• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

How do you see yourself in retirement?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

S Freud

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
4,755
1
81
I hope that when I "retire" so to speak I am still capable of doing labor. My dream has always been to get the job I am going to school for and then in 30-40 years buy some property and raise beef cattle and do what I did growing up.
 

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
10,247
206
106
old.. and rich. I plan on doing a line of work that is work, but I do plan on doing stuff that I enjoy so much that it's not a job for me. Yeah I know it's hard to find the perfect organization etc etc, but I'm only coming up on 20 and have enough time to work on all the finer details. I plan on being rich not necessarily by my own work/job, but through investments with my self-made millionaire grandpa, I think he knows what he's doing by now :D
 

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
17,116
0
0
Summer in upper Michigan, around Petoskey and Harbor Springs.

Winter somewhere in Mexico.
 

evolvedbullet

Senior member
Mar 11, 2006
543
0
0
Never ending the goal of finding natural enlightenment and traveling the world to get laid with one women for every nation on earth! (Quagmire has a good life goal!)
 

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
42,816
83
91
dead. heh.

but in a perfect world where I lived to a ripe old age... I'd like a cabana on the beach somewhere in mexico where I could just drink, listen to music, and write.
 

AmphibSailor

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2002
1,399
5
81
:beer: I've already retired once (military-24 years). Next thing on my list is to get my two teenagers thru school / college (2015) and then at the age of 52 I'll either continue working oversea until 60 or choose to retire somewhere cheaper like either the Philippines or somewhere in Central / South America.
 

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
10,247
206
106
Originally posted by: Rogodin2
In 30 years we'll all be dead-I'll retire when I have my homestead finished.

Rogo
I knew it'd only be a matter of time until you mentioned that. Hippies....


:p
 

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
21,335
1
76
Originally posted by: FlashG
No golf for me but I might get a part time job at Lowe?s or Home Depot for the discounts. I will probably do some type of community or church voluntary work as well.
Employee discount at Home Depot? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
 

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
27,268
1,331
126
Originally posted by: PhoenixOrion
I've heard: 'buy a house on golf course and play everyday'

Me: 'surf during the summer months, snowboard during winter'

But then again I'm not sure if I'm still be able to do that....assuming at 67~70 years old coz I see myself workaholic through all these years.
rent 18yr old girls :Q
 

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
27,268
1,331
126
Originally posted by: TallBill
If all goes well, I'll be fully retired at 45. I'll probably set up an exclusive gun range/club just for fun.
07 or e7?

Originally posted by: shinerburke
Summer in upper Michigan, around Petoskey and Harbor Springs.

Winter somewhere in Mexico.
thought u were banned?!
 

antyler

Golden Member
Aug 7, 2005
1,745
0
0
Originally posted by: Xyclone
Originally posted by: antyler
Somewhere such as. . .South Africa, maybe in Iraq, but then again I dont own a map so I could never figure out how to get to one of these remote destinations.
Where are you from... South Carolina? :laugh::p
lame attempt at parody about the miss teen usa thread.
 

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
1,418
30
91
Meh, I am a cynic so chances are 50% I will die from poor health. Of the remaining 50% there is a 25% chance civilisation will have ended, 25% chance I will be dead for any other reason than health, 10% I will retire unhappily and maybe 40% I will actually retire happily in my mid 50s.

Oh, as to how I see myself, assuming I am alive, I figure it will be a lot of traveling and I have always wanted to move to the country in Europe.
 

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
7,697
288
126
Plan on retiring at 45. I'm hopeful to have $2m in liquid investments along with $1m in 401K retirement funds which should turn into $2.5 million at age 62.

My plan,

retire in a podunk town in the eastern midwest out of the snowbelt and buy myslef a nice house and a "roadhouse". Owning my own bar & grill where the locals can have a decent lunch and at nighttime have drinks, dancing, and good food. I will definitely do BBQ and will add my own touches to the food.

I want to be a few hours to a big city so that I have access to shopping, culture, and an airport. I'd like to also be 6-8hrs from the gulf of Mexico for times when I want to see the Ocean.

I'm on pace to accomplish this but lots of hard work and a key promotion still needs to occur!


 

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
21,207
65
91
I don't know yet, I've only been retired for two months.

Thinner maybe, I've lost 30 lbs.


 

NoShangriLa

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2006
1,652
0
0
My idea of retirement is to built a nice little house on a lake front with a garden to be lost in. And, a cabin & out door gazebo/bbq to entertain the extended family.

So far I have 5 acre with out a lake, and now I have to work on the $$$ for that little house & man made lake.

 

hiromizu

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
3,405
1
0
Too young to even think about retiring. I don't think it'd ever happen. I'll do what I want to do until I'm dead.
 

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
19,180
2,454
126
Males in my family have a history of dying in their 50s. Given my family history, I'll likely be dead before I retire.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY