How do YOU save money?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
I'm very good with saving my money.

I just stick it away in a bank account. But now I have an ISA.

I just don't spend it on 'stuff' that I would otherwise do so.

Clothe's and drinking lots. I drink less or sometimes just get rocked completley lol but they are few and far between now a days. Being too ill after drinking is NOT GOOD! But the memories and fun times are sweet though :D

What else do I spend my stuff on?

Not much as I live at home so cooking and stuff is free.

Just set aside a stash of your money. 10% is good.

I hope to save 70% after tax's of what I earn as I have limited expenses and will limit myself so I can save loads and get a place of my own asap.

Koing

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Rent: $125
Internet: $80
Insurance: $59
Food:$150

Total: $439

Income: 2x$390=$780

$780-$439=+$341 monthly cash flow.

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
Rent: $125
Internet: $80
Insurance: $59
Food:$150

Total: $439

Income: 2x$390=$780

$780-$439=+$341 monthly cash flow.

live at home? thats a nice deal on rent and no utilities.

Beattie

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2001
Insurance = $250
Cell Phone = $25
School Loan repayment = $200
Car Loan Repayment = $330

That's it. No extra anything. None of this "charity" or "tithing". I live at home, so dinner is free. Though when I didnt, I would regularly just skip meals to save money. Water is just as good. I have a nice lump of cash sitting in the bank, and I just started working profitably like 3 months ago.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: weezergirl
bring your lunch to work
watch movies during the day (matinee price) or rent a movie instead of going to the theater
only get water when you go out to eat
cut coupons
sell your old clothes instead of throwing them out

i dont do most of this stuff but it's stuff i've read from other ppl or articles.

First off...Weezer pwns! Me and my sis love 'em...blue album was just rereleased with all the bsides no?

We do all of that, except for the clothes thing...I just wear them until they fall apart.

I don't buy things that I can't afford. Monthly bills are the enemy...don't fall for that 'only $19 a month for 10,000 years' crap. Unless its a car, or a house...I save up and buy it flat out. If I can't save up and buy it flat out, then I can't afford it and have no business buying it.

Pay for insurance in large blocks all at once, there's a pretty signifigant discount if you do this. It takes more planning, but its doable.

Turn the heat down, put on a sweater.

This may not apply, but I bring most of my laundry home to do...it costs 2.50 to wash and dry one load. That adds up.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: dxkj
live at home? thats a nice deal on rent and no utilities.
I live with my cousin and his girlfriend. He's loaded, so he lets me live with him cheaply.

My rent was $150 in Indiana though, just because everything is so inexpensive up there.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
You give $250 a month to your church? WTF! Do you live in Vatican City? Oh well, it's your choice, but I bet your preacher/priest drives a Lexus.

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
Originally posted by: edro13
You give $250 a month to your church? WTF! Do you live in Vatican City? Oh well, it's your choice, but I bet your preacher/priest drives a Lexus.

Gross 2500 a month, 10% = $250.

Our church is a missionary church so most goes towards that and helping the needy.

V00DOO

Diamond Member
Dec 2, 2000
Buy more stuff from the hot deals forum. The more you spend, the more you save.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004

Our church is a missionary church so most goes towards that and helping the needy.

I admire that. I am the needy so I keep all my money! (We're saving for a house down payment, and a wedding.)

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
Originally posted by: PingSpike

I admire that. I am the needy so I keep all my money! (We're saving for a house down payment, and a wedding.)

Hehe, thanks. We just paid for a wedding, have 45k in school loans, and my car just died on me (kinda).

Elbryn

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2000
You guys doing this all on one income? thats pretty rough. If thats the case, you're already scrimping pretty good. there's only so far you can stretch the money and still save some. biggest expenditures are in rent, groceries, and tithe. Seems that rent and tithe are not going to change... how about buying food in bulk from a warehouse club like sam's or costco. Start clipping coupons on sundays, shop the deals. Does the wife work? could always do the fatwallet then ebay thing to make some extra cash. You have a landline and a cell phone, could make do with just the landline? could swap a pager in for the cell phone if you need a way to be contacted. take a buddy in to live with you guys if you have the room. that'll cut rent and utilities by a good amount