How do you spell Hypocrite?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

maziwanka

Lifer
Jul 4, 2000
Originally posted by: lupi
As has been stated by several sources, supply and demand is not a primary reason for the current gas prices. Eliminating the tax immediately lowers the prices by 18.9c. Eliminating a part of a demand stream (the entire US government) is only hoping that the action to do so will effect the speculative element of the current cost structure.

A blazingly clear case of he knows better than you on how to spend your money.

it's a damn HOLIDAY - it's not the elimination entirely of the tax.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Oh noes, 18.4 vice 18.9, totally destroys my position.

Ok back to reality. Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't the fed gotten out of highway construction? If you want to defend the tax as a use item, then you should still be against it as this is a federal tax while consumption and repair occur at the state level.

Still leaves us with a hypocrite voting no one day and yes another.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Oh noes, 18.4 vice 18.9, totally destroys my position.

Ok back to reality. Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't the fed gotten out of highway construction? If you want to defend the tax as a use item, then you should still be against it as this is a federal tax while consumption and repair occur at the state level.

Still leaves us with a hypocrite voting no one day and yes another.

The only reality is that you've been wrong about everything you have argued in this thread, including your claims of hypocrisy.
A large bulk of state highway funding comes from the federal govt. Take that away and most projects won't get done.
There is a substantial policy difference in a brief tax "holiday" and suspension of oil appropriations to the national reserve. The former is just a shell game, perhaps saving us a few pennies at the pump but at the expense of road funding. The latter is a legitimate attempt to influence supply.

I think CC mod, by stating you can't be flamed, is just trying to make so you are completely ignored.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
They're out of highway construction, but they still fund highway construction...

The monies that they dole out to the states is the big carrot on the stick they use to get compliance with silly things, like speed limits in the 70's and 80's, like raising the drinking age to 21, stuff like that...

Very few major road projects in this country could be built without an infusion of federal dollars.

As for the gas tax...sure, saving 18 cents/gallon would help some of us, but why not go after the big causes of higher prices...the speculators and oil companies?

We hear all the time how the Oil Corporations' profit margin is only X cents/gallon, and that MAY be true on the finished product, but doesn't cover all the other profits they make along the way...sales of by-products of the refining process, sales to themselves (at market prices) of crude they themselves drill/pump from the ground, their own part in the oil speculation scam on the world.
Why, if demand is down as much as is claimed, do they continue to rack up record profits? Shouldn't those profits be going down if demand is down?

mxyzptlk

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2008
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Not when the stated reason for both is the same.

Obama (and about every economist on the planet) thinks that eliminating the gas tax will not alter the supply and demand dynamics that are leading to high gas prices and will instead lead to larger gas sales and more oil company profits at the expense of huge federal tax shortfalls that will have to be financed through more borrowing. Suspending purchases for the strategic petroleum reserve will alter the supply and demand dynamic (albeit only slightly), but more importantly will do so without blowing a huge hole in the budget or giving a large profit windfall to the oil companies through federal tax dollars.

Gee, I wonder how someone could support one of these and not the other. They must be a hypocrite.

wtf, it almost sounds like you've thought the issue through before coming to a well reasoned opinion... get outta here with that nonsense..

Originally posted by: neodyn55
Originally posted by: yllus
Why did you mention Senator Obama's middle name?

Because it draws attention to the topic. See: Fox News

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Oil companies profits are 7-10%. They cant hide profits anywhere else.

As a % they arent gouging anybody. They happen to deal in huge volumes.
And going after oil companies with a windfall profit will do what exactly to help the avg driver?

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: maziwanka
As has been stated by several sources, supply and demand is not a primary reason for the current gas prices. Eliminating the tax immediately lowers the prices by 18.9c. Eliminating a part of a demand stream (the entire US government) is only hoping that the action to do so will effect the speculative element of the current cost structure.

You mean when 2 of the 3 candidates recommended a gas tax holiday from memorial day to labor day they meant a tax holiday? Shocking.

maziwanka

Lifer
Jul 4, 2000
Originally posted by: maziwanka

You mean when 2 of the 3 candidates recommended a gas tax holiday from memorial day to labor day they meant a tax holiday? Shocking.

wow. did you not understand what i was talking about? a holiday, hiatus, temporary break - is it clear now? just like all the other posters are saying.

on a side note, do you see anything wrong with the economic stimulus money ppl are getting as issued by bush?

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Yes, two of the three candidates were showboating by pandering to gut emotions, despite the fact that EVERY economist from all political sides who have said anything about this agree that it's a piss poor idea for all the reasons others have posted, but which I doubt you comprehend.

On top of which you played your petty "Hussein" name game, proving only that you have nothing to say and far too many words to say it.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: BoomerD
They're out of highway construction, but they still fund highway construction...

The monies that they dole out to the states is the big carrot on the stick they use to get compliance with silly things, like speed limits in the 70's and 80's, like raising the drinking age to 21, stuff like that...

