How do I survive a 15 hour nonstop flight?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

arrfep

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2006
No power outlets in economy, and I'm a student who can't afford business class.

I'm thinking about getting an external charger for the iPod and a bunch of AA batteries

This looks like it might be a good idea if you don't have access to power outlets.

Cristatus

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2004
One things for sure: you don't want to be sitting the whole time, so make sure that you get some movement, even if it's just going to the bathroom every couple of hours. And try to drink water, and not other liquids, especially alcohol, because they dehydrate you so much.

Trikat

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: AkumaX
I got lucky and my airline had a built-in SNES. i beat Link to the Past and Super Punch Out!!!

SHENS! I CALL SHENS! Too cool to be true!

Anyways, find out if the plane has an outlet for power, but some need adapters/converters. If it does have one bring a laptop or some other movie player.
O yea some economy class planes do have outlets, but I think it is only on the bigger planes.

SWScorch

Diamond Member
May 13, 2001
make sure you get up and walk up and down the aisle every hour or so. If you sit in one spot for too long (especially at high altitude) you can get a deep-vein thrombosis.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Bateluer
Take a valium pill and a couple beers. You'll sleep the entire flight.

Fixed that one...at least for me, valium works better, and since I'm allergic to hydrocodone, I don't break out in hives...;)

jai6638

Golden Member
Apr 9, 2004
Inflight movies, sleep, music and you are there! FIfteen hours will pass in no time... You just need to get used to it..

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
skip sleep the night before, pop a couple of melatonin right before then sleep maybe 12 out of the 15 hours of the flight

igowerf

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
Originally posted by: Trikat
I got lucky and my airline had a built-in SNES. i beat Link to the Past and Super Punch Out!!!

Anyways, find out if the plane has an outlet for power, but some need adapters/converters. If it does have one bring a laptop or some other movie player.
O yea some economy class planes do have outlets, but I think it is only on the bigger planes.

Not shens. All of the trips I've taken to Taiwain in the last couple of years (probably 8 years) have had a small LCD built into the back of each chair. There are several channels to watch and a couple SNES games to play.

I just watched movies, Seinfeld episodes, played FZero, Punchout, etc.

MercenaryYoureFired

Nov 8, 2006
I did one of those 15 hour flights before, it was an awful experience.

I decided that it would be a great idea to get tons of sleep the day prior to take off. I then proceeded to consume a ridiculous amount of caffeine that morning while only packing a single book to read.

I didn't get a wink of sleep during the whole flight, took off from Chicago at about 12 noon, and arrived in Japan at about 2 in the afternoon, I was incredibly tired that whole day.

My best bit of advice is to just not consume any caffeine before leaving. =)

Safe trip.

-MYF

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Economy? Sux0rz!

Business class was nice. Personal video display, power reclining seat, power outlet for laptop, cute chick next to ya...

AkumaX

Lifer
Apr 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Trikat

Trikat, you just got pwn3d :D

B00ne

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: George P Burdell
I'm flying nonstop across the international date line. What do I do to keep myself entertained for 15 hours?

Some of the things I thought of:
1. Load up iPod and listen for 15 hours.
Problems: battery won't last that long, can't listen to music for 15 hours nonstop, need better headphones.
Can you recommend a decent pair of noise-canceling headphones that won't hurt my wallet?

2. Grab a few good books.
Problems: can't read for 15 hours, kinda rude to leave my reading light on when everyone else is sleeping.

3. Skip sleep the night before the flight. As soon as flight is in the air, consume ridiculous amounts of red wine and fall asleep.
Problems: Will wake up with a bad base of economy class syndrome.

4. Make out with hot chick in the next seat.
Problems: You wish!

Any suggestions?

If it is a 747, then go to the back of the plane where the emergency slides are and the hull tapers - there is a bit of space. than place can be quite like a tiny bar: chat up with others and drink beer all night. During a Lufthansa flight I made the attendents where serving beer and snacks there and didnt mind the little gathering there :)

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: lokiju
Unabridged audio book on Ipod.

FTW. Audiobooks make flights go really fast.

Though you might need a battery extender.

ngvepforever2

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2003
If you have a laptop write Othello (or any other cool game) in Lisp :D (I think that was what my professor said he did during his flight to Japan)

Regards

ng

KarmaPolice

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I will be coming home from tokyo soon and thats a long one. For some reason the flight here didnt seem to bad. I had started talking to the girl next to me and that kept me busy for about 3 hours. My sony player which will last more then 15 hours kept me going but honestly not most of the time. I read some my poker books. I tried to sleep but I can never do it untill the last hour or so and then there is no point. I watched one movie the rest sucked.

Britboy

Jul 25, 2001
2. has always been my preference for trips to England (8 hours or so). First half booze it up, second half sleeping/passed out, you're there in no time! I can't say it makes me feel any worse because the alternative is little to no sleep and then an entire day awake in the UK.

Now they want to charge you for alcohol so I supppose it could get expensive.

TTM77

Golden Member
Dec 21, 2002
Many good advice I see reading through the thread.

For me getting wasted will add flame to gas.

I could never sleep on airplane even when I was up 24hrs.

Movie - I could only handle 3 movies in a day.
Game - and the rest I pretty much burned playing the in flight games. You can even play against some1 seating elsewhere on board. I was playing Tetris with my sis sitting next to me.
Music - My cell phone can play MP3 but they kept coming over telling me to turn it off, I got tired of telling them it's in "flight mode" and had to hide it but got bored too after listening to it for so long.
Book - I tried book once but didn't really work out.
Laptop - My batt lasted only 30mins or so. But still the seat was tight and uncomfortable. And had to turn off everytime they serve food. And major problem was no AC plug.
Hang out in the back - Did that too.. it's nice to walk around a little. U can kneel down and look out through the emergency window and pictures stuff using the clouds. But really it looks so lonely to me.

Noise canceling headphone - You better going with a cheap 1 b/c they all function about the same. These headphone more tune to jet engine noise so it's nice that it cancel out like 30% or so, so U still can hear it going but not as much.

Air is really dry in airplane and even worse when it's such a long flight. You could ask for some water and tissue. Damped the tissue and just cover your face when U're pretending to sleep. You could also ask for Motion sickness pills and I believe sleeping pill too. I've tried them and it didn't work for me.

Over all I wish I could sleep.

PS: I love watching Korean stewardesses. They are cute looking girls and 99% are nice and pleasant.