How do we feel about papa joe this far into his presidency, would you vote for him in reelection?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
I'm a senior citizen hoping to survival this pandemic and growing hatred of kindness, obeying the law and paying your taxes. So, yeah, I'm voting for Joe Biden. Always planned to.

Republicans increasingly fill me with dread and disgust. In the 70's and 80's, their casual dismissals of suffering, trauma and racism cemented me firmly on the side of Jimmy Carter and those who cheered him. I know Democrats are not perfect and Black people have a right to question their support. So do Latinos.

But the GOP had made no secret of their plans to erase my people's struggles, triumphs and achievements and probably if they can - us. So, the only thing I can do, is oppose them - peacefully.

And to my brother from another mother, Moonbeam: Some posters here simply do not play. It would be great if those who opposed the demonic fuckery of the GOP were all so similarly strident.

To the poster who came up with this meme idea: Thank you. Your meme had me chuckling a for a long time. I can't find it anymore. Since I Ioved that show, I hope I am forgiven for trying to duplicate it:

Attachments

• Det. Columbo.png
    Det. Columbo.png
    939.1 KB · Views: 36

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
At this point in time, I'll take Biden as he represents the Dem's best chances for a repeat win for the White House. Voting for any Repub is, in every way possible voting for a plutocrat-theocrat-fascist that will at every opportunity stuff the SCOTUS with more corporate owned and operated stooges like Kavanaugh and Barret.

Reactions: iRONic and Leeea

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
People forget the incredibly awful speeches from Trump during Trump. His going on and on, his physically sickening monotone voice, and the shit he just made up out of his ass. Shit that the media had to listen to then try to make sense out of. For the media to be forced to decipher Trump rantings and try to apply logic is insulting in itself to human intelligence. Don't forget his self praise, endless self praise. Yes... people forget. Sometimes we are reminded by Fox News, and that's bad enough, but then we can take glee in knowing while the guy still has his big fat lying mouth.... he is pointless and powerless.

Frankly, I can not imagine putting up with Trump rants and incredible Trump stupidity day after day if he were president again. I just can not imagine.
And so, first you have to remember what it was like to live under Trump, and only then answer the question is Biden worth voting for again.

Mar 11, 2004
Biden because he can take the heat for issues whilst they work to fix things behind the scenes. People don't understand how much Turmp and his cronies fucked up the government top to bottom. That will take decades, but for now, it seems they have been quietly building the proper legal means to actually address the corruption we just saw happen.

So, right now, we need a boring old white dude to be the face, so that they can go after the corruption of the previous administration. If any other dem (especially woman, person of color, or LGBTQ person) were in, the Republicans would be able to win the idiot moderate/centrist/undecided voters to their side claiming which hunt. As it is now, they've sold Biden as a senile old guy so them now trying to claim he's been secretly masterminding a takedown of right wingers falls flat and they look like fools everytime they start screaming about whatever issue they're screaming about that they both often created but also are openly refusing to do a goddamn thing about, everything from price controls for insulin, baby formula, etc. They are a house of cards. Biden clearly bothers them whilst keeping enough of the moderates from voting Republican, so he's what we need.

People need to focus on their local stuff. Vote against all Republican/Libertarian/etc people locally. Even if there's no one running against them, write-in something that sends the message that we don't want these shitheads. If right wingers start losing locally and up to the state, it'll blow their attempts at subverting democracy.

Reactions: Captante and Leeea
Feb 4, 2009
Far too early to say without knowing who he’d be running against and what happens over the next year or two.

Reactions: Leeea

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
Unfortunately I think Trump is going to win in 2024 against an even-more-ancient Biden. And if he doesn't and loses the primary to someone like Desantis, I don't consider that much an upgrade. Desantis is just as nasty and just as much of an opportunistic fear-mongerer but he's (somewhat) quieter about it and much more effective in pushing his shitty goals forward.

So I amend my vote for Biden stance to say: if a Democrat tries to primary him, I'd likely vote against Biden. In the general, no way in hell. There's no Republican I'd consider voting for, if they were they wouldn't be a true Republican (and they'd never make it out of the GOP primary.)

But one thing to remember about a Trump 2nd term--he is going to "learn from his mistakes" and not let people talk him out of what he really wants to do. He'll make sure he hires no independently-minded cabinet members etc. All the butthurt he's building up over those that "stole the election" and "wronged him"--in quotes because in reality whatever has happened to him is 100% his own doing--is going to be expressed in a big way. I think as bad as first term Trump was, v2 is going to be far worse. He knows he's literally got nothing to lose at his age and being a 2nd term Prez (though he may have plans to do something about that little rule.)

All that above of course sounds great to 35% of the country. Personally I think the best idea is to let them form Jesusland and let them have the Confederacy they want. Win win for both sides.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Unfortunately I think Trump is going to win in 2024 against an even-more-ancient Biden. And if he doesn't and loses the primary to someone like Desantis, I don't consider that much an upgrade. Desantis is just as nasty and just as much of an opportunistic fear-mongerer but he's (somewhat) quieter about it and much more effective in pushing his shitty goals forward.

