How do you like working for free?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Originally posted by: steppinthrax
I just called HR as soon as I saw this post and the woman on the other end laughed at me. I feel like the biggest dumb ass systems analyst now. I want to go home and stick my head in the toliet for a couple days now.

She explained to me it's not true.

hahahaha did you say ned made you do it?

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: jmanny
I once had a company tell all it's employee's that they paid us for 53 weeks in a year and were going to withhold a paycheck from everyone.:confused: I called and asked HR WTF???? They said since it was a leap year everyone got an extra check in Feb. I asked how in the world could they just add a 53rd week to the year. Of course the answer was "I don't know, that's just what I was told". Needles to say after a couple of hours of answering calls from employee's the policy was reversed.

In some years there are 53 FRIDAYS and that can screw up small companies who don't think it through and pay people every Friday. Wonder if that was the case. They think that if they pay people weekly, and there are 53 Fridays in the year, then they feel it's an "extra" paycheck they shouldn't issue.

shocksyde

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2001
Aug 23, 2000
Well being salaried means I make more than the hourly people anyways, so I look at it as, HaHa you still make less than I do. I still wonder what it's like to make less than $250K a year. ;-)

Josh

Lifer
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: steppinthrax
I just called HR as soon as I saw this post and the woman on the other end laughed at me. I feel like the biggest dumb ass systems analyst now. I want to go home and stick my head in the toliet for a couple days now.

She explained to me it's not true.

:laugh::laugh: You sir are an idiot for even asking a question like that

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
So does that mean we are getting a day free in rent or getting screwed a day in rent (and 2 days in non leap year Februaries)?

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Actually, monthly salary would be based on an average of about 30 days/month. You're actually just getting one less paid free day than you would the previous 3 years. :p

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Originally posted by: kranky
So you get paid more in months with 31 days than you do in months with 30 or 28 days, and this month they are paying you the 28-day month salary?

If not, then I can't see how you can say you aren't getting paid for today.

Last year you worked 20 days in February and got paid X. This year you work 21 days and still get paid X.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: NuclearNed
If you are an exempt salaried worker, you are working today for free. The company isn't paying you jack, and you are getting screwed. Enjoy!

err, 1 year is defined as 365.25 days... the quarter days are booked every 4 years, you are in fact getting paid before you do the work of that day.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: dainthomas
So you get paid more in months with 31 days than you do in months with 30 or 28 days, and this month they are paying you the 28-day month salary?

Last year you worked 20 days in February and got paid X. This year you work 21 days and still get paid X.

March 21 days, April 22 working days...

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
If you are an exempt salaried worker, you are working today for free. The company isn't paying you jack, and you are getting screwed. Enjoy!

Meh . . .that's ok. As much as I slack off, even if they added an extra day to every month of the year I'd still be coming out ahead. And I still get payed the same regardless. Have fun punching your timeclock.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: JS80

It doesn't have anything to do with individual months... it has to do with total working days in the year.

Since I don't know how many working days there were last year (or this year), I'll just go with total days:

Last year there were 365 days in the year, and you got paid X. This year there are 366 days, and you still got paid X. You are getting the same pay even though you are working an extra day.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
More than made up for by the days I get paid for when I'm not at work or can't make it in, and the company car I am allowed to use as if it were my personal car.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
This only holds true if you get paid by the month on a certain day each month (i.e the 1st and the 15th or just the 1st, etc).

If you get paid weekly, bi-weekly, every 4 weeks, etc...its just a continuous cycle of weeks regardless of what the date is.

I'm bi-weekly so it doesn't matter. But I do know someone getting hit by this ahahahaha.

shocksyde

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2001
Originally posted by: JS80

It doesn't have anything to do with individual months... it has to do with total working days in the year.

Since I don't know how many working days there were last year (or this year), I'll just go with total days:

Last year there were 365 days in the year, and you got paid X. This year there are 366 days, and you still got paid X. You are getting the same pay even though you are working an extra day.

You're missing the big picture. The other 3 years you're working 365 days but getting paid for 365.25. This year you work 366 days and get paid for 365.25. It all evens out.