh

i make a wicked cosmo.

any idea how much the average bartending school costs?

no idea. never looked into prices.

mdchesne

Banned
Feb 27, 2005
For your noob experience: http://www.webtender.com/
you have no previous experience? forget it then. you'd just be a bumbling bartended (the worst kind). like putting a noob as the pilot of the only BF2 helicopter left.

have you ever mixed a drink before? ever even drank? Know the terminology? whats a granny? whats a black and tan? Whats a mother-in-law? Here, without googling, tell me how to pour a white russian. or a dry matrini. or an easy one: scotch on the rocks. you know what rocks are? How do you shake? Whats a highball glass? how is the salt on the margarita glass put on? Whats Sour Mix? How do you compare a jigger to an ounce, and an ounce to a shot?

mitmot

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2005
Originally posted by: mdchesne
you have no previous experience? forget it then. you'd just be a bumbling bartended (the worst kind). like putting a noob as the pilot of the only BF2 helicopter left.

have you ever mixed a drink before? ever even drank? Know the terminology? whats a granny? whats a black and tan? Whats a mother-on-law? Here, without googling, tell me how to pour a white russian. or a dry matrini. or an easy one: scotch on the rocks. you know what rocks are? How do you shake? Whats a highball glass? how is the salt on the margarita glass put on? Whats Sour Mix? How do you compare a jigger to an ounce, and an ounce to a shot?

*raises white flag*