How fattening are bananas?

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
if someone were to eat bannanas breakfast, lunch and supper, about 2 or 3 per meal for about 3 weeks, would they gain weight or lose weight?

aren't bananas like the perfect food?

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
hmm, i'd better watch that potassium thing. my youngest (3 yr old son) will eat 1 to 2 bananas a day. he loves them.

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
Are the stringy things that peel off the sides edible? Not the peel, it's like the inseam of the banana or something.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: PlatinumGold
hmm, i'd better watch that potassium thing. my youngest (3 yr old son) will eat 1 to 2 bananas a day. he loves them.
I wouldn't worry about that, one baked potato has as much potassium as 2 bananas. But if somebody seriously ate just bananas for every meal, they'd have some problems!

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I am pretty sure you could eat bananas all day every day and you would be hard pressed to gain weight.

Never knew about the potassium thing. Rather that there was a condition if you're getting too much.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Quit with this carb crap, its a fvcking fad, the best diet is a balanced diet, while keeping your caloric intake in check. A banana has 90 calories. 270x3x21=17010 or 810 calories a day. Simple math would tell you, you'd be losing atleast 2 pounds a week, more if you are over 250. You would be starving your body.

All this "carb free" crap and "net carb" crap is just that CRAP. Its marketing, and they've have been successful apparently.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: PlatinumGold

1 to 2 bananas a day is okay. A half dozen a day would not be.

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
Originally posted by: digitalsm
Quit with this carb crap, its a fvcking fad, the best diet is a balanced diet, while keeping your caloric intake in check. A banana has 90 calories. 270x3x21=17010 or 810 calories a day. Simple math would tell you, you'd be losing atleast 2 pounds a week, more if you are over 250. You would be starving your body.

All this "carb free" crap and "net carb" crap is just that CRAP. Its marketing, and they've have been successful apparently.

Just answering his question. If you like bananas, go ahead and eat them. I'm not stopping you.

BTW, all calories are NOT created equal.

NFactor

Sep 21, 2003
Quit with this carb crap, its a fvcking fad, the best diet is a balanced diet, while keeping your caloric intake in check. A banana has 90 calories. 270x3x21=17010 or 810 calories a day. Simple math would tell you, you'd be losing atleast 2 pounds a week, more if you are over 250. You would be starving your body. All this "carb free" crap and "net carb" crap is just that CRAP. Its marketing, and they've have been successful apparently.

This is so true. If you want to loose weight eat a little less, and run a little more, to put it mildly. Its really quite simple. This low carb stuff really just pisses me off.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: Riprorin

Just answering his question. If you like bananas, go ahead and eat them. I'm not stopping you.

Im aware of that, but the whole net carb, no carb, crap is CRAP. Its a marketing gimic. Most of these products contain sugar liqour, or other things that are extremely high in calories, even if they are low in carbs or "net carbs".

I lost alot of weight with just a balanced diet, and moderate excercise. Theres no need to limit carbs if you have a balanced diet.

ShOcKwAvE827

Jul 28, 2001
If you're on certain blood pressure meds, you're not allowed to eat any bananas. As werk said, hyperkalemia. Causes all sorts of nerve transduction problems including in your heart. But I don't think anyone is old enough here to be on hardcore meds.

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
Diets of different compositions of fat, protein, and carbohydrates provide differing rates of weight loss.

One study showed showed that on a 1,000 calorie diet, those who ate 90% protein or 90% fat lost weight (0.6 pound and 0.9 pound per day), while those who ate 90% carbohydrate did not lose any weight, but gained a little.

It would behoove you to do a little research rather than talking about something you clearly know nothing about.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Diets of different compositions of fat, protein, and carbohydrates provide differing rates of weight loss.

One study showed showed that on a 1,000 calorie diet, those who ate 90% protein or 90% fat lost weight (0.6 pound and 0.9 pound per day), while those who ate 90% carbohydrate did not lose any weight, but gained a little.

It would behoove you to do a little research rather than talking about something you clearly know nothing about.

Are you dense? I said balanced diet. ANYONE that eats 90% protien or 90% carbs, should educate themselves. Doing that is not healthy nor is eating anything less than 1400 calories.

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000

Im aware of that, but the whole net carb, no carb, crap is CRAP. Its a marketing gimic. Most of these products contain sugar liqour, or other things that are extremely high in calories, even if they are low in carbs or "net carbs".

I lost alot of weight with just a balanced diet, and moderate excercise. Theres no need to limit carbs if you have a balanced diet.

A lot of low carb products are crap but a low carb diet composed of healthy food isn't.