Question How fast will the 3080Ti sell out?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Given the market conditions I might be silly enough to actually try for a $1000+ GPU; something I never thought I'd do. So, what are the chances of a real human relying on their fleshy F5 finger getting a 3080Ti? I expect that most or all of the cards are already spoken for by mining firms via backdoor deals with distributors, and the few cards that slipped through the cracks will be fought over by bots and armies of F5 fingers on release day. So, I estimate the probability of a regular gamer getting an RTX 3080Ti to be right around 0.25% chance. This takes into account the likely number of gamers vs the likely number of cards that haven't already been purchased by miners ahead of the card's release. Your thoughts?

I predict the card goes from "coming soon" straight to "out of stock" with no period of time between.

Reactions: CP5670

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
If they keep this up they’re gonna be an effen joke amongst consumers... 3080ti? WHO CARES? about a “product” they have no chance of obtaining outside of paying 3x the listed price. If AT reviews this card without this disclaimer in the intro I am boycotting the video card section...

this is the only time where buying earily has actually saved me money.
My 3090 since release has increased MSRP of about 200 dollars.

Reactions: Tlh97 and cytg111

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I think everyone would be far more surprised if AT reviewed this card at all.

- Not to go wildly off topic, but I did find it interesting that the AT Call for Writer's 2021 did have a position for GPUs. Looks like AT does want to continue to do GPU reviews, but Ryan Smith might be dealing with his own stuff or be over it at this point.

Whatever comes of it, I just hope they find someone quality. RS' deep dives and reviews were rock solid, which is likely why this running joke hurts so much.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I've seen people simply blow off the lack of GPUs as no big deal, as if it won't effect anything. How long will it take before people stop caring about hardware reviews in general? Without a GPU, none of the other stuff even matters for most of the people who typically read about PC tech. Yeah you got those who care more about CPU for various workloads, networking and all that, but the GPU is the heart of the entertainment PC and the entire industry that surrounds it. Maybe we'll get to find out.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Good point. The main users of custom desktop PCs are gamers, and without video cards you might as well just go for prebuilts or laptops, or even consoles.

Nvidia is introducing a new mining limiter in this card and existing ones, let's see if that makes any difference.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Well, I'm hoping the mining limiter scares away enough miners to give us gamers a chance at a 3080Ti. If I can snag a founders at $1000, that should last me a long time. As silly as it sounds, I still have longevity concerns with only 12GB of ram on a card that powerful. Then again, all I play is Rocket League and one VR game, so there's that to consider as well. I just can't get into any of these newer games these days. I can't force myself to care anymore. Looking forward to the next Battlefield game though, but that's about it.

SO...why do you need to upgrade?

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
SO...why do you need to upgrade?

Usually the way it works is I get a fancy new GPU and it makes me want to test games on it and maybe discover something I like along the way. It's just an overall exciting experience that I look forward to, plus I'm looking forward to the new Battlefield game later this year. It could give me enough power to play some traditional PC games in VR mode, such as racing games and that star wars squadrons game. I haven't even tried those yet because I've read they lag like hell. I'm not interested in them enough to try them right now, but a new GPU sparks new interest and breathes new life into my gaming hobby. In short, my 1080Ti is good enough right now because it has to be.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I end up buying a bunch of the latest games too whenever I get a new video card. It's like I want to see what it's capable of.

SW Squadrons is amazing but is very demanding in VR. Even on a 3090, I have to play at medium-ish settings at 50% SS resolution to get a constant 90fps. It will need a 4090 or whatever the next card is to really work well.

Reactions: moonbogg

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
I've seen people simply blow off the lack of GPUs as no big deal, as if it won't effect anything. How long will it take before people stop caring about hardware reviews in general?

I haven't upgraded my GPU in a while and have been looking to do so, but even when I had no real desire to outside of general tech lust, I still read reviews because they're interesting to me.

This notion that people will stop caring is silly. People will still want a new GPU when getting one doesn't require camping out (digitally or physically) or paying twice MSRP (if lucky enough to find such a deal) and will go back to reading reviews when that's possible if they stopped.

I think you've convinced yourself that no one could possibly think any differently about this than you do, but I doubt that your concerns even represent a small minority of consumers in terms of belief or action.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
^ It depends on how long this goes on for. I'm convinced that if GPUs don't come back, it's going to wreck a lot of review/media companies.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
^ It depends on how long this goes on for. I'm convinced that if GPUs don't come back, it's going to wreck a lot of review/media companies.

Do you have any factual basis for that?

