How do YOU save money?

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
Just curious. We're doing our best right now but I'm always up for more ideas. Basically think day to day/monthly expense.

Current Budget:

Electric------------------------45
Rent---------------------------844
Water/Sewage/Trash------35
Cable/Internet--------------30
Natural Gas------------------40
Car Insurance---------------64
Groceries---------------------175
Gasoline----------------------53
Entertainment---------------20
Dinner-------------------------50
Loans--------------------------160
Drugs--------------------------15
Phone--------------------------16
CellPhone ---------------------53
Charity-------------------------15
Tithe---------------------------250
Savings-----------------------200
Health Insurance------------235
Misc---------------------------0

Total-------------------------2300 a month

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
Cut down on whores and drugs.

*posting the obligatory post that is inevitable*

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
I take a certain amount of each paycheck and deposit it into an ING Direct savings account.

boomdart

Jan 10, 2004
I keep it in a hard-to-get place, so I know where it is, but for most things I won't go through the trouble of getting it because it's too much of a pain in the bass.

That's just me...

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
Originally posted by: minendo
I take a certain amount of each paycheck and deposit it into an ING Direct savings account.

Yeah, doing that, I'm wondering of more cost-cutting ideas, though putting it into savings right away is a good way not to spend it :)

Wallydraigle

Banned
Nov 27, 2000
I've found that the most effective way to save money, for me, is when I cash my paycheck, to tell the teller to put some of my money in a savings account, that way it gets saved.

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
I put $400 of each bimonthly pay check into my savings account. I have no liabilities at the moment so I'm thinking about upping it to $500.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Same here...builds up quick.

Sysadmin

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
Originally posted by: atom
Store brand stuff from the supermarket.

We shop at Aldi's. The stuff they have there that is good, we get a lot. Probably spend $150-200 a month max on groceries, and another $50 a month going out to eat.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: dxkj

We shop at Aldi's. The stuff they have there that is good, we get a lot. Probably spend $150-200 a month max on groceries, and another $50 a month going out to eat.

Stop going out to eat. There is $50 extra.

Crazymofo

Platinum Member
May 14, 2003
I am unable to save any money at the moment but a co-worker explained an interesting way of saving to me the other day...

He writes every transaction he makes in a register, checks, debits, atms everything... so if you don't do that this won't work but what he did was round every transaction up to the next dollar amount... after a few months he had like an extra 1k...

That wouldn't work for me but it might for you.

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001

Stop going out to eat. There is $50 extra.

That's always possible, but 50 is the max, usually we hit 30-45 a month. The wife really likes going out to eat (restaraunts). We don't have many friends in the area, so its something to do :). If we didnt go out to eat that would be 3-5 more dinners a month, so it wouldn't be the full 50. Probably closer to $20-30 savings.

But thanks, that is definitely an idea.

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Kemosabe1447
If it gets too bad, you could turn off your cable and go back to dial up...:(

Cable internet is $20 a month. But that is a possibility too.... except that I download enough entertainment during the month that it would save on alternate methods of entertainment.

Crazymofo

Platinum Member
May 14, 2003
Originally posted by: Kemosabe1447
If it gets too bad, you could turn off your cable and go back to dial up...:(

Cable internet is $20 a month. But that is a possibility too.... except that I download enough entertainment during the month that it would save on alternate methods of entertainment.

How the heck do you get 20 a month?!? That only lasted 6 months for me now I'm paying 45...:(

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Crazymofo
I am unable to save any money at the moment but a co-worker explained an interesting way of saving to me the other day...

He writes every transaction he makes in a register, checks, debits, atms everything... so if you don't do that this won't work but what he did was round every transaction up to the next dollar amount... after a few months he had like an extra 1k...

That wouldn't work for me but it might for you.

jesus what a fvcking waste of time...

why not just set aside a couple hundred dollars at the beggining of every month that you dont touch and save yourself all the hassle of keeping a register.