How do you like your potatoes?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

How do you like your potatoes?

• Mashed

• Baked

• au Gratin

• Chips

• Fries

• Hash Browns

• Most of the above

• All of the above

• All of the above + other(post)

Results are only viewable after voting.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Just made a big bowl of fried potatoes and onions with Creole seasoning, and hot sauce. Delicious :^)

gophins72

Golden Member
Jul 22, 2005
all of the above and potato pancakes (latkas?), tater tots, potato soup. pretty much cant think of a potato dish i dont like.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Most of the above. Not really a fan of mashed. Probably my fav would be baked, and fried (french fries, chips, hash you name it).

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Most of the above. I'm not crazy about mashed. My favorite is probably boiled new potatoes, with a bit of black pepper on them, nothing else.

Edit:
I forgot baked. I'm not a huge fan of those either.

I agree with you on mashed. But baked? Something is wrong with you sir! :p

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Best --- fresh cut fries loaded with cheese, chilli, and green onions.
2nd Best -- Cooked around a roast, soaked in delicious meat juices
3rd Best -- Garlic Mashed
4th Best -- Wedges with cheese
5th Best -- Fried sliced
6th Best -- Au Grautin
7th Best -- Boiled
Worst ... Baked ... so dry and boring!

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004

They're ok, just not a favorite. Sometimes they're too dry, and you have to drown them in butter to make them edible. I like them when the inside is moist, and the skin is crispy. I don't know how to make them that way since I never make baked potato, but it's always a treat when I get them that way out :^)

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
They're ok, just not a favorite. Sometimes they're too dry, and you have to drown them in butter to make them edible. I like them when the inside is moist, and the skin is crispy. I don't know how to make them that way since I never make baked potato, but it's always a treat when I get them that way out :^)

wash the skin throughly then coat it with peanut oil and rub some kosher salt into the skin. From there you bake until ready and add enough cheese, butter and sour cream to make up for it being healthy otherwise.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
wash the skin throughly then coat it with peanut oil and rub some kosher salt into the skin. From there you bake until ready and add enough cheese, butter and sour cream to make up for it being healthy otherwise.

I'll have to give that a try. My daughter likes baked potatoes pretty well, so she'd dig it, if nothing else.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'll eat them any way, so long as you keep ketchup far, far away from tasty potato goodness.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

yeha, I'm missing the boiled option, too, but baked can be super awesome:

cubed new potatoes in baking dish:
400 degree oven

coat top with butter, drizzle olive oil
kosher salt
ground black pepper
maybe some garlic powder
FRESH basil + thyme sprigs on top of potatoes

bake until crisp on outside, soft, cooked in middle

or something like that.
yum.

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
I am a complete sucker for fries, especially with aioli. I will steal my friends' fries, if necessary. And when I go to a bistro/bar restaurant, I always order something that has fries on.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i see mashed, but where are 'boiled' and 'stuck in a stew'?

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
The other night, I had some small potatoes, so I boiled them. Part of the meal was duck breast, so after I rendered the fat out of the skin, I put it in a saute pan, got it smoking hot, and put the potatoes in there and smashed with a fork. Didn't move 'em until they had a nice brown crust on the bottom.

Duckfat hash browns. I need to do that again.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
I'll take a potato anyway I can get it.

Then bend over, this spud's for you! :p

But seriously, I'm with you -- I can't think of a method of cooking them I don't like.

Hell, while it's not my first, second, third, or fourth choice, I keep a box of instant mash flakes around for emergency quickies. Easy, rapid preparation, and I throw garlic powder, onion flakes, cayenne, thyme, more butter than the directions call for, and some salt and pepper right in.

It's a double-wide deeeee-light!

But I'm especially down with those who have talked about cutting/cubing and roasting them. My Dad used to do this when he made roast beef and his own Yorkshire pudding for some Sunday meals. Loverly and tastelicious, they were and are.