So I amend my vote for Biden stance to say: if a Democrat tries to primary him, I'd likely vote against Biden. In the general, no way in hell. There's no Republican I'd consider voting for, if they were they wouldn't be a true Republican (and they'd never make it out of the GOP primary.)

But one thing to remember about a Trump 2nd term--he is going to "learn from his mistakes" and not let people talk him out of what he really wants to do. He'll make sure he hires no independently-minded cabinet members etc. All the butthurt he's building up over those that "stole the election" and "wronged him"--in quotes because in reality whatever has happened to him is 100% his own doing--is going to be expressed in a big way. I think as bad as first term Trump was, v2 is going to be far worse. He knows he's literally got nothing to lose at his age and being a 2nd term Prez (though he may have plans to do something about that little rule.)

All that above of course sounds great to 35% of the country. Personally I think the best idea is to let them form Jesusland and let them have the Confederacy they want. Win win for both sides.
Did Trump stop aging? Like seriously you lost me in the first couple of sentences with that absurd set up.

Reactions: feralkid and iRONic

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Did Trump stop aging? Like seriously you lost me in the first couple of sentences with that absurd set up.
The way I see it is that we create what we fear. The fear of losing creates self destructive defeatism. For every psychologically induced feeling of need created by the feeling that need is unfulfilled there will be created what one might call the Left Hand of Darkness.

Self hate is self destructive but that feeling is masked by ego self confidence, bravado, machismo and blustering. The knife is always wielded in the unconscious so that one hand does not know what the other is doing. This is what I refer to as being asleep.

These two hands, these two coins, this paradox of opposites can be resolved by deeper understanding of the unconscious. The unconscious is the product of emotions we fear to consciously feel and the big one is feeling we are worthless.

So, regardless of which face of the coin we are expressing the other side is hidden there behind it.

The sense of hopelessness and defeat sabotages any effort we make toward hope, confirming more and more our sense or feelings of defeat and the degree to which this is true is personal, depending on totally irrelevant impersonal events that surrounding the environment we grew up in.

We all harbor the feeling of being worthless but it varies in nature and by degree. @Stokely may have more reason to be pessimistic than you do. Doesn't make him right, but I can understand where he is coming from. My advice to him would be to try and see if what he feels is predictive of the reality we see before us or if that reality is only the product of his individual past experience.

I can say I am not as pessimistic as he is but who is really right I have no idea. I hope also that you are confident enough in your own optimism that you don't have to negatively react, not to his, but to him.

We are all the same, I think, if in somewhat different spaces.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leeea

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Biden's doing fine. He ran a center platform and has been largely that. The only political gaffe I put at his feet is the afghanistan pull out but again lots of factors went into that so it only sticks on him. VS any GOP candidate I'd vote for him 1000x over. However vs most democratic candidates, I'd probably vote in another direction (heck during the biden run of 2020, I voted for other candidates)

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
So for the folks who would vote Democrat yet rather vote for someone other than Biden, who would that Democrat be, and why?

Jus' asking......

JWade

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
www.heatware.com
(though he may have plans to do something about that little rule.)
if you look it up, it is the Democrats have introduced bills to remove the two-term limit more than the Republicans. its like 9 to 7 last time i checked. Thankfully neither side ever had a super majority in Congress to get it passed

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
So for the folks who would vote Democrat yet rather vote for someone other than Biden, who would that Democrat be, and why?

Jus' asking......

Almost any of the other candidates he ran against I would have preferred, except for Bernie. They were, and are, too damn old. I'm no spring chicken myself but putting forth such a geezer is an own goal.

And for my "absurd" outlook on Trump winning in 2024...I hope it is absurd and I'm wrong about that. But my expectation is either Trump or Desantis in 2024, and possibly more seats on the Supreme Court given to religious nuts.

Reactions: cytg111

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Almost any of the other candidates he ran against I would have preferred, except for Bernie. They were, and are, too damn old. I'm no spring chicken myself but putting forth such a geezer is an own goal.

And for my "absurd" outlook on Trump winning in 2024...I hope it is absurd and I'm wrong about that. But my expectation is either Trump or Desantis in 2024, and possibly more seats on the Supreme Court given to religious nuts.
You’re right Trump is such a spring chicken.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000

Thanks for your reply. I'm always open to other people's opinions in order to give myself a broader knowledge base that in turn hones my decision-making skills.

Feb 4, 2009
You’re right Trump is such a spring chicken.

His Doctor sure liked looking at him presumably nude or nearly nude

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
if you look it up, it is the Democrats have introduced bills to remove the two-term limit more than the Republicans. its like 9 to 7 last time i checked. Thankfully neither side ever had a super majority in Congress to get it passed
After Trump I'm all for limiting them to one term only.

Reactions: cytg111

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
He's doing OK considering the trump shitshow he inherited. I think the plan should be for him to run in the primary and then let someone else take the lead. The dem party needs to get their shit together and come up with a popular, strong candidate. If they don’t we could easily see DeSantis as 47. The US would turn into another shitshow.

Reactions: Muse