How do you like working for free?

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
If you are an exempt salaried worker, you are working today for free. The company isn't paying you jack, and you are getting screwed. Enjoy!

ScottMac

Moderator<br>Networking<br>Elite member
Mar 19, 2001
Speak for yourself. I'm salaried, exempt, and getting paid for the additional day on a pro-rated basis.

Sucks to be you, I guess.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: lokiju
Background?

Why would I not get paid?
He is implying that your salary is based upon 28 days for the month of Febuary.
Since there are 29 this year, that day doesn't factor into your pay.

shocksyde

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2001
Actually, that's not true.

You get paid $X per year. A year is defined as 365.25 days.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
Background?

Most salaried workers are payed on a yearly basis (i.e. $100k per year). $100k is constant no matter how many days there are in the year. On leap years there is an extra day for which you don't get paid.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
I just called HR as soon as I saw this post and the woman on the other end laughed at me. I feel like the biggest dumb ass systems analyst now. I want to go home and stick my head in the toliet for a couple days now.

She explained to me it's not true.

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
Originally posted by: NuclearNed
Background?

Most salaried workers are payed on a yearly basis (i.e. $100k per year). $100k is constant no matter how many days there are in the year. On leap years there is an extra day for which you don't get paid.

They figure that in to your contract. Talk to a payroll person, they will spell out the specifics for you.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
Background?

He is implying that your salary is based upon 28 days for the month of Febuary.
Since there are 29 this year, that day doesn't factor into your pay.

:laugh:

I just asked my HR person and I think I confused her.

But pretty much we're not getting paid an extra 8 hours worth of pay for this year.

puffff

Platinum Member
Jun 25, 2004
Originally posted by: NuclearNed
Background?

2 out of 3 places i've worked at, my annual pay is converted to an hourly rate based on 52 weeks a year, 5 days a week, 8 hours a day. i then get paid every week or every two weeks based on a 40 hour week. so an extra leap year day doesnt affect me.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Meh, I don't care, I'll make it up in free pens and white-out.

KT

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
So you get paid more in months with 31 days than you do in months with 30 or 28 days, and this month they are paying you the 28-day month salary?

If not, then I can't see how you can say you aren't getting paid for today.

misle

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
I'm salary, but I'm paid bi-weekly. So, I'm being paid today. It is also my last day at this job. Seemed like a good day to take a leap.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
I'm salaried, except, and I get paid bi-weekly for every 80 hours of work I perform.

I don't this this is an issue.

jmanny

Apr 12, 2007
I once had a company tell all it's employee's that they paid us for 53 weeks in a year and were going to withhold a paycheck from everyone.:confused: I called and asked HR WTF???? They said since it was a leap year everyone got an extra check in Feb. I asked how in the world could they just add a 53rd week to the year. Of course the answer was "I don't know, that's just what I was told". Needles to say after a couple of hours of answering calls from employee's the policy was reversed.