How do I survive a 15 hour nonstop flight?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 25, 2004
Originally posted by: Baked
Bring your laptop, plug that baby into the outlet and play WoW for 15 hours straight.

No power outlets in economy, and I'm a student who can't afford business class.

I'm thinking about getting an external charger for the iPod and a bunch of AA batteries

Juno

Lifer
Jul 3, 2004
suck it up. i flew 14 hours each occasion between jfk airport in long island, ny and seoul, south korea.

JLGatsby

Banned
Sep 6, 2005
Serious: Just don't sleep for a longtime up to the flight so you'll be really tired and sleep through most of it.

JLGatsby

Banned
Sep 6, 2005
Originally posted by: irishScott
Laptop + Extra Battery(ies) + Nef

You can't use the internet on planes yet, can you?

Even in the middle of the ocean? (assuming he'll be in the ocean)

shopbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2000
you get really sick of your ipod about... six hours into your flight.

last time i did 15 hours, i slept, watched the movies, ate the food when it came around, slept, read a bit, watched some more movies, and slept. there's really nothing much else to do. if your flight isn't crowded, see if the flight attendant will let you switch seats and try to get three seats to yourself so you can lay down.

for my last 10 hour flight, i was on a 777 so i had my own screen, so i watched the movies i wanted to watch the entire flight. even when i fell asleep, i still had my headphones on so that i had that background noise instead of the plane engines.

swtethan

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2005
Originally posted by: George P Burdell
Originally posted by: Baked
Bring your laptop, plug that baby into the outlet and play WoW for 15 hours straight.

No power outlets in economy, and I'm a student who can't afford business class.

I'm thinking about getting an external charger for the iPod and a bunch of AA batteries

how do you know??? i think targus.com has a list of airplanes that has power outlets. I have been on many that have power for laptops.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: George P Burdell
I'm flying nonstop across the international date line. What do I do to keep myself entertained for 15 hours?

Some of the things I thought of:
1. Load up iPod and listen for 15 hours.
Problems: battery won't last that long, can't listen to music for 15 hours nonstop, need better headphones.
Can you recommend a decent pair of noise-canceling headphones that won't hurt my wallet?

2. Grab a few good books.
Problems: can't read for 15 hours, kinda rude to leave my reading light on when everyone else is sleeping.

3. Skip sleep the night before the flight. As soon as flight is in the air, consume ridiculous amounts of red wine and fall asleep.
Problems: Will wake up with a bad base of economy class syndrome.

4. Make out with hot chick in the next seat.
Problems: You wish!

Any suggestions?

Magazines, and a couple movies on a portable DVD player. Might be wise to invest in a PSP as well. All of that and a nap or two, you'll be fine.

invidia

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2006
The only time I slept for 15+ hours was when I had 40 hours of physical/field training in the Army during a weekend. Maybe you could do some intense workout for a couple hours and not sleep 24 hours before the flight. You'll probably pass out before get on the flight though.

jhayx7

Platinum Member
Oct 1, 2005
I just got back from a long flight last night. Left Auckland NZ and flew to LAX (12 hour flight) then LAX to Birmingham (5 hour flight). I flew Air New Zealand which was very impressive:thumbsup:

I don't know about your flight but ours left at 11pm. About an hour into the flight they served us dinner (and wine) which made made for some good sleeping. They have LCD's built into the headrests with an interactive system. They had a great selection of Movies/TV Shows/Sports/Music and Games to choose from. I watched LOTR3 while my wife played Tetris.

At the end of the movie I got sleepy so I shut the TV off and slept for about 6 hours. Woke up, watched a TV show that was a review of the mid-point of the Rally Racing season, episode of the Simpsons, then Family Guy, and last a part of the All Blacks game vs. Aus.

ZetaEpyon

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2000
My suggestions after recent nonstop flights to and from Japan:

Sleep as much as you can.
Take a book to read. If you adjust your light properly, it shouldn't be that disturbing to other passengers.
Music is nice, but your ears will probably get tired after a few hours.
Don't be afraid to get up and walk around just to get out of your seat for a little bit.

Aug 25, 2004
Originally posted by: JLGatsby
Originally posted by: irishScott
Laptop + Extra Battery(ies) + Nef

You can't use the internet on planes yet, can you?

Even in the middle of the ocean? (assuming he'll be in the ocean)

If I'm in the ocean, I'm sure I'll have other issues to worry about. :p

Mrvile

Lifer
Oct 16, 2004
Psh I do international flights (to China) all the time and 13 hours is nothing...just listen to music, read, watch the movies they provide (a huge time-killer), and sleep. You'll be there in no time.

HN

Diamond Member
Jan 19, 2001
remember, international flights have free alcohol. Although what you get varies, free is good...hell, even Tiger beer and some peanuts at several thousand feet up was great :thumbsup:

uberman

Golden Member
Sep 15, 2006
I was on Aeroflot for 17 hours. I couldn't sleep, the guy next to me did. He had sleeping pills.

Get some sleeping pills.

whistleclient

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2001
i've did a 17 hour flight once. i brought several books and never cracked them. brought several movies, never watched them. mostly you sleep, some inflight movies, eating. best is to sleep a huge chunk at the beginning so when you wake up it's only 7 hours left...