How Gitmo hurt us. North Korea: "We are not Guantanamo"

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Sure North Korea is not gitmo. Those prisoners in North Korean gulags would love to get out of North Korea and make it to gitmo.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Gitmo would be like staying in a Four Seasons compared to daily life in NK.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: K1052
Gitmo would be like staying in a Four Seasons compared to daily life in NK.

Starving to death isn't good enough for the average citizen?

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
What do you suggest we do with these terrorists then?

One reason for keeping them at Gitmo is that it is not on US soil and they hopped to keep these guys from filing endless motions in civilian courts.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
No one knows how the reporters are being treated. Maybe better or maybe worse. Who can say?

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: JohnnyGage
They're right, they are not Gitmo. More like, Auschwitz.

Well, it'd be a lot easier to pressure them if we didn't have gitmo on our record

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Can't we just starve them slowly, in total isolation? Why am I paying keep these animals alive?

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Phokus

Well, it'd be a lot easier to pressure them if we didn't have gitmo on our record
Give me a fucking break dude.

NK is a country where innocent people starve to death because of their governments policies and you are talking about how Gitmo is a stain on our record??

Are you that stupid??

The North Korean government estimates that 3 million of its own citizens died due to famine. 3 million!!!!!!!!!!!!

When the US allows 10% of its population to die because of starvation then get back to me about 'our record.'

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
lol Phokus finally shows his true colors. Phokus....Phok us....Phok US....Fuck USA. Yea, we get it.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

NK is a country where innocent people starve to death because of their governments policies and you are talking about how Gitmo is a stain on our record??

Are you that stupid??

The North Korean government estimates that 3 million of its own citizens died due to famine. 3 million!!!!!!!!!!!!

When the US allows 10% of its population to die because of starvation then get back to me about 'our record.'

That's the problem with you conservatives, you always go, 'well, they're worse than we are!!!' to try to deflect any blame we have. You can justify a lot of evil that way. That's why i call you guys the scum of the earth.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: cubby1223
http://digbysblog.blogspot.com...-by-digby-im-sure.html

Not defending North Korea in the least, but this is an example of how Gitmo has hurt us. It's hard to be Reagan's 'shining city on a hill' when we have this black mark on our face.

You're right, North Korea is better than the USA. Perhaps you'd like to take a holiday there? Please do :p

Of course that's not what i said in any way shape or form.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

Are you that stupid??

That's the problem with you conservatives, you always go, 'well, they're worse than we are!!!' to try to deflect any blame we have. You can justify a lot of evil that way. That's why i call you guys the scum of the earth.

And it is because of the scum that you have the freedom to call them that.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Common Courtesy

You're going to have to explain that one. Conservatives are responsible for our freedom?

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: eskimospy

You're going to have to explain that one. Conservatives are responsible for our freedom?

Of course, just look at terri schiavo, torture, the iraq war, warrantless wiretapping, destruction of the constitution, expansion of executive power etc. etc.

The conservative definition of 'freedom!'

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
What do you suggest we do with these terrorists then?

One reason for keeping them at Gitmo is that it is not on US soil and they hopped to keep these guys from filing endless motions in civilian courts.

They don't have to be on US soil to be under 'effective control' of the US.

As far as NK is concerned the more they wish to be relevant the more we should ignore them.

As stoopid as their claims there is a useless element of truth which is severely out-weighed by their own hypocrisy. Russia and China IMO are even growing tired of 'Mental E' Ill.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004

Of course, just look at terri schiavo, torture, the iraq war, warrantless wiretapping, destruction of the constitution, expansion of executive power etc. etc.

But on the other side, the Democrats gave us Phokus.

Comparatively speaking, I'm going with the conservatives for the win here. :D

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: cubby1223

But on the other side, the Democrats gave us Phokus.

Comparatively speaking, I'm going with the conservatives for the win here. :D

I bet i could change your mind with a few waterboarding sessions :D

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006

The bolded are all being done under Obama as well.

And now we have the President firing CEOs as well. The government interference into private companies we are now seeing has the potential to have a much worse effect on us as a country than any Bush did.

What is happening at Chrysler is very troubling. The government is essentially stealing the assets of bonded debt holders and giving them to the UAW, Fiat etc. And when some bond holders objected to the deal the government threatened and harassed them.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

The bolded are all being done under Obama as well.

And now we have the President firing CEOs as well. The government interference into private companies we are now seeing has the potential to have a much worse effect on us as a country than any Bush did.

What is happening at Chrysler is very troubling. The government is essentially stealing the assets of bonded debt holders and giving them to the UAW, Fiat etc. And when some bond holders objected to the deal the government threatened and harassed them.

Give me a break. The Iraq war is not 'being done' under Obama. I've heard this many times and it's just a convenient deflection to try and spread around responsibility for that disaster. If Obama had ordered all the troops home on day 1 conservatives would have shrieked that he was selling out the country and being irresponsible. Now that he's responsibly withdrawing our troops, he's somehow responsible for Iraq too. Bullshit.

The warrantless wiretapping done under Bush was bad and 'constitution destroying' because he was illegally ignoring federal law to spy on Americans without warrants. Sadly enough the Congress was so spineless as to legalize much of what he was doing (and he appears to have later discontinued the worst and least supportable programs). So no, what Obama is doing in that regard has NOTHING to do with what Bush did.