How do I approach my wife about her eating habits?

SaltBoy

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2001
If you think I'm vain and selfish and "need to look in the mirror", then please go to another thread.

Background - My wife gave birth to our first child two and a half months ago - a very happy, healthy baby boy. She is also breast-feeding the baby, which is a very good, healthy thing to do. Yay.

Unfortunately, my wife has also turned into an absolute pig, and it's beginning to show on her. She eats bags of candy, buys root beer floats - on average, about one a day - and also eats humongus meals three times a day. She's feeling anxious and lethargic and lazy and doesn't take any time to exercise. The only calorie burning she's doing is the breast feeding, but she's taking in so much more calories than she's burning. She still looks like she's pregnant, and quite frankly, she's becoming physically unattractive to me.

I just barely looked at her gulping down another root beer float, sighed, then got a "what's wrong?" question from her. I said "nothing" because the last thing I need is a bitchy wife attacking me for wanting her to be skinny. Actually, I could care less if she's skinny. I just want her to be healthy. Is a normal, regular diet too hard to ask for? What about 30 minutes of exercise a day? This isn't something I can push on her, but somehow, I want her to know how I feel.

And yes, I feel guilty for what could be considered a selfish request, but if I keep these feelings bottled in, I'm going to explode in a very nasty manner one day. And yes, I do exercise - 45 minutes. 6 days a week of hard cardio-vascular - and try to watch what I eat. I admit I eat unhealthy foods, but I do limit my intake. I haven't had a clothing-size change in 6 years.

iamaelephant

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2004
Maybe she is depressed? If so she should see a doctor. Is she showing any of the tell-tale signs (other than stuffing vast amounts of food down her gullet)? It's not selfish for you to want your wife to be healthy and attractive.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: SaltBoy
I haven't had a clothing-size change in 6 years.

I haven't either, but that doesn't mean I am healthy. *shrug*

Accipiter22

Banned
Feb 11, 2005
Originally posted by: iamaelephant
Maybe she is depressed? If so she should see a doctor. Is she showing any of the tell-tale signs (other than stuffing vast amounts of food down her gullet)? It's not selfish for you to want your wife to be healthy and attractive.

QFT....maybe post partum? If you talk to her about it, don't phrase it as a body image thing, frame it as a health concern, and maybe mental health (be careful how you word the mental health part).

Narmer

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2006
Originally posted by: KLin
postpartum depression?

People eat when they're depress?

OP, just be honest and tell her what's on your mind. Nothings better than the truth.

SaltBoy

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2001
postpartum depression?
I've thought about that, but she doesn't seemed "depressed". Having to take care of the baby makes her anxious at times, but I just assumed that's the case with all parents. It's not easy.

ColdFusion718

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2000
How about taking the wife and baby out for a stroll after or before dinner? I'm not married or in a relationship, but that's what I love doing--taking walks.

Mar 9, 2005
Originally posted by: ColdFusion718
How about taking the wife and baby out for a stroll after or before dinner? I'm not married or in a relationship, but that's what I love doing--taking walks.

if shes packing down root beer floats and bags o' candy she will need more than some walking.

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Narmer
postpartum depression?

OP, just be honest and tell her what's on your mind. Nothings better than the truth.

People eating too much/too little is one of many symptoms of depression.

mfs378

May 19, 2003
How about you choose an exercise activity that isn't normally associated with a standard exercise routine, like hiking or something. Go on the hike and see if you can use it as a jumping-off point to more exercise.

chusteczka

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2006
Support her, do not nag, and offer healthier alternatives when she feels like munching.
Take her and the baby outside for a walk, if it is not to early for the baby.
The fresh air provides energy and movement.
The active time with you will be enjoyable for her.

T3C

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2003
Danger zone - Donger zone.
No matter what you say it is going to come across wrong.
Good luck!

SaltBoy

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2001
Originally posted by: T3C
Good luck!
Thanks, I think... ;)

Chrono

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2001
Talk to her about it. Don't be mean. Just that you want her to be healthy and etc. instead of a pig. Like I've been saying... just because under the Lunar calendar that it's the year of the pig, you don't have to eat like a fvckin' pig.

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004
maybe she was one of those women who never enjoyed sex to begin with, and she subconsciously realizes that the fatter she is, the less sex she will have to have..? just a thought.

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
Originally posted by: aidanjm
maybe she was one of those women who never enjoyed sex to begin with, and she subconsciously realizes that the fatter she is, the less sex she will have to have..? just a thought.

That must be it.

/thread

:roll:

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Narmer
postpartum depression?

It depends on the person, and even then it can change. Some people always eat when they're feeling down, some people stop eating. When I'm in one of my lousy moods, I might be hungry and just eat constantly, or I might just feel so lousy that eating feels pointless so I go 8-10hrs without eating anything. It all depends on the various subtle differences in the kind of "bad" I'm feeling.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Lola says: DO NOT tell her she needs to lose weight. Have a doctor do it during a checkup. Otherwise she'll flip out.

Good idea, I think.

d3n

Golden Member
Mar 13, 2004
How about dong the grocery shopping, get those things our of the house. Try dried fruits, nuts, healthy fats that you can put into foods that help metabolism like avocado and coconut.
Make sure there is plenty of water around,

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: SaltBoy
Originally posted by: T3C
Good luck!
Thanks, I think... ;)

But, as sad as it is, hes so right.. Even when you tell them that you never intend to physically nor verbally hurt them. Even if you marry them which is a commitment to that trust. For some reason they will nearly always take whatever you say to the most extreme of distaste.

Women just can be so misunderstanding.

RbSX

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Originally posted by: aidanjm

I think.. you're an ass.

You're gay, you wouldn't have any idea what enjoyable heterosexual sex is like, so you can't pass comment here.