How do I survive a 15 hour nonstop flight?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TTM77

Golden Member
Dec 21, 2002
Triple post

I go back iron out what I wrote but keep hitting the Quote button b/c I got use to it.

Jun 14, 2003
lots of vodka

twill knock you out and you'll either wake up at the other end goin whoa im here, or you'll feel like absolute crap

Jun 14, 2003
dont most airlines have like built in PMP's? (personal media players)

i travelled on virgin last, and they had seats with your own tv and remote and you could chose from a massive list of movies, tv shows, music and radio.... i didnt even feel the need to break out my PSP or mp3 player

TTM77

Golden Member
Dec 21, 2002
Originally posted by: otispunkmeyer

i travelled on virgin last, and they had seats with your own tv and remote and you could chose from a massive list of movies, tv shows, music and radio.... i didnt even feel the need to break out my PSP or mp3 player

Yep.. the Korean airline that I was on had that too. I can even go to the map see where the plane is. They had a long list of movies and it start from the beginning.

Jun 14, 2003
Originally posted by: TTM77
Originally posted by: otispunkmeyer

Yep.. the Korean airline that I was on had that too. I can even go to the map see where the plane is. They had a long list of movies and it start from the beginning.

virgin was especially good tho.... their hostesses are hot and bend over backwards to cater for u and thats in eco class. they even afford you a little more leg room than usual A* service if im honest

but i think if i had a 12 hour flight.... id beseriously contemplating taking a hit on the upgrade to bussines class or something

gwlam12

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2001
My Nintendo DS helped me a lot. 10 hour flight. 30 minutes running to next flight. 11 hour flight.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Everyone talking about getting an expensive battery charger is high on crack. Just take your laptop and use its USB port to charge your IPOD after it dies. Problem solved.

What I do on long flights:

1. Eat well. Eat everything you get. I get discomfort from gas buildup, but nothing a good crap doesn't solve. I carry my own ziplock bag (thanks Kip Hawley), with TP, wipes, toothbrush, mouthwash, lotion, soap, deodorant, etc. That way, after I eat, I can go freshen up, and then I sleep easier.
2. Read. You will be surprised at how sleep you can get from reading with those monotone engines in the background.
3. Movies. IFE (In-Flight Entertainment systems), can be really cool if you fly business, or a higher dollar coach product. I use the hell out of them if available. Otherwise, watch some of the movies they offer on the big screen.
4. Drink. Contrary to advice, I do have a few alcoholic drinks just to help me fall asleep quicker. But, I do stay hydrated. On even 4 hours flights I drink 3-4 small bottles of water. You should have to pee at least 3-4 times on the flight, and it should be due to all the water you are drinking.
5. Sleep. Definetely the best way to pass the time.

jai6638

Golden Member
Apr 9, 2004
Easy... 2-3 movies, 2-3 hour of listening to music, 3-4 hours of sleep, 1-2 hours of eating snacks!

laketrout

Mar 1, 2005
I'm a fan of a sleeping pills and a long book myself. Also, upgrading to first class can really be worth it for long trips too - it can make a big different in terms of service and comfort. Also, sometimes buying an upgrade can be cheaper than buying a first class ticket to begin with too - and check to see if you can transfer miles between airline partners, transfering Star Alliance miles over to Lufthansa so you can get an upgrade works and is worth it.

Aug 25, 2004
UPDATE: Wow, this thread came back from the dead, so I guess an update wouldn't hurt. Cliffs at the end.

I flew Korean air, nonstop from ATL to ICN. Departing flight was 15 hours, the return was 13 hours (or vice versa), probably due to prevailing wind conditions.

I passed most of my time watching movies or listening to music. On the flight to ICN, I had lots of legroom and two seats to myself, so that was nice. Across the aisle, a Korean kid was playing some strategy game on his laptop. I didn't recognize the game so I spoke to him for a while. But he didn't know a lot of English and I don't know any Korean so that was an interesting conversation. On the return flight, I had an aisle seat next to a young lady with a little kid so we killed a lot of time chatting about random stuff.

