How do you see yourself in retirement?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

S Freud

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
I hope that when I "retire" so to speak I am still capable of doing labor. My dream has always been to get the job I am going to school for and then in 30-40 years buy some property and raise beef cattle and do what I did growing up.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
old.. and rich. I plan on doing a line of work that is work, but I do plan on doing stuff that I enjoy so much that it's not a job for me. Yeah I know it's hard to find the perfect organization etc etc, but I'm only coming up on 20 and have enough time to work on all the finer details. I plan on being rich not necessarily by my own work/job, but through investments with my self-made millionaire grandpa, I think he knows what he's doing by now :D

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Summer in upper Michigan, around Petoskey and Harbor Springs.

Winter somewhere in Mexico.

evolvedbullet

Mar 11, 2006
Never ending the goal of finding natural enlightenment and traveling the world to get laid with one women for every nation on earth! (Quagmire has a good life goal!)

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
dead. heh.

but in a perfect world where I lived to a ripe old age... I'd like a cabana on the beach somewhere in mexico where I could just drink, listen to music, and write.

AmphibSailor

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2002
:beer: I've already retired once (military-24 years). Next thing on my list is to get my two teenagers thru school / college (2015) and then at the age of 52 I'll either continue working oversea until 60 or choose to retire somewhere cheaper like either the Philippines or somewhere in Central / South America.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
Originally posted by: Rogodin2
In 30 years we'll all be dead-I'll retire when I have my homestead finished.

Rogo

I knew it'd only be a matter of time until you mentioned that. Hippies....

:p

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: FlashG
No golf for me but I might get a part time job at Lowe?s or Home Depot for the discounts. I will probably do some type of community or church voluntary work as well.

Employee discount at Home Depot? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: PhoenixOrion
I've heard: 'buy a house on golf course and play everyday'

Me: 'surf during the summer months, snowboard during winter'

But then again I'm not sure if I'm still be able to do that....assuming at 67~70 years old coz I see myself workaholic through all these years.

rent 18yr old girls :Q

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: TallBill
If all goes well, I'll be fully retired at 45. I'll probably set up an exclusive gun range/club just for fun.
07 or e7?

Originally posted by: shinerburke
Summer in upper Michigan, around Petoskey and Harbor Springs.

Winter somewhere in Mexico.

thought u were banned?!

antyler

Golden Member
Aug 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Xyclone
Originally posted by: antyler
Somewhere such as. . .South Africa, maybe in Iraq, but then again I dont own a map so I could never figure out how to get to one of these remote destinations.

Where are you from... South Carolina? :laugh::p

lame attempt at parody about the miss teen usa thread.

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
Meh, I am a cynic so chances are 50% I will die from poor health. Of the remaining 50% there is a 25% chance civilisation will have ended, 25% chance I will be dead for any other reason than health, 10% I will retire unhappily and maybe 40% I will actually retire happily in my mid 50s.

Oh, as to how I see myself, assuming I am alive, I figure it will be a lot of traveling and I have always wanted to move to the country in Europe.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Plan on retiring at 45. I'm hopeful to have $2m in liquid investments along with $1m in 401K retirement funds which should turn into $2.5 million at age 62.

My plan,

retire in a podunk town in the eastern midwest out of the snowbelt and buy myslef a nice house and a "roadhouse". Owning my own bar & grill where the locals can have a decent lunch and at nighttime have drinks, dancing, and good food. I will definitely do BBQ and will add my own touches to the food.

I want to be a few hours to a big city so that I have access to shopping, culture, and an airport. I'd like to also be 6-8hrs from the gulf of Mexico for times when I want to see the Ocean.

I'm on pace to accomplish this but lots of hard work and a key promotion still needs to occur!

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I don't know yet, I've only been retired for two months.

Thinner maybe, I've lost 30 lbs.

NoShangriLa

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2006
My idea of retirement is to built a nice little house on a lake front with a garden to be lost in. And, a cabin & out door gazebo/bbq to entertain the extended family.

So far I have 5 acre with out a lake, and now I have to work on the $$$ for that little house & man made lake.

hiromizu

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Too young to even think about retiring. I don't think it'd ever happen. I'll do what I want to do until I'm dead.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Males in my family have a history of dying in their 50s. Given my family history, I'll likely be dead before I retire.