For a point of comparison I checked to see how many views the Gamer's Nexus reviews for the 2060 and 3060 cards had.

2060 review: 270k views
3060 review: 380k views

I'm sure that's hardly a full picture, but by the time the 3060 came out everyone knew that it wasn't going to be possible to get one so if there were some kind of general abandonment on the part of people who consume technology reviews, the data doesn't reflect that at all. Perhaps the one example I've chosen is an extreme outlier in terms of normal views, etc. but that'd almost have to be an enormous freak coincidence for there to be over a 30% increase in views for that one particular product when the overall trend it downwards. I'll try to make other comparisons later, but I don't think the data supports your hypothesis at all.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
People are still in "I can get a GPU" mode. Let a generation or two go by and see what happens to people's interest when they know they can't get a GPU. These are just little consumer products and when it comes to stuff like that people are less interested in things they can't buy. If GPUs go away why would anyone care about them anymore except for miners? Well there's my answer! All the review cites and youtube channels would simply convert to mining channels. Problem solved. I keep saying cites. I mean sites.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
sigh..

its not just GPU's now.
Its everything... PSU's are all near impossible to find greater then 850W in Platnium ranked that doesn't have some kind of mythical animal name stamped all over it.
Can i express the fustration it has been trying to get a 5000 series Ryzen CPU, especially the 5900X.
SSD's in large caps are getting impossible to get... and guess what... the last ME: Legendary was clocked @ 120GB + 11.4GB 0 day update.... SIGH...
Ram will probably get snatched up'd as well.
WTG on making us go to consoles.... if i could install cheat engine on my console, i would probably migrate to console until this entire mining thing blows over... or better yet, someone write code for a Console to mine instead please.

The only thing left on shelves will be the RGB cluttered stuff, as no one wants a mining farm to light up a room with dancing LED's 24/7, however even those are being scalped over heavily.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I've pretty well moved on from being a PC enthusiast. It's something I've done for so long, but the desire is just gone. Just two days ago, I unsubscribed from Newegg's promotional emails. I've received those things daily as far back as 2005 or so I think. I just couldn't take another "Shellshocker deal" of $5 off a $329 Ryzen 3700X or $10 off a $249 Ryzen 3600 this far into 2021.

I occasionally read an article on Tom's about Newegg shuffle prices, and the prices are absolutely insane. We all have our vices on what we spend our money on, but I just don't see doing regular PC upgrades like I used to do since around 1996-ish.

Reactions: SteveGrabowski

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
^ Samsung just said if the shortages keep up, they won't be able to make TVs. I know it's not just GPUs and I act like it is because that's where my personal interest is. I am really dying to know what the heck is going on with these chip shortages. What changed? Honestly, what is causing the chip shortage? It's hitting car manufacturers and everything.

@UsandThem
You know what? I think I'm right behind you. My interest is waning. It's partly because my first PC upgrade was a 486 variant 133mhz processor that my dad got me for my birthday, allowing me to play Duke Nukem 3D without lagging when barrels explode. I've been into this a long time and the most excitement was during the 90's and early 2000's.
I have to say though, I see a bright future for VR. I played a map last night that made me feel kind of like I did when I first saw Unreal with that amazing intro fly through and the incredible gameplay. This VR map was insanely detailed and was huge with tiny people running around. I was perched on top of a tall mountain, standing on a steel beam extending out over the edge as I laid waste to people far down below with a .50. So there are special experiences to be had, but they are rare. The hardware drives those experiences. I have some light left in me, but it's fading.

Last edited:

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
People are still in "I can get a GPU" mode. Let a generation or two go by and see what happens to people's interest when they know they can't get a GPU. These are just little consumer products and when it comes to stuff like that people are less interested in things they can't buy. If GPUs go away why would anyone care about them anymore except for miners? Well there's my answer! All the review cites and youtube channels would simply convert to mining channels. Problem solved. I keep saying cites. I mean sites.

I suspect that you're just making up excuses after the fact to try to justify your reasoning. Imagine I were to tell you that there were vampires living in your attic and you decided to give me the benefit of the doubt and actually check instead of just dismissing me as a complete nutter. After reporting that you didn't see any vampires in your attic, if I were to say "Well duh, that's because they're invisible!" would you honestly accept that reasoning?

Let me put it this way. Is there anything I could actually say to you to make you consider that you're possibly mistaken in your beliefs? If regardless of any amount of evidence I could produce to show that your assumptions are incorrect, etc. you just rationalize it all away after the fact then there's no real point in discussing this with you because you've already made up your mind and likely don't want to hear anything that contradicts your own conceptualization of reality.

Frankly I don't even care enough just so that I can be "right on the internet" because it's not really that much different than arguing with someone proclaiming that the world is going to end in two years. I probably can't say anything to dissuade them and the world is still going to be here in two years anyway. But frankly I shouldn't have to do any of that. You've done absolutely nothing to even suggest what you're saying is correct and the burden of proof is no your to support your claim, not for me or anyone else to refute it. At best you've stated an opinion, but I'm not sure why it's better than any one else's opinion or why I should put any more stake in it than any other similarly unsubstantiated personal belief.

Maybe you are actually correct and this is a real problem, but you've done absolutely nothing to demonstrate that it's anything beyond yet another opinion on the internet. If assuming you could buy a GPU right now would you prefer a review that recommends card A because the reviewer believes that it's really great and you'll have an amazing experience with it or a review that recommends card B because data shows that it performs better, consumes less power, etc. based on a pre-defined test methodology that wasn't just created on the spot in order to make that particular card look good?

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
I've running 10 year old hardware and I've been waiting a year for prices to fall. Honestly I'm like just a hair away from buying a pre-built.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
^ whoa, slow down. Of course it's my opinion. I'm just talking here. I'm not going to conduct a research project on it or anything.
Where's your thesis submission?!?! :p

bc7d998ddd37ece9696185b2b4c51fcd.gif

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Where's your thesis submission?!?! :p

bc7d998ddd37ece9696185b2b4c51fcd.gif

also since it has AMD reference, you also need a Fulbright scholar qualification.
Because only qualified educated people are allowed to express opinions about PC Parts. :cool:
(Heavy Sarcasm, with a incredible amount of salt dished out from Salt Bae himself)

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Hah, yeah. If people were required to post PROOF and EVIDENCE and SOURCES for everything they said, not only would life be an insufferable chore, but forums would definitely die...in like 5 minutes they'd be almost as dead as our chances of buying a GPU. I only state facts by the way.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Hah, yeah. If people were required to post PROOF and EVIDENCE and SOURCES for everything they said, not only would life be an insufferable chore, but forums would definitely die...in like 5 minutes they'd be almost as dead as our chances of buying a GPU. I only state facts by the way.

NAH.. i would macro TLDR; so i can post that at every post i read except when moderating... because well, i am a serious moderator when my hat is on. :)

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
I've running 10 year old hardware and I've been waiting a year for prices to fall. Honestly I'm like just a hair away from buying a pre-built.
If this goes on long enough, that's how it will most likely end up for enthusiasts. Buying prebuilts, not necessarily to use the prebuilt as it comes, or just ripping out the GPU. Likely as raiding multiple key components and combining with your already existing parts or items not likely offered by OEMs. If I had of known back in November I'd still be without a 5950X, I would have simply waited for the cheapest prebuilt I could find with a 5950X and a 68/6900XT or 3080/90. Stripped those, maybe one or two other things of particular interest and parted out everything else on eBay. Under a situation like that if it keeps up I'll still end up with the PC I want it will just slow down my overall upgrade cycles as I'll have to wait for multiple components to be "outdated" rather than upgrade pieces at a time to minimize what I'm forced to sell.

At this exact moment I'm still looking for a 5950X at MSRP, but I'm also still waiting on my 6900XT waterblock that I was supposed to receive back at the end of March (why are these things also unobtanium?). Once I receive the waterblock I'll likely cave and buy the 5950X at whatever the actual available going rate is as I don't want to tear down the loop yet another time.

Last edited:

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
At this exact moment I'm still looking for a 5950X at MSRP, but I'm also still waiting on my 6900XT waterblock that I was supposed to receive back at the end of March (why are these things also unobtanium?).

wow you sound like me when i was a broken record.
I got harrassed by all my friends on why my 3090 was sitting sealed in a box when i had no intensions of flipping it.
I told them i am going to BABY this card from day 0 with a waterblock.

So it sat almost 3 months unused until i could secure one.

AS for the 5900X.... im done, i given up and just accepted the 5800X. (well my brother did, he didn't really much care as it did me, but its not my PC.)
And thanks to Bittorrent creators, were gonna see a massive shortage on either used high cap Ram... (people trying to build that 64GBx8 so they can iRam that swap file for CHIA) not to mention kiss most of the 1TB + 2TB SSD SATA/nVME.

So what is going to be left to use gamers? Oh yeah.. RGB fans, as RGB is one thing miners will avoid like poison.