How do you call in sick?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Shanti
I don't fake being sick.
In fact, I usually come in to work even when I feel like crap.
But on the rare occasion when I am actually sick enough to not come to work, I still have this feeling that they will think I'm lying.

so your the bastard that spews germs everywhere and makes all the healthy people sick.

ndee

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Kiyup
Pick up the phone.
Tell them your having major surgery.
You won't be able to make it in until tomorrow.
Take the day off to look in your local yellow pages to see if anyone is giving lessons on comon sense.
Go to that class.

lol

NetGuySC

Golden Member
Nov 19, 1999
Isn't it aginst the law to ask for details of why someone is too sick to come to work. Thought this dealt with the new mediacal privacy laws. HR at work said that you can basically ask nothing because it is none of your business for the employee told you everything that you need to know and that is that they are too sick to work.

I do ask for a doc slip everytime. If you're too sick to work then you need to see a doctor :) also I am required to ask for doc slips everytime, and my HR will call and verify. I believe about three people have been fired in the last 6 months due to false doctor excuses.

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
I rarely call in sick. When I do, 90% of the time it's due to an ear infection.

I just say "I'm feeling sick today and won't make it to work today." no questions asked...

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Originally posted by: NetGuySC
If you're too sick to work then you need to see a doctor :)

that isn't true. if I'm sniffling and sneezing and coughing I'm not gonna go to work and I'm not gonna go to a doctor. it's courteous towards your co-workers not to expose them to that crap.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
i email my boss

attache x-rays of large growths in my spleen or something scary like that

no really, i don't take "sick" days unless i have the flu or smallpox or surgery , so i don't really say much. if i don't come to work, there is a pretty good reason. i got the workaholic gene from my dad :frown:

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
"Hey, I ain't coming in today, I'm under the weather".
"Feel better, hope you make it in tommorow".

ucdbiendog

Platinum Member
Sep 22, 2001
if you call in sick, it is key that you call RIGHT after you wake up, because then it makes it easier to fake that sick voice. personally, i just email them.

DrNoobie

Banned
Mar 3, 2004
That's the one bad thing about working in the hospital. If I try to call in sick, they tell me to come in for a free check up, and you can't really fool doctors.

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000
Isn't it aginst the law to ask for details of why someone is too sick to come to work. Thought this dealt with the new mediacal privacy laws. HR at work said that you can basically ask nothing because it is none of your business for the employee told you everything that you need to know and that is that they are too sick to work.

I do ask for a doc slip everytime. If you're too sick to work then you need to see a doctor :) also I am required to ask for doc slips everytime, and my HR will call and verify. I believe about three people have been fired in the last 6 months due to false doctor excuses.

That is a load of crap. I don't go running to the doctor if I don't feel well. Also, I am so hopped up on cold meds that it would be dangerous for me to drive anywhere.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I'm self-employed, and one of the benefits is that I can take the day off if I so desire. If I'm actually sick I'll usually call my larger clients and defer activity for the day, otherwise I'll just keep my cell phone with me and answer their phone calls wherever I might be.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Good luck keeping quality people around with that mentality. I'd never work for a company who showed such little respect for their employees. Of course, it largely depends on the type of environment, but to treat professionals that way is unacceptable, imo.

I think that is a voliation of the new HEPA laws that are out there now.

DrNoobie

Banned
Mar 3, 2004
Originally posted by: FallenHero

I think that is a voliation of the new HEPA laws that are out there now.

Ayup.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I have not called in sick since starting my new job, almost a year and a half now. It is more trouble to call in than just being there sick.

NetGuySC

Golden Member
Nov 19, 1999
Good luck keeping quality people around with that mentality. I'd never work for a company who showed such little respect for their employees. Of course, it largely depends on the type of environment, but to treat professionals that way is unacceptable, imo.

I understand, but this isn't a professional environment, basically it is the other end of the spectrum. This is mainly enforced with employees who miss 2 or more days a month

Absenteeism is major problem #1 and it seems to be the same people most of the time and the harshness of our rules have helped with absenteeism, but has hurt in other ways.

I don't have the answers, but am just doing my job.

Personally, I've had about five sick days in the past fourteen years, and these were with at least a days notice. Three days due to chest pains/stress, two root canals.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Where I work you pretty much have to have a doctor's excuse or you'll be fired.

I'm changing jobs soon though. ;)

Atvar

Jan 8, 2002
I have never called off...or taken a vacation day for that matter. I think here you just have to get in touch with someone and let them know you arent going to be there. They really hate when you go into detail.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Because I come in so early, I just send in an email. If they come to my desk it's already freaking odvious I'm not in. All I have to do is explain why.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Email. I don't provide much in the way of details. It's not really their business. Plus, I'm generally lying anyway.

I'm a fan of the email method myself... My boss doesn't usually pick-up the phone anyways, so leaving him a voicemail is the same as email.

I just feel very protected behind the email :p