how do you properly launch a car ?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Nik
First, you buy a front-wheel-drive Honda, paint EVERYTHING white, and put Audi tack-ons everywhere so everyone knows you're driving an Audi.

Second, you load the ass end down with a huge feckin spoiler that doesn't push the ass end down at higher speeds (read: isn't functional), just weights the car down at lower speeds because it's just extra weight --so much so that it lifts the front of the car up, away from the pavement so you can lose traction because of the front-wheel-drive.

Third, you put some lights all over your car -because lights make your car faster... some guy told me once that they do, so you should do that.

Forth, you should put a second muffler and tailpipe on the car to make everyone think that you have a V8... in your HonAudi.

Fifth, disregard people who point and laugh at you when they see steam coming out of only one tailpipe when you're driving in colder conditions.

Sixth, lower your car so that it's more aerodynamic. With all that power under the hood that the Type-R sticker gave to your 4-banging HonAudi, you're going to need to stay as close to the ground as possible so that fvcking huge WING on the back of the car doesn't pick your car up and fly you away.

Also..when lowering, make sure you cut your springs -- weight reduction is an added benefit.

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
When the light turns green, push the gas RIGHT AWAY. You'll get a speed boost. Ahh.. the Mario Kart days....

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
take a BIG rocket, put the car on an angled ramp, around 60-80 degrees inclined, launch the rocket.

you now have launched a car.

MIKE

Kroze

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by: NutBucket
Originally posted by: Heisenberg
Originally posted by: Kroze
Everyone suggested that you redline the car and then feather your clutch. that's how you get the best launch.

but doing that, you are slipping your clutch real fast.

To get the best torque for my car (90 Supra turbo), i just put it up to 3k rpm and drop the clutch. my car pick up like a bat out of hell and pretty much instant turbo boost right away. but that's also bad for your tranny.

Either way, if you're racing, you're killing your car no matter what you try to do.

That works fine since your car has low-end torque. Mine really doesn't have a whole lot.
3k rpm = "low end" :Q
Yikes.

Relative;) Like my other posts state, my car lives between 5 and 7k:)

VTEC? :)

just kidding.

but my turbo supra is pretty stout. it build boost @ 2500rpm all the way up to 5000rpm with the stock turbo.

Dropping the clutch at 3000rpm...it's an experience.

who said turbo cars are slow of a dig don't know how to drive.

Since i upgraded my turbo, i fried my clutch because of the stock one coudln't handle the new power ;)

Can't wait to get the new clutch in. Shooting for 400 rwhp.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Heisenberg
Everyone suggested that you redline the car and then feather your clutch. that's how you get the best launch.

That works fine since your car has low-end torque. Mine really doesn't have a whole lot.
3k rpm = "low end" :Q
Yikes.

Relative;) Like my other posts state, my car lives between 5 and 7k:)

VTEC? :)

just kidding.

Who's kidding?:confused: It its a VTEC motor as a matter of fact:) I love my hybrid:D

Desslok

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Rallispec
Originally posted by: flot
For example, try to drop the clutch on a WRX or similar and you'll break the tranny.

Then they should have built a better tranny!

would it be the tranny taht would give way first, or the differential?

Most likley it would be the tranny, probably 2nd gear that would gernade.