In Seoul, one official walked up to me and asked "US Army?" I burst out laughing and I have no idea what made him think I'd qualify to be in the Army.

On both flights, I managed to grab a seat in the first row, which meant I had a lot of legroom. My seat also had a power outlet. Had I known this earlier, I would have carried my laptop and some movies/games (somehow seatguru.com didn't have correct information). I used the power outlet to keep my iPod charged. By some miracle, all infants/little-kids on both flights were peaceful.

Summary: Overall, not a bad experience at all. While 15/16 hour flights can be a b!tch, I think it's better to complete the journey in one sitting, as opposed to flying for eight/nine hours, waiting an hour or two and catching another eight/nine hour flight.

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
Originally posted by: George P Burdell
UPDATE: Wow, this thread came back from the dead, so I guess an update wouldn't hurt. Cliffs at the end.

I flew Korean air, nonstop from ATL to ICN. Departing flight was 15 hours, the return was 13 hours (or vice versa), probably due to prevailing wind conditions.

I passed most of my time watching movies or listening to music. On the flight to ICN, I had lots of legroom and two seats to myself, so that was nice. Across the aisle, a Korean kid was playing some strategy game on his laptop. I didn't recognize the game so I spoke to him for a while. But he didn't know a lot of English and I don't know any Korean so that was an interesting conversation. On the return flight, I had an aisle seat next to a young lady with a little kid so we killed a lot of time chatting about random stuff.

In Seoul, one official walked up to me and asked "US Army?" I burst out laughing and I have no idea what made him think I'd qualify to be in the Army.

On both flights, I managed to grab a seat in the first row, which meant I had a lot of legroom. My seat also had a power outlet. Had I known this earlier, I would have carried my laptop and some movies/games (somehow seatguru.com didn't have correct information). I used the power outlet to keep my iPod charged. By some miracle, all infants/little-kids on both flights were peaceful.

Summary: Overall, not a bad experience at all. While 15/16 hour flights can be a b!tch, I think it's better to complete the journey in one sitting, as opposed to flying for eight/nine hours, waiting an hour or two and catching another eight/nine hour flight.

LOL I had the same thing happen the last time I flew out of Germany. When I went through customs to get my passport stamped the guy asked me if I was US military. I was wearing an Illini hat with a bright orange Illinois t-shirt so maybe he thought that was the uniform for the Illinois National Guard or something. :laugh:

DaWhim

Lifer
Feb 3, 2003
I had 15 hours flight to HK in late dec. I don't know what is the big deal about long flight. I wished the flight could've been longer.

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
Originally posted by: Scarpozzi
Mile High Club FTW!

That's what Ralph Fiennes did recently...the stewardess got fired over her fling with the actor.

STORY

TheGizmo

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
yea man, its called Xanax find a friend with some... pop 1 mg and drink a few beers. that ought to do the trick.

Azndude51

Platinum Member
Sep 26, 2004
Originally posted by: DaWhim
I had 15 hours flight to HK in late dec. I don't know what is the big deal about long flight. I wished the flight could've been longer.

You, sir, are crazy. I can't stand long flights, it can so uncomfortable sitting in a metal tube for hours and hours.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Juno
suck it up. i flew 14 hours each occasion between jfk airport in long island, ny and seoul, south korea.

JFK to Seoul is only 14??? Then why does it take 15 to go from Vancouver to Taipei???

Kanalua

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2001
I take my laptop and my pocketpc and watch movies, tv shows the whole way. If you are smart, get a seat with power...then you don't have to worry about battery issues (did 8 hours Hawaii to Dalllas and then Dallas to Minneapolis all with power...it was so nice!)

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Azndude51
Originally posted by: DaWhim

You, sir, are crazy. I can't stand long flights, it can so uncomfortable sitting in a metal tube for hours and hours.

What's "crazy" about it?

Was he supposed to run laps up and down the aisles and climb the walls??

THAT would be crazy.

;)