How does tom cruise do it?

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
Saw mav yesterday it was cash 20 for 2 @ ‘matinee with a large popcorn last move I saw was joker 2019 Tom’s 10 years older than me does Scientology make you level up?

Reactions: brianmanahan

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Saw mav yesterday it was cash 20 for 2 @ ‘matinee with a large popcorn last move I saw was joker 2019 Tom’s 10 years older than me does Scientology make you level up?

it's those thetans, he's chock full of them

confession: i have never seen top gun, or any mission impossible movies

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
it's those thetans, he's chock full of them

confession: i have never seen top gun, or any mission impossible movies
GF was all over me to see Top Gun, so we did. I have not seen any Mission Impossible movies. Edit: in my data it shows I did watch Fallout 3 years ago, was really impressed.

Tom's not just a Hollywood leading man. He insists on doing his own stunts. That's commitment. I have no opinion about the scientology stuff because I haven't paid any attention to it. If you haven't seen Jerry Maguire, do so.

Last edited:
Reactions: igor_kavinski

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Ah man, you're missing out! The Mission Impossible movies are SUPER fun!
I just checked my local library online. They seem to have most all of them but I don't see the first (1996). How come? Is the first one inferior?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
On the one hand I dislike Tom Cruise because of the whole Scientology thing. Being the celebrity face of a cult is morally-reprehensible.

On the other hand, I can't help but feel a certain grudging respect for the way he commits to his work - doing all that demanding and risky stunt work, most of all. He might not be the world's greatest actor (though I wouldn't say he was _bad_ at the craft of it, either), but you really can't fault his work ethic.

I also wonder if those two things are connected. Seems like a lot of celebs and actors who get into Scientology have some personal demon they are trying to escape by buying into all that weird nonsense - and maybe that's also what makes him throw himself into his work with such intensity?

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
While I want to loathe him I just can't. He makes very entertaining movies. Except "Legend". I abhor that movie. He is just so bad in it. BUT, Tim Currie is awesome in it!
I honestly never saw Top Gun until very recently (and I am 55), 80s movies were just not my thing. The movie was very meh but I will watch the new TG when it hits the streaming circuit.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Isn't that a question you should ask your library?
Ah, but I can't expect them to answer my question: is it inferior to the others? I want to know if I'm missing out if I don't start with the original 1996 movie or if I'd best skip it. They aren't apt to tell me, but people here likely can.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I don't think so. You don't usually get sequels unless the first one is decent.
Uh, OK. But the glaring absence of it in their collection made me wonder. Not being on Netflix or other streaming services (and having just cancelled my Prime) finding the original will be a challenge... maybe ebay.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Uh, OK. But the glaring absence of it in their collection made me wonder. Not being on Netflix or other streaming services (and having just cancelled my Prime) finding the original will be a challenge... maybe ebay.
Libraries routinely purge older titles to make room for new stuff. Between Citizen Kane and MI, they'll ditch MI.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Actually, looking closely, the library does have all 6. They listed the 1996 release as 2006 because it was rereleased then.

Then again it looks like only Rogue Nation is BR, I can get the whole series in BR on ebay for around $30. I might do that.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'm seeing some Blu-ray versions of the Mission Impossible 6 movie series offered at Ebay with the digital code, digital copy (evidently same thing) removed, but they include the unwatched BR discs. These are discounted a few bucks. What is that about? What is a digital copy/digital code?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I'm seeing some Blu-ray versions of the Mission Impossible 6 movie series offered at Ebay with the digital code, digital copy (evidently same thing) removed, but they include the unwatched BR discs. These are discounted a few bucks. What is that about? What is a digital copy/digital code?
That's something you put into a website so you can download an .MP4 or whatever of the movie. They often expire within a year or two of the film being released on disc anyway (the codes, not the digital copies themselves)

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

Err yea, if it is not new, it should not be sold as new.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
That's something you put into a website so you can download an .MP4 or whatever of the movie. They often expire within a year or two of the film being released on disc anyway (the codes, not the digital copies themselves)
Well, don't know why I'd want the .MP4 if I have the BR disk. Is there a reason I would/could? Is the .MP4 superior to the BR disc in any way?

Edit: Anyway, having no desire for the .MP4 I just bought a never used set of the BR discs. Basically discounted $5 because the codes were removed. Looking in my movie data I see that I watched Fallout in April 2019 and was quite impressed. I'm pretty sure I haven't seen the others. There's 4K for these but 3x the price. I have 4K displays but typically watch from a distance that wouldn't do 4K justice anyway.

Last edited:

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Well, don't know why I'd want the .MP4 if I have the BR disk. Is there a reason I would/could? Is the .MP4 superior to the BR disc in any way?
I wondered the same thing. I guess i assumed that people want to watch movies on-the-go so would want a digital version instead of carrying around a disc. And probably it's easier to D/L a version instead of ripping for most people. I wouldn't imagine it being superior to the disc though, as far as just watching it.

As far as 'how does Tom Cruise do it?'
He didn't get sucked into posting on ATOT so he has a lot more time to hone his craft.

• Haha

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I wondered the same thing. I guess i assumed that people want to watch movies on-the-go so would want a digital version instead of carrying around a disc. And probably it's easier to D/L a version instead of ripping for most people. I wouldn't imagine it being superior to the disc though, as far as just watching it.

As far as 'how does Tom Cruise do it?'
He didn't get sucked into posting on ATOT so he has a lot more time to hone his craft.
A bit of research today revealed that .MP4 is a superior format but actually inferior to DVD! So, the Blu-ray version of this has got to be miles better. The 4K would be best but not worth paying 3x as much for me. I'd probably barely notice a difference from the Blu-ray using my system. That is unless I watch from my kitchen sitting in a chair. I'll do that for The Piano, which I just bought in 4K, but I'm not sitting through 6 MI movies in my kitchen! Besides, the sound in my bedroom is superior. I may use earbuds (my usual) but I watched Fallout with the stereo (the DVD) and the sound was fantastic (say my notes from 2019).

Another BIG reason to like the BR disks is the extras. I've never done Netflix and did almost no video on Prime when I had it, partly because you don't get the extras. The difference is like going into a national park with maps and guides versus just driving in not knowing anything, IMO.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Ah, but I can't expect them to answer my question: is it inferior to the others? I want to know if I'm missing out if I don't start with the original 1996 movie or if I'd best skip it. They aren't apt to tell me, but people here likely can.

I think you could watch them in a random order and not lose anything in the process. The first two movies (maybe the third, can't remember) strike a completely different tone than the rest. The first film is deadly serious while being intentionally cheesy due to the source material (and IMO works reasonably well). The second is just bad: Deadly serious, possibly representing Tom Cruise at the height of his state of up-his-own-ass, including slo-mo action scenes and flowing hair. At some point in the later films IMO they realised that if they were going to keep churning these out then they needed more humour (and I think Tom Cruise matured a bit and realised that his acting ability is not going to set the world alight and just to keep doing what he's reasonably decent at). The entire series is very stereotypical "Tom Cruise movie", ie. borderline superhuman protagonist, look how great he is, good guys win and bad guys lose.

MI6 IIRC even has a five-minute long Tom Cruise love-in where the other characters tell someone how awesome and self-sacrificing his character is while he stares insightfully into the sunset.

They're action flicks. I'd file them in the same category as Riddick movies, John Wick movies, etc.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I just checked my local library online. They seem to have most all of them but I don't see the first (1996). How come? Is the first one inferior?

The first one is actually the best one! I had to watch it like 3 times to figure it all out lol. The rest are action movies, sort of like the Jason Bourne series. First one is sort of a figure-it-out movie, like a Sherlock Holmes show.