How do YOU save money?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Crazymofo
Originally posted by: dxkj
Originally posted by: Kemosabe1447
If it gets too bad, you could turn off your cable and go back to dial up...:(

Cable internet is $20 a month. But that is a possibility too.... except that I download enough entertainment during the month that it would save on alternate methods of entertainment.

How the heck do you get 20 a month?!? That only lasted 6 months for me now I'm paying 45...:(

I always call back in and re-nogotiate it or threaten to go to DSL. Its worked 3 times so far.

BigJelly

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2002
Originally posted by: Lager
Not spend it.

seriously though ever since i started working i always put half of the cash i made in the bank, and if i didnt need all the rest (the other half) i just added it to the bank anyways. I'm 20 years old and have 6k in the bank thats all mine :cool:

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
The first pay of the month is my pay cheque. the other is my "play" cheque. I always invest a minimum of half my income.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Rule # 1: You spend less than of what you make.

Sit down and write down every single expenses and I mean every single ones. Then you will have to decide what you can't live without (rent/mortgate, car note, insurances, and such) and what you can live without (nice dinner, magazines subscriptions, travel, and such). It won't be easy and hard to do but if you want to have some savings, you have to increase your income and spend less than what you make.

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000
Originally posted by: BigJelly
Originally posted by: Lager
Not spend it.

seriously though ever since i started working i always put half of the cash i made in the bank, and if i didnt need all the rest (the other half) i just added it to the bank anyways. I'm 20 years old and have 6k in the bank thats all mine :cool:

:cookie;

;) seriously though, that's pretty good. I'm 22 and I love spending money :( Thinking about marriage and a family and a house and on and on and on just makes me want to save. It'll happen....

Gonna go into ING right now and deposit $200 in there. Gonna try for $200 a paycheck. That's my goal, just thought of that while typing.

Sweet :)

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Twice a month ING direct pulls it out automatically, in addition to my 401k which comes out automatically from my pay check. If you try and save based on money you have left over at the end of the month you will not be successful. Have auto-payments, and see them as a bill. Saving = easy then.

weezergirl

Diamond Member
May 24, 2000
bring your lunch to work
watch movies during the day (matinee price) or rent a movie instead of going to the theater
only get water when you go out to eat
cut coupons
sell your old clothes instead of throwing them out

i dont do most of this stuff but it's stuff i've read from other ppl or articles.

Crazymofo

Platinum Member
May 14, 2003
Originally posted by: Crazymofo
Originally posted by: Kemosabe1447
If it gets too bad, you could turn off your cable and go back to dial up...:(

Cable internet is $20 a month. But that is a possibility too.... except that I download enough entertainment during the month that it would save on alternate methods of entertainment.

How the heck do you get 20 a month?!? That only lasted 6 months for me now I'm paying 45...:(

I always call back in and re-nogotiate it or threaten to go to DSL. Its worked 3 times so far.

I'll give it a try thanks...

And Ameesh I'd never do that I can't even remember to write checks into a register...

kalster

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2002
just be responsible i think

easier said than done though

edit: err didnt see the list of monthly expenses , its hard to cut down more i guess

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
Originally posted by: weezergirl
bring your lunch to work
watch movies during the day (matinee price) or rent a movie instead of going to the theater
only get water when you go out to eat
cut coupons
sell your old clothes instead of throwing them out

i dont do most of this stuff but it's stuff i've read from other ppl or articles.

1) Always pack lunch
2) We only watch movies at the local $2 theater
3) I only get water when we go out, wife gets a pop
4) Aldi = good food for similar price to cutting coupons. Would like to do that too.
5) I dont get new clothes. Been wearing the same ones since highschool hehe.

Aztech

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by: minendo
Originally posted by: atom
Store brand stuff from the supermarket.

We shop at Aldi's. The stuff they have there that is good, we get a lot. Probably spend $150-200 a month max on groceries, and another $50 a month going out to eat.

Stop going out to eat. There is $50 extra.
Dude, $50 is really good. I'd hate to know what we spend on eating out. Prolly $300 per month, easy.

PCMarine

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2002
I'm 17 (18 in June), and I've been working for roughly three years. During that time period, I bought a car, pay for insurance and gasoline, pay for entertainment and outings with the GF.

I still managed to save more than $10K over those three years which I can use later on in life for an apartment or whatever I may need.

anno

Golden Member
May 1, 2003
really the only thing you have to work with is your charity and your tithe, which, from my understanding, oughta include each other and to be compliant oughta = 10% combined, so you're 35 bucks a month over there.. cut your church offering down to 215 and keep your 15/month to other charities and put the extra 35 in your savings. that's about all you have to work with, you're pretty no-frills already.

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
Originally posted by: jmcoreymv
Get a part time job on for the weekends /nights. It will build up real quick.

I used to do that, now I'm married and its not an option :)

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
The Grocery Game

I also buy a lot of stuff on clearance... just got a cotton dress shirt for $5.25 at Sears tonight. :) And a pair of Old Navy pleated khakis for $1.97. Last weekend I got a ton of extension cords for $.18 to $.32 each at Target.