Very few major road projects in this country could be built without an infusion of federal dollars.

As for the gas tax...sure, saving 18 cents/gallon would help some of us, but why not go after the big causes of higher prices...the speculators and oil companies?

We hear all the time how the Oil Corporations' profit margin is only X cents/gallon, and that MAY be true on the finished product, but doesn't cover all the other profits they make along the way...sales of by-products of the refining process, sales to themselves (at market prices) of crude they themselves drill/pump from the ground, their own part in the oil speculation scam on the world.
Why, if demand is down as much as is claimed, do they continue to rack up record profits? Shouldn't those profits be going down if demand is down?

Don't know how the roads are for the rest of yall, but around here they suck serious ass. In no small part because a portion of my state is adjacent to DC so those projects are able to be funded via the good ole boy reach-a-round. If the state had full control of the tax revenue they could build based on need and not federal visibility.

The profits are a function of volume. I don't recall anyone saying demand has gone down, just that there is still a surplus of supply.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I 2nd for a lock. The OP is trolling to start and when called out he hasn't defended his original point whatsoever.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Harvey

Yes, two of the three candidates were showboating by pandering to gut emotions, despite the fact that EVERY economist from all political sides who have said anything about this agree that it's a piss poor idea for all the reasons others have posted, but which I doubt you comprehend.

On top of which you played your petty "Hussein" name game, proving only that you have nothing to say and far too many words to say it.

I recall people at one time saying EVERY scientist was predicting a doom and gloom global warming scenario coming. That didn't work out so well then either.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Thread summary: LOL.

Lupi, do you receive a paycheck from the Clintons? I can't think of any other good reason to continue spouting such uneducated nonsense... and your use of "Hussein" in the subtitle is just the icing on your idiot cake. wow.

GG.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Lupi,

Please link to one respectable economist who believes the Gas Tax Holiday is a good idea.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

I recall people at one time saying EVERY scientist was predicting a doom and gloom global warming scenario coming. That didn't work out so well then either.

No, that's THE MAJORITY of reputable scientists who know global warming is real and man made, not ALL, but since this is your thread, do you really want to side track the dumbass opinion you posted, here, by bringing up yet another of your uninformed, dumbass fantasies?

If you really want to stick with your dumbass topic in THIS thread, try answering palehorse74's question:

Can you post a link to one respectable economist who believes the Gas Tax Holiday is a good idea? :roll:

You can count to one, can't you? :p

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Robor
I 2nd for a lock. The OP is trolling to start and when called out he hasn't defended his original point whatsoever.

Lets see, did BHO state he opposed a tax holiday to reduce consumers cost stating it would be wortheless as the oil companies could just circumvant it by controlling supply....check

Did BHO vote to reduce federal government oil consumption to try and lower consumer price by affecting oil supply....check

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Lets see, did BHO state he opposed a tax holiday to reduce consumers cost stating it would be wortheless as the oil companies could just circumvant it by controlling supply....check

Did BHO vote to reduce federal government oil consumption to try and lower consumer price by affecting oil supply....check

Hey genius. You just restated your original point, you didn't defend anything. There *IS* a difference.

Oh, and please answer why you constantly feel the need to use the 'H' in Obama's name.

This thread is 100% trolling and should be locked

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

No, you are once again completely wrong. The argument against the gas tax holiday had nothing to do with the oil companies getting around it by controlling supply. Why would they even care? It was that there would be meager savings per individual and that the resulting increase in demand caused by lower gas prices would quickly bring the price back up to where it was... so we would have expensive gas AND a huge budget deficit.

What Obama is proposing attempts to lower the price of gas, but most importantly it does so without causing a gigantic budget problem. The impact on the budget for such a small gain was always his primary objection to the gas tax holiday. If you cannot see why what he is offering removes his primary objection and therefore explains how he could support one but not the other... you are being deliberately blind/trolling.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Logically if Big Oil is paying so much money in Tax Revenue from increased Gas Revenues, we should be able to afford a Gas Holiday. So since big oil is making so much money what do they do with all the extra taxes that the Federal Government is collecting?

How is that for a circular argument???

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Harvey

No, that's THE MAJORITY of reputable scientists who know global warming is real and man made, not ALL, but since this is your thread, do you really want to side track the dumbass opinion you posted, here, by bringing up yet another of your uninformed, dumbass fantasies?

If you really want to stick with your dumbass topic in THIS thread, try answering palehorse74's question:

Can you post a link to one respectable economist who believes the Gas Tax Holiday is a good idea? :roll:

You can count to one, can't you? :p

Sucks when you're wrong doesn't it.

Rio Rebel

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I am locking this thread.

There is no way I am going to leave Lupi with the green light to post a thread like this, and everyone under caution not to insult him. This is just asking to get someone penalized by responding to